British Columbia: Spring Swap - Greater Vancouver Area

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by heather2, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Karen: Don't worry about the basil and sunflowers. I broke down and bought some at Garden Works... along with other stuff I shouldn't buy! LOL Cecelia gave me some sunflower seeds to try out but I'm really just looking for Jade in particular right now. Thanks!

2. Magua

Magua Member

In my dazed state of post-night shift sleep, I transplanted the erythronium seedlings before they get large enough to be fussy. Well, I found more than one Erythonium sibiricum seedlings, which I can add to my list. I thought I only had one before. But remember that these are just germinated ones, so (with the exception of one) they don't even have seed leaves yet (at least the E. oregonum's mostly do), and don't look like anything at the moment, but I can assure you, the roots are coming out. Again, like the E. oregonum, don't disturb for a few years, and transplant only then dormant after two or three years. At this stage, though, I think they are okay to transplant to a temporary container if you like.

BCG: Sure those two are good. Want a E. sibiricum too? It's from the Gardens North Ruksans bulb collection. And what do you have for the small garden? I'm assessing what survived over the winter at the moment, and am disappointed in a few things. Sigh. Oh, and if you want, I can try to divide the viola verecunda v. yakusimana for you. I still haven't seen the flowers yet, but got a few seeds from it (and bought a few extra "insurance" at the rock garden show ;).

WCG: And an androsace or two for you. I haven't forgotten. :) I still need to dig out from my records whether those were the A. carnea or the ones from the mix. I think it's the latter, so the species is undetermined at the moment.

3. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

Heather - I am unable to access your profile, something about inadequate privileges. Do I have a profile you can access & email your address to me? Sorry, this forum is quite new to me. Thanks.

Lily

4. Magua

Magua Member

One more addition to my list: Anthyllis vulneraria coccinea. The darn things just germinated en masse today. But what made me do a double-take is that I just baggie-sowed them yesterday!!!

5. tiger_lily

Here is what I am planning to bring to the swap. Let me know if you’re interested in something, so I’ll make sure to bring it, and have your name on it. Otherwise, I’ll just bring whatever I have ready.

Chocolate mint
    Yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia punctata)
    Sedum (small silvery one)
    Sempervivums – family units – unnamed green with dark tips
    Sempervivums – family units - unnamed dark reddish one
    Small euphorbia (invasive!) – seems to be E. cyparissius “Fens Ruby”
    Lamb’s ear (Stachys byzantina)
    Masterwort (Astrantia major) – very small seedlings – I have lots!!
    Allium giganteum – very small seedlings
    5’ Tall Rudbeckia (believe it is “Autumn Sun”) – No seedlings are visible yet, but I collected seed, and then promptly forgot where I put them!! (BCGift52 – I’ll package some for you, if I find them!)
    Osteospermum “Soprano” purple – Can take lots of cuttings (have roots on them), I am hoping to trim these back anyhow
    Crocosmia (common orange one)
    Monarda didyma – red one (have the name for it if anyone would like)
    I also have a few small plants I’ve started from seed, available to a good home:
    - Cardoon - 2 seedlings
    - Echium pininana (biennial – 12’ reddish/purple flower spike in 2nd year) – 1 seedling
    - Echium pininana “Snow Tower” – same, but white flowers – 1 seedling
    I understand that the Echium may need to be over-wintered indoors.

These are the plants I would be interested in, if they are still available (if not, no worries, I can wait for future swaps):

BCGift52 – Codonopsis grey-wilsonii; lilium lancifolium; and the L. stoechas (thanks!)

Gardenfever – Variegated rockcress/arabis ferdinandi-coburgi

Heather2 – Potentilla “Melton Fire”

Magua – Erythronium oreganum; Anthyllis vulneraria coccinea

KarinL – Loropetalum chinense; Leycesteria formosa; Ranunculus ficaria “Brazen Hussy”

Vincent – Don’t know if it’s a good time of year, but I think the grape vines you gave me didn’t survive the winter, I’d like to try again.

I’d also be interested in any plants which would be suitable for trailing over the edge of my concrete retaining walls (other than those weird strawberries I have!! :-) ).

6. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Magus - missed your post earlier - sure E.sibiricum and baby viola sound good.

Tiger lily - all okay. By the way the echiums are not difficult to overwinter - you
    only need to take them in on freezing nights. This winter I didn't even bother, they
    stayed out all winter close to the house. They are monocarpic biennials. Are your
    allium giganteum the 'head' size one or ?

7. tiger_lily

BCGift52 - Not sure what you mean, but the full-grown alliums are maybe 5' tall with flowers the size of a tennis ball. Purple.

8. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Hi Lily, no problem on the rockcress.

I'm interested in your rudbeckia - if you can find seeds/seedlings. If not I can wait as well.

K.

9. heather2

heather2 Member

I'm going to be posting my address on the Vangard site, anyone that doesn't belong to that please email me at heather50_81@yahoo.ca or send me a private message here and I will reply with address, etc.
    As a reminder, the swap will be taking place starting 11AM on Saturday, April 22. I have already emailed details to some who expressed interest from Garden Web.

10. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

heather2: last spring or fall you gave me some white erysimum (I think that's what they were) - well they're not white but I'm not complaining. The buds start out a darker yellow and the blossoms are a pale yellow and each flower is quite big compared to other erysimums and a lot more fragrant. Would love to have the correct name so I can get some more, maybe other colours.

11. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Lily, the three you want from me are fine. I should warn you that the loropetalum cuttings are quite small, but they are sprouting buds so I'm convinced they're alive. And I would love one of those cardoon seedlings. As for trailing plants, I have two things that might work: one is a Bergenia Baby Doll. I am not normally big on these, but this has nice pale pink flowers and really fresh-looking green foliage, no burgundy. I saw a patch of bergenia tumbling over a wall along Cornwall/Point Grey Road where it looked great. The other thing is a Senecio greyi, of which I just found a piece that had layered itself and is well rooted. It has silvery evergreen foliage and yellow daisy-like flowers, although it seems to flower only reluctantly.

Magua I could probably handle one of those Erythronium seedlings. I don't know if your tight quarters permit you to take any plants back in trade...?

12. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

Have couple more seedlings ready to go:
    Leycesteria formosa
    Chiastophyllum oppositifolium "Solar Yellow"

13. Gardenfever

Somehow I bought more roses . . . I said I wouldn't but it just happened. Already have a jungle of eglanteria hybrids from Pickering still in pots. That apple fragrance in the foliage always delightfully surprises me.

Also, bought 5 clematis - fr. Gardenworks $4.95!!!! CHEAP!!! Looks like one year rooters if anyone cares. I NEEDED them to cover my once bloomers anyway - it's what I'm telling my husband so I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, so I need to make room on top of digging up more lawn:

Is anyone interested in a cherry laurel (3ft) or red twig dogwood (6-7ft)?
    I also have a small oakleaf hydrangea (rooted the fall of '04)
    I will probably be digging up an unknown rose I got from Katherine a couple of years back - it's a single once bloomer.
    Other's I don't think I've mentioned before:
    snowdrops, bluebells, pulmonaria 'sissinghurst castle'

Some tomato's I just germinated: duchess and early cascade.

Karen.

14. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Barvinok: Would love the chiastophyllum pls.

15. heather2

heather2 Member

BC Gift - I think the seedlings I gave you were Cheiranthus Cheiri "Ivory White", so they probably are a pale yellow colour. I got the seeds from Chiltern's.

16. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Karen (Gardenfever) - Could I please have some of your pulmonaria "sissinghurst" and snowdrops (I am trying to fill a very large area with snowdrops and will always take any anyone can bring me :-)

Karin - I am interested in Chiastophyllum oppositifolium "Solar Yellow"

Lily - My chocolate mint died last year and I would be happy to have some more. I am also interested in your small silver sedum.

Magus - I would like to try your Erythronium sibiricum if you still have one available. I am looking forward to the androsace's as well - thanks.

I have a couple of heirloom red currant tomato's that are a few inches tall.

17. KarinL

WCG, that was Anna with the Chiastophyllum but I wouldn't mind some of that either, Anna, if you have enough; if not no panic, I already have the green one.

Wants: Does anyone have Geranium psilostemon with an extra bit to trade? Also, if anyone has Sedum Mörchen I would love a bit. It is dark red, quite extraordinary, DH lost mine while digging up old landscape to make way for new.

WCG, I also have snowdrops galore. Consider them coming your way.

18. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

BCGift, WCG, Karin-yes for Chiastophylum

Karin could I have cutting of Loropetalum chinense, please

19. Magua

Magua Member

Hi, all. Just got back from an Easter trip to the Okanagan. Yes to all requests. I'll have to look at everyone's lists to see if there's anything I'd like, but it's not necessary. I just like to start them and give leftovers away. :)

Karin, I would like some snowdrops, if you still have some to spare. Love the little guys. They would be nice in pots in the Spring I think, before anything else comes out.

By the way, I came back to a few more things sprouting, so I'll list a few more goodies tomorrow. So far that I remember, Codonopsis clematidea, C. ovata, and C. meleagris. And some dryas, I think. I have to check to be sure, but they were collected wild in Alberta, and I didn't see the flowers, so I don't know whether they are D. octopetala or D. drummondii. Also, possibly a few dieramas. Unfortunately, BCG, no trichorhhizum yet.

20. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Renee - codonopsis ovata please. Not to worry about the trichorrhizum - I'm patient.
    I'll bring you some double snowdrops and lilies, but do check the list.

Heather2 - I can't remember if I gave you the Echinacea 'Green Edge' you wanted, if not, I can bring you one. There was also a thalictrum you wanted - I can't remember which one it was, but I'll bring t.chelidonii and t.dipterocarpum for you.

21. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

Hi green thumbs, I have the following:

african violet: pink with ruffles, and purple
    dahlias: wildwood marie (pink+yellow lily variety), pagoda (red)
    obedient plant
    succulents (various)

If available, would love a cyclamen (BARVINOK), hosta (HEATHER2 / GARDEN FEVER), and clematis (BCGIFT52). Thanks!

Cecelia

22. KarinL

If anyone is in touch with Tania, I need to find a home for that Green Gage Plum she wanted - or can anyone suggest how to contact her?

Snowdrops no problem Rene, I'll bring singles since you're getting doubles from BCG.

Anna/barvinok, fine for the Loropetalum, but I think that is the last one I have.

Karen, I'll owe you something for those tomatoes... any thoughts? My MIL may be able to take that Viburnum, by the way, so you can spare yourself the torment of picking it up unless you REALLY want it.

23. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Karin and BCGift: Would it be possible to get some more snowdrops from you too?... Seems like they're getting popular here :-)

Does anyone want any Venetian blinds? I can bring a blind to cut up for everyone. These things are perfect for making plant labels. Please let me know.

24. Gardenfever

Katherine, I'll bring the sissinghurst for you and snowdrops.

KarinL. I'd love a brazen hussy if you have an extra one. Re: If you're MIL would take it that works out great! It wouldn't be a torment though :o)

thanks! Karen.

25. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Cecelia: Okay for clematis. Are your succulents hardy or are they indoor ones but in any case I'll have one thanks.

Helen: Okay for snowdrops. Good reminder to everyone to label their trades. 1b or 2b pencil on aluminium blinds last a long time.

KarenL: Last time I spoke to Tanya at Gardenweb in the fall. If you remember her 'name' at Gardenweb, you can go to 'members' and do a search for her and can
    email her from there.