Scots Pine?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by lizardmarsh, Sep 11, 2020.

1. lizardmarsh

lizardmarsh Active Member

Hi:
    Let me know if this question is not allowed for the forum. I am assembling photos for a calendar creation from a long-ago trip to Scotland. I'd like to include this photo from Portree on the Isle of Skye. Scots Pine is the national tree of Scotland so that would be interesting if this is such a tree. Maybe the photo is not good enough? Does every tree or at least every conifer have distinct bark? Is it common for landscapers to use Scots Pine in British Columbia or western Washington (even though probably not recommended)? Our town has some pine trees in Boulevard Park Bellingham WA) which always look in awful health although they must be inherently beautiful trees; I don't know what kind of pine they are. I will post a photo of them.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like monkey puzzle

lizardmarsh likes this.
  3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

This pine is definitely not at all typical for Scots Pine (if that is Scots Pine at all).
    In fact, to me it resembles more a Larix, than a pine.

lizardmarsh likes this.
  4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to a Monkey-puzzle Araucaria araucana - these are quite commonly planted in larger gardens and parks in Scotland.

Let me know if you'd like some Scots Pine pics, I've got some from the native forests on Speyside in central Scotland.

lizardmarsh likes this.
  5. lizardmarsh

lizardmarsh Active Member

Thank you all for the great responses! In reading a bit about larix and monkey puzzle on the web, these are fascinating trees. On the web I compared bark of larch with bark of monkey puzzle and see that the example in my photo is definitely monkey puzzle. And this link about their conservation is tragic and fantastic both: It's hard to be leaf but Scotland can save the monkey puzzle tree from extinction - The Sunday Post Yes, Michael F, I would enjoy viewing photos of Scots Pine from native forests on Speyside :-) Thank you!

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks! Remembered there was already a couple in the Conifers Gallery section; I've added some more. Head here: Pinus sylvestris