Speaking of Giant Sequoias

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by dirt reaper, Apr 22, 2008.

1. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Dear Dirt Reaper,

Where exactly is this? I "Googled" for Hood Canal and found a large channel. Is there a town by that name? What is your average annual precipitation there?

Where you might have an issue is that if it's really damp there and at a low elevation, your trees might be subjected to juniper rust or root rot. I was reading where some giant Sequoias in Portland died from root rot. But I am sure that you will NOT have an issue with the cold. That's my problem in Indiana. I'm at the lower end of zone 5 and most Sequoias are only cold hardy to zone 6.

I have planted some specimens that were sold as "cold hardy" but the jury is still out. It might be a number of years before I can determine if they can live here. That's because we don't get a hard winter every year. I had two trees that were not sold as cold hardy and one lived for six years and the other for ten until it also succumbed in the very hard winter of 2014.

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

He mentioned the town name, Tahuya. Here's the google map.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@fredmcain good evening Fred. It appears it is zone 8a or b, but rather wet according to this link.
    Zipcode 98588 - Tahuya, Washington Hardiness Zones
    Your zone 5 is really not suitable for Giant Sequoias.
    We all would like to grow trees that we like but can't, but at least with a little bit of travel, we can see these wonderful beauties of nature.

4. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Actually, the Sequoia "Hazel Smith" strain is reputed to be hardy to zone 5 but they don't guarantee that. So, we'll just have to wait and see. They did exceptionally well last winter but it was mild. The winter before that was harsh with high winds and -23°F temps and they endured that BUT they were very small and I had them buried in mulch and straw so that wasn't much of a test either.

The fact that I had one specimen that was not sold as cold hardy and it survived for ten years gives me hope that these Hazel Smiths might make it. However, what I don't know is how cold hardy the ten year-old tree was to begin with. I have no idea what the seed source was. I had bought it from a nursery in the Napa Valley.

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain

5. Acerholic

@fredmcain, good afternoon Fred. The American conifer society state ' Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Hazel Smith' is an exceptional clone of giant sequoia that was selected for superior cold hardiness'.
    So looking at this, it appears you may have every chance of success. I hope you do !!

6. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Another thing about Hazel Smith is that it has very nice, icy blue needles. The lady at the Crowfoot Nursery where I got them told me that in general, conifers that have blue needles tend to be more cold hardy. I am gonna try and get a couple of blue noble firs next year to add to my collection.

7. Acerholic

@fredmcain, good evening Fred, if you do buy the Blue noble firs make sure you post them on the forum. I for one will really enjoy seeing them. I do love trees !!!

8. dirt reaper

dirt reaper Member

Pacific Northwest - Washington State, USA
    The summer of 2021 in the Pacific Northwest was very dry and we also suffered a short but intense heat wave.

I am happy to report my Giant Sequoias did well. They were stressed, the interior needles on individual branches yellowed and died. Some had more needle loss than others.

Recent heavy weather, snow, wind, and rain has stripped the dead needles to the forest floor. The needle litter is impressive and unlike anything I have seen with these trees!

This is an updated picture of the same tree through out this post.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

How wonderful to see, this is great diary / thread to follow.

D

10. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Dear "Dirt Reaper",

Yes indeed! Giant Sequoias tend to be quite heat-tolerant. The summer here back in 2012 was very hot and dry. There were numerous days in June and early July where the afternoon shade temps were in the triple digits. The heat wave maxed out at our house with a 110°F shade temp. That's just about Phoenix temperatures!

The Sequoia I had at that time came through very well although I did water it a few times. Unfortunately, it later succumbed during the bitter cold winter of 2013-14.

As far as the heat goes, I have seen Sequoias growing in people's yards in Porterville and in other Central Valley towns. The San Joaquin Valley gets pretty hot in the summer.

Best Regards,
    Fred M. Cain,
    Topeka, IN