Pieris in container

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by flowercents, Apr 3, 2006.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I needed something to liven up our front entry, and bought a peiris flaming silver and plan to put it in a 17" container. Will it be able to live in this container for years before growing too big? It is in a 1 gal size pot now.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

I'd say yes.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

You will have to repot occasionally to renew the potting medium- soilless medium breaks down fairly quicky and will compact if not replaced on a regular basis.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

You might also contact the nearest bonsai club/society to learn how to prune roots every couple of years to keep it healthy and happy.

5. jetoney

jetoney Active Member

I have a pieris japonica 'mountain fire' in a pot, and it is doing nicely. In fact, it looks much healthier than the ones that I have in the landscape. The latter seem to suffer from the slightest exposure to winter winds.

6. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Jetoney, is the one you have in the pot outdoors? Mine is outdoors on the north side of our house, and I think I may have to move it to a more sheltered spot in the winter, because of wind.

7. Tennyo

Tennyo Member

Pieris are very susceptible to drying winds. If you can keep them protected a little they will be fine. One mistake I have made is not watering mine enough while in a pot. You will see the flower buds dry to brown first then slowly the leaves brown from the tips in, if you aren't watering enough.

8. jetoney

jetoney Active Member

I keep it outdoors and move it into the garage (near the window so that it get some light) during the winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010