Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash tbh R, Red Sentinal or Twombleys has in some ways a better reticulation than the ghosts.
    Next time your there then !!!!! Lol.

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

OMG! With my 30, and about 25 other maples species, I'm already running out of space. OK, If I were more organised...

Actually, I'm glad that Maillot is out of stock for Mr Sun, I was ready to buy one ! And I won't check if they still have one of the "ghost" series. I must not, I must not...

EDIT : I did check. They still have 1 'Purple Ghost'. I'll wait until tomorrow morning, maybe someone will have bought it.

3. Acerholic

@dicky5ash been busy in the garden and only just read this post. I am exactly the same R, I say I mustn't to myself several times, but succumb every time.
    Looking at Lukes @Luke’s Maples collection, I think he will have the largest on here very soon, if not already. But if you have the room, then why not. It's a fantastic and harmless hobby.
    Re Purple ghost, A @zfrittz purchased one from Maillot two weeks ago and they said it was the last one then. So perhaps their website has not been updated !!!!?

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hi, When I bought it they only had a purple ghost in a 3 liter pot, but I just looked and now they have 2, one in a 1.5 liter pot and another in 3 liters.
    I have to say that it came with the leaves quite toasted.

5. Acerholic

Yes, anything purchased now is for next years show, but what a show they will be.

6. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

However Alain you have a considerable number of Bonsai..an undisclosed number..I am in awe of your bonsai trees, the time and patience it must take.. my 2 look very poor

7. Acerholic

@AlainK this is so very easy to buy just too many, especially when there are so many new varieties being released weekly now, it is hard to say no.
    I am trying to work on quality not quantity and thought as a couple of my friends have double the amount of maples I have, that I was being sensible.

But !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Good morning and after last night's announcement here in the UK that as from Monday more restrictions again and even Christmas family gatherings maybe curtailed somewhat. I hope the Autumnal colours will give us a little cheer.
    So here are a few I took earlier this morning and my personal favourite in my garden today is 'Vic Pink'.

Attached Files:

9. dicky5ash

Here’s something slightly different to our normal photo posts...I’m obsessed with the trunks and form of our trees and how they develop over time... I’ve included below a photo of the truck followed by the leaf so you can see what belongs to what. All of these trees are 10-25yrs old

1. Garnet
    2. Shishigashira
    3. Baldsmith
    4. Osakazuki
    5.shigitatsu sawa
    6. Sango Kaku
    7. Katsura
    8. Ornatum

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

@dicky5ash what a fantastic posting R, really enjoyed this!! I feel exactly the same btw.

'Great trees' and photos.

dicky5ash likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

Thanks some more to come they are uploading

12. Acerholic

13. dicky5ash

1 Viridis
    2 Ariadne
    3. Beni Hag
    4. Emerald lace
    5 Asahi Zuru
    6. Shiraz
    7 J. Aureum
    8. Can’t remember lol, think sumi nagashi
    9.Linearilobum
    10. Unknown red palmatum

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

@dicky5ash your two postings this morning have certainly cheered me up R. 'Love them all '. Aureum is amazing btw.

dicky5ash likes this.
  15. dicky5ash

Thanks D, I’d prefer the aureum had some lower leaf growth..there was one lower branch of leaves but as you can see it withered away and no leaves on it this year, it’s a healthy tree but all top canopy.. I did wonder whether to try that slit cutting technique I read about. Any ideas on that last red palmatum?

16. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, Sumi nagashi looks a very good bet IMO R. Re the slit or slot cutting, I think it maybe a bit late now. Late Spring or early Summer is best.

17. dicky5ash

Thanks D. No not thinking this year for slit cutting.
    Not sure what that last red palmatum is..

18. Acerholic

@dicky5ash sorry been out to the nusery! so only just seen your last R.
    I think it maybe Acer palmatum. It has the characteristics IMO. A very strong and reliable grower. Perfect for seedlings for grafting.

dicky5ash likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Good morning, had lots of PM's last night, so took photos mainly of what people were asking about and a few others. One in particular 'Orido Nishiki' showing strange varigation.
    Also Atropurpureum for J @zfrittz as promised, as it was too dark last night to take it !!.
    My personal favourite this morning in my garden is 'Peaches and cream', with amazing new growth. But Ukigumo, what can I say, it did it again for me this morning.

Attached Files:

20. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all. Been soooo busy for the last couple of weeks and have spent little time enjoying my beautiful trees. The sun is coming up, there is a slight chill in the air and I must say.. some of them are looking superb.

Here are a few pics.
    Purple Ghost
    Aureum
    Viridis
    Ariadne
    Katsura
    Jordan
    Aconitifolium
    Irish Lace
    Autumn Glory
    Flavescens
    Sango Kaku

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples good morning Luke. Why does work get in the way??? So annoying, Lol !!! But it does help to pay for the next maple or two !!
    Great photos and your Aconitifolium is Soooo dark, beautiful!!!
    I wonder if Aureum is going to give an Autumn show? Think mine is going to go brown and drop it's leaves soon. But that is normal with this one. Yours may hold on, lets hope so.
    Your garden must be really colouring up now after seeing your pics today and the best still to come next month.
    A nice warm weekend to come to enjoy your trees, so hopefully you get some time to do so.

I enjoyed these Luke.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  22. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The situation is similar here. The government will announce new measures shortly and hospital directors are worried with the seasonal flu coming soon...

Some maples are beginning to show "real" Autumn colours, like this one (unknown cv, the colours were much more luminous yesterday) :

acerp-div_200911a.jpg

Also, flowers indicating the end of Summer, though much fewer flowers compared to previous years, probably because of the drought :

- Colchicus (all French people know the traditional song "Colchiques dans les prés..."
    - Tricyrtis
    - Cyclamen (naturalized)

colch-cil_200909a.jpg tricyrtis_200911a.jpg cyclamen_200911a.jpg

23. Acerholic

@AlainK, good morning Alain, the old saying of red and green should never be seen, certainly does not apply to your U/k cultivar. The upper central leaf in your picture is gorgeous.
    Regarding the situation on this virus, yes it seems we maybe in for a difficult Winter, so lots of colour from everyone this Autumn will definatly help to look at through those long dull days and evenings.

24. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi D noticed your O/N some pics of mine now from today showing some nicer colours in the Autumn since it defoliated than it did in the spring , very weird year !! only thing now is that i won't see a good fall colour , seeing lots of colours now the temps are dropping.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good afternoon M, so very pretty, but I don't know about you, they look so very delicate in this state at this time of the year. Will we be doing a lot more die back work after this Winter!!!?

But whatever happens, let's enjoy these beautiful colours now at least and I agree color changes is a daily thing now. Wonderful time for we maple enthusiasts.