Ideas for new maples in my garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sun, Jul 27, 2020.

1. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, I have just seen your post about the heights, yes that definitely helps, thank you!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@sun glad it helps A.

sun likes this.
  3. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, excuse me D, another question. Do you think it were better to let autumn moon and Moonrise switch places. I thought Autumn moon needs a bit more shade than Moonrise, that's why I put it there, but I also read that Autumn moon will grow to a nicer habit than Moonrise, so if you think autumn moon can have full sun , I would consider swapping the two of them as the one behind Beni Otake will not be seen so well as the one further to the right side.

4. Acerholic

@sun, not a problem with another question A. The Shirasawanum's are very tetchy maples. Yes Autumn moon does need a bit more shade than Moonrise. But it's how much both will receive. It is quite a fine balance, in my garden Moonrise gets about 2 hrs more sun than Autumn moon, but and here is the but. Neither get direct afternoon sun.
    All the Shirasawanum's can fry in too much sun and they end up with curled up brown leaves in September with little to no Autumn colour.
    Remember the rule of thumb for Japanese maples, is that they are primarily under story trees. Dappled shade wherever possible.
    Looking at your placements, there will be enough shade from the larger trees.
    So to summarise Autumn moon cannot take full 'afternoon' sun.

Hope all that made some sense A.

sun likes this.
  5. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, thank you D, do you share the opinion that Moonrise hasn't got a nice habit?

6. Acerholic

@sun tbh A no, I love how it grows and hangs down in the Spring and then in Summer as the leaves mature rises upwards. It is all about where you plant it. It is a bit like the scenario about a weed. A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.
    So it goes for Moonrise, in the right place it is perfect. I would not be without it A.

sun likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@sun , just a little Moonrise in my garden in Spring A.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  8. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, okay, thank you D, then I will leave them like that, I would love to start digging the holes tomorrow, but rain is coming tonight and most of tomorrow, so I have to wait a little longer...

9. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, that looks amazing together with the red! Thank you and sleep well!

10. Acerholic

@sun thought I would tell you first A as we have been talking about it, I have Acer Shirasawanum 'Mr Sun' being delivered to me by the end of the week. Rather excited here!!! Lol.

Luke’s Maples and sun like this.
  11. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, congratulations D, I haven`t regretted taking mine home with me! I am looking forward to see yours.

I just realized that there is a vertical shaft for our water-water heat pump right where I had planned to plant Butterfly. It is covered by lawn and I didn`t haven even thought about it for the last 15 years since we built the house. They told us that usually there is no need to have access to this one, only in very rare circumstances. I just removed small parts of the lawn to look for it. If I put Butterfly a little bit more in the direction of the fence, it is as close as 30 cm to the shaft, but it can put its roots freely in all the other directions. Do you think that`s okay? At the moment Butterfly is in a rather small pot of about 30 cm.

12. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic
    My Mr. Sun is a Mr.Rain today:
    20200901_144459.jpg 20200901_144510.jpg
    I like its glossy leaves, they are really special as they are kind of shimmering.

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@sun Thankyou A yes I'm looking forward to receiving it. Regarding your water heat pump, I think tbh you ought to get advice from the manufacturers as the material it was built from could be penetrated by the roots in years to come. I know maples are shallow rooting and are not known for causing damage to house footings etc, but not knowing the material is a bit of an unknown.

Sorry I cannot offer you some advice on this occasion A.

sun likes this.
  14. Acerholic

sun likes this.
  15. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, concerning the shaft, it is one of those strong concrete shafts , so I think we don`t have to worry, do we?

16. Acerholic

@sun a strong concrete shaft will stop any maple roots A. So it sounds safe for your Butterfly.

sun likes this.
  17. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , okay, I am glad, so I hope Butterfly will be fine with it.
    I think round holes would look better in this area near the pool, last time you recommended square ones, does it make much difference?

18. Acerholic

@sun It's to do with the roots A. Round holes has the tendancy to make the roots continue going round and so a better chance of girdling.
    So it's not about aesthetics, it's about the future of the tree, not being strangled by its own roots.
    Hope that makes sense.

19. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, okay thank you D, I understand now, so I will dig square holes a little wider than necessary and afterwards make it look round by sowing grass at the corners, of course not in the drip line.

20. Acerholic

@sun exactly A !!! Its all about the roots.

sun likes this.
  21. Acerholic

@sun it arrived A , Acer Shirasawanum 'Mr Sun'. Not looking fantastic atm. But I am sure it will do next Spring and perhaps some colour in a few weeks.
    We will have to compare, Lol.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  22. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, I am sure it will be at its best with your good care (misting in the dark and so on, very impressing).But I like that it looks quite compact. You didn't order it from Baumschule Nielsen, did you?

23. Acerholic

@sun thank-you A. Yes it is compact, but I don't know if I will keep it that way. Perhaps in a couple of years I may thin it out a little. But for now it just needs to settle in it's new environment.
    It came from Esveld in the Netherlands. Baumschule Nielsen was out of stock. I think some one might have bought the last one. Wonder who that was !!???? Lol.
    How is your planting going? Anymore in place ?

sun likes this.
  24. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, btw, I have been working very hard for the last 2 days, I started to dig all 6 holes for the next planting session and did a lot of separating different soil types on different piles.
    Everything took very long as there were some bad surprises. Apart from the shaft that I told you I also discovered a lot of pipes for our irrigation system and cables which had to be dug out and removed or put somewhere else. I also bought soil components for my maples today.
    I hope that I can plant Beni Otake, Autumn Moon, Tsuma Gaki, Moonrise , Butterfly, Atropurpureum and Koto no ito during the Weekend. As soon as I ve done it, you will get a picture...

Acerholic likes this.
  25. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, I correct:it's 7 holes..., extremely exhausted, go to sleep now, good night!