Identification: ID please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by willi2, Aug 20, 2020.

1. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Trying to determine exactly what this is to understand expected mature height and spread. There are about 20 of these on the property, and the ‘plan’ says Fagus Sylvatica ‘Dawyck Purple which to my limited understanding is a Beech. Also, every year these come down with what I assume is a form of powdery mildew, which is unsightly , but I’m not sure it’s particularly harmful. There is also one of them that is stunted in comparison to the others (the last picture), for which I’m going to get a ladder and see if I can get a close-up of the leaves and will post back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@willi2 I am thinking Acer x Freemanii. Its columnar form is typical of this tree, but tbh the leaves are throwing me a bit.

3. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Leaves red? They look like that in the group image.
    maybe Acer platanoides 'Crimson Sentry'

4. Acerholic

@kbguess, I see your point K, especially as Crimson sentry is prone to powdery midew. It's just the third photo that is confusing me.

5. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

It does muddle the picture
    Maybe the 3rd picture is a "red herring" LOL

6. Acerholic

7. willi2

willi2 Active Member

The green leaves were the only ones I could reach to get a half decent picture. If, it helps, they are probably from ‘suckers’ (don’t hang me on terminology ) originating lower down on the trunk. I’ll try again to get close to the mostly red ones.

8. Acerholic

Crimson sentry is grafted, so the leaves in photo 3 are from the rootstock. So I think K @kbguess thoughts are correct.

9. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Ok....not suckers as from root level...just to be clear, but those annoying shoots (branches) from the trunk...I think I’ve misled the thread with a picture of the most ‘photogenic’ leaves I’ll get a ladder and try and get close up of leaves more representative of the majority. Please bear with me...

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with one of the purple-brown leaf cultivars of Norway Maple. The sprout leaves (pic 3) are presumably just a green Norway Maple; can't be Freeman's Maple as that is not graft-compatible with Norway Maple.

11. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Ok...stopped raining and a brighter day. I’ll try some more pictures. You can see the leaves are clearly green. I think it’s a bit of an optical illusion. The edges most of the leaves have a reddish cast. Maybe getting ready for fall? When you stand back and look at the tree, it definitely, at this time, has that reddish look...but the actual leaves look like the good shot I got today.

The last photo shows the center of the tree with leaves crumbing and falling off. I can’t tell if they been headed back at this time, but could that be why there’s so much twiggy growth? If they’ve all been headed, would it be worthwhile to have an arborist take a look at them, or is the damage done and can’t be helped... I hate it when people hack at trees especially ones that charge people to do I.

thanks people, I think I’m giving up after this.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

So now we have a definate green and a clearer photo , I think we may be looking at the Acer platanoides columnare.
    A good arborist can prune these and shape the overall effect of the trees. But if they have been topped it will be difficult to obtain the desired and natural effect. So do not expect miracles to happen in the short term. But given time ..........

13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Whatever is going on with the few close up shots that show quite green leaves the group photos are all clearly of 'Crimson Sentry' - a much planted and distinctive introduction. Distinctive including the mildewing, which is quite consistent with this variety.

14. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I agree with the others, probably 'Crimson Sentry'.

15. Acerholic

@willi2, OK so the all green you say is very evident and 'not reds' as it was an optical illusion has thrown me. Thought I would copy a link of a photo of Crimson Sentry for you. All in agreement that it is an Acer platanoides though.
    Acer platanoides 'Crimson Sentry'