Acer palmatum 'Coral Pink'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by FredericB, Jan 13, 2009.

1. FredericB

FredericB Member

This form was selected in the Kalmthout Arboretum, Belgium in 1965 and firstly commercialized by Esveld in the eighties. Does anyone of you know the parentage of this lovely plant? Does it come from an old Senkaki? Thanks for letting me know.
    Fred.

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer Palmatum Coral Pink

I have no idea about the lineage, but I've read that its a little finicky to grow - sort of delicate. Of course, that would never stop me from trying it!! LOL!

Here's a description from World Plants:

'An upright dwarf that may reach 6' in your lifetime if you stay fit. The pink color
    is very showy on new growth, and persists a long time, but the tree is delicate and
    needs a spot that is sheltered from drying winds and direct sun. Not many
    cultivars have this unusual color.'

And one from Greers:

'6', DWARF, green. This slow-growing upright has a great deal of seasonal interest. It emerges in spring with bright coral-pink foliage that becomes pale yellow with a pink edge and then turns light green with gray-green mottled variegation in early summer. Afternoon sun protection should be provided in warmer climates. Because of its low chlorophyll count, it can be difficult to propagate. It is well worth waiting to find.'

And from Medocino Maples:

'Coral Pink is an unusual and very attractive Acer palmatum with coral-pink pink leaves which emerge in the spring. Summer sees a change to a light speckled green leaves. Nice yellow and orange fall color. 8-10 feet in ten years. Morning sun / part shade. '

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

"maples of the world"
    is in the trade from 1985 after 20 years in observation by R.De Belder..
    i have one ,for the first season ,branch and trunk not similar to senkaki ...
    not pics available for the moment
    ciao

4. FredericB

FredericB Member

Thanks Kaitain4 & Alex66 for your information. I've ordered mine and will have it this summer. I've been to Kalmhout arboretum and ordered a seedling form. I found confusing that the cultivar illustrated in the Vertrees book didn’t really look the same plant: the leaves are much smaller in size with some variegated green color whereas the one I saw had different tones ( some “fading salmon pink-white-green colors”) very hard to describe and really breathtaking. An astonishing little plant!
    Fred.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The plant has been in my garden, planted in the ground in dappled shade, for 4 years. Propagator was Esveld.

It is a very, very slow grower: after 4 years is only about 30 cm high.

The first picture was taken in March, the second beginning April, the third one end of April and the fourth one end of August; all in 2008.

As you can see the plant goes through a lot of changes in leaf color and patterns, however, in spite of its name, there is not a lot of pink.

I suggest this post be moved to the gallery.

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. alex66

nice pics Gomero!!nice maple too,i'm very happy that add this in my garden last autumn...

7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is a nice tree for spring, during the year it is ok.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

Well I bought this one 5 or so years ago from a local nursery. It was labeled 'Coral Pink' The tree is a very pretty tree but based on the photos I have taken from other 'Coral Pink" I have purchase, I would guess this one doe not fit the correct discription.

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

Spring colors for 2012 look similar to 2011. It has some nice color similar to Murakumo at this time of year.

Attached Files:

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Ok...I am not sure why this tree does not get more attention. Maybe I got something special by mistake. My Coral Pink came from Buchholz Nursery in a 12" cedar box. It's been in my collection for 3 years. The first year it became very apparent that this tree can't handle the full spectrum of afternoon sun. So we moved it to morning thru early to early-mid afternoon sun. It really seems to like it there. Here is a picture of the Spring color in the first photo.(note no photo processing, as I want to capture the true colors)

Here is a picture of it's summer color with some stress (second photo). Note, that in past seasons the highlights of color were not quite as saturated as this season. Summer stress can be beautiful on some varieties of Japanese maples, that is as long as you can keep them happy and the leaf is not pushed over the edge to failure.

The last three photos (taken today) shows the bark, which I think is quite remarkable (so does everyone who visits the garden). At the trunk it is yellow and as you follow it up it becomes a yellow-orange, reddish, then more pink at the tips of the finer branching. This is the part that is never mentioned. My tree has great winter interest like a coral bark maple. The coral pink colors of the bark and Spring foliage helps support the name 'Coral Pink'. Did Talon's people send me the wrong tree by mistake (unlikely, because they never make mistakes)? Did I get a mutation off of Coral Pink, or maybe it's just the characteristics of a younger tree. What ever it is...I love this tree for everything it has to offer during all the seasons!

Attached Files:

Cattwooduk likes this.
  11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I did some research on Kalmthout Arboretum and it's ties to 'Coral Pink'. I came across this Flickr page of photos of the Arboretum and found two photos of a mature specimen of 'Coral Pink' at the Arboretum:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/5646901853/in/set-72157626561310080/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/5647466636/in/set-72157626561310080/

Here is a link to the arboretum photo set (for those who are interested in seeing some great photos of this beautiful arboretum):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/sets/72157626561310080/

I hope we can trust that the Kalmthout Arboretum has the right tree? (one would certainly think so) This tells me that it's very possible this tree has some impostures out there...(which is not surprising) It would be nice to find some more pictures of the tree 'Coral Pink' at Kalmthout Arboretum throughout the growing season.

12. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Just got my Coral Pink today - or, at least I'm hoping it's Coral Pink. The newer branches are pinkish, but most of the trunk and larger branches are green. I'm not sure if this has been in a greenhouse or not, perhaps some sun exposure will help color up the trunk?? It is about 4' tall and roughly 18" wide, and it does have an overall nice structure to it. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations :)

Attached Files:

13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Attached Files:

14. Shami

Shami New Member

Late autumn. Unbelievable colour.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Coral Pink in June 2020 starting a second flush. It grows nicely in full sun compared to other pink varieties I have.

D

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

6 weeks since I posted my Coral Pink. It's hot today 31st July 2020 and new growth is still emerging and looking pretty.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    And still new growth another 5 weeks on. It is happy now, but probably won't be when the first frost hits.

Attached Files:

18. alex66

this is my Coral pink (spring colors)

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

@alex66 good morning Alex, such a pretty tree and yours is so delicate and graceful. 'Love it'.

20. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    And still the new growth comes!!!! So strange is 2020 !!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Coral Pink. So much colour in transition!!!

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Coral pink has hardened off the new growth, so hopefully it will cope this Winter.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

September 30th 2020 and my Coral pink now has the colours it should. Gets better and better now until the leaves drop.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

9th October 2020 and the delicate shades of my Coral pink are very evident now. Not every maple has to be vivid colours to give pleasure.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

27th October 2020 and my Coral Pink has coloured up nicely now, this tree is grown in full sun and never has a problem with that. Hope that's of help @SLR2009.

Attached Files: