spider mites and abamectin

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Masoud, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Masoud

Masoud New Member

hello guys,recently some of my plants got infected by spider mites,dont know where they ve come from but im pretty sure they are spider mites,tiny webs on plant
    i can also see some tiny wholes on plants(guess mark of their eating)
    tried some homemade remedy,but they didnt work
    then i used abamectin on two of the plants no sign of any infection so far and plants didnt show any reaction to the abamectin
    this morning i saw the tiny webs on my aloe too,so it seems i have to use abamectin on all the plants
    is abamectin safe for cacti and succulents?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, it would probably help if you could also attach photos of your plants, so that better identification of the spider mites can take place. Just in case it is not these that are causing your problems.
    Here is a link to show how to do this.
    Attach photos and files
    Regarding Abamectin, it is safe to use on fruits and vegetables, so IMO it will also be safe for your Succulents.
    If using indoors I would also consider a face mask when using. This is a personal opinion only.

Masoud likes this.
  3. Masoud

Masoud New Member

thank you,well i wanted to post some pictures but since i sprayed the affected plants already there is no visible sign to take a picture,BUT i searched on the web the day i found the webs and they looked exactly like this
    and abamectin was the only miticide i could find in my area,just to be sure for the dosage im using abamectin 1.8% EC 1cc in 5 lit of water,is it alright for spider mites?

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Use the abamectin as a drench as well as a spray and reapply after two weeks. You may have to do another application if the problem persists, but it should solve your infestation. Looks like red spider mites to me.

Masoud likes this.
  5. Masoud

Masoud New Member

and for the future,where do they come from? infected plants? cause i didnt bring any new plants recently

6. Acerholic

@Masoud Nearly all the spider mites on a houseplant were born there.
    Spider mites are short lived and live for about a month, so they often spend their entire lives on one plant.
    They are often transferred to new plants by people and animals when they brush past an infested plant.

So the important thing to do is keep an eye on your plants over the next month. If they show any signs of re infection then carry out the process again. Especially the drenching.

All being well you should be clear of them within a few weeks. But it might take a 'little' longer.

Hope that's been of help to you Masoud.

Masoud likes this.
  7. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Since spider mites are almost everywhere, they are constantly being transferred to your plants by multiple sources. It wasn't an accident in that you "caught" them. Everyone has them. The reason everyone doesn't have a problem with them is their plants are being cared for in way that won't allow the spider mites to flourish. When you start to see them, it means you have a problem in the way you care for your plants. So poisons always seem like they are working in the short term, but the pests will just keep coming back again & again once the poison wears off, unless you're willing to keep the plants constantly slathered in poison for the rest of your life.

So instead, consider fixing the problem instead of treating the symptom. The best fix in the world, more effective than any poison, is just simply water, applied in the right way. Spider mites hate it. When you water the plant, it's very important to occasionally wash the leaves & stems, including the undersides. This is an absolute requirement to having healthy houseplants. It's also helpful if you are able to raise the humidity, but not required for most houseplants. It also helps if you are able to keep your plants generally healthy and watered not too late or too soon, so their own natural defences can help in the fight.

So in the short term, to quickly get rid of these bugs, take the plants outdoors and hose them down with a sharp spray, including stems and under leaves. Do this very thoroughly every time you water for a short while. You can soon taper off of this once the bugs are gone, so you will eventually be washing the leaves only perhaps a couple-few times a year for most plants, (even less possibly for succulents).

Masoud and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

@Tom Hulse couldn't agree more Tom. Natural way is always best. And a healthy plant is less likely to be attacked.

9. Masoud

Masoud New Member

thank you,will do this,yes i rarely washed my plants leaves,will try to wash atleast once a week,specially the ones that are outdoor