Request help in planting Acer P.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlexB, Nov 13, 2003.

1. AlexB

AlexB Member

Hello,
    I'm thinking of planting an Acer P. seedling-grown against the south-facing wall of our house. I live in Millbrae near San Francisco. The plant is about 3 feet tall now and I've had it in a 5-gallon container the last few years.
    I appreciate your thoughts and advise.
    Thank you!
    AlexB

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

planting A. palmaum

I know it doesn't get real hot in your location ( I am from Pacifica, originally ) and a lot of fog tends to roll over the hills from the west, but with Acer palmatum you could run into a problem of the reflected heat from the wall preventing your maple to be all that it can be. That site does not sound like a good location for this species. It would be better planted in an eastern or north/ eastern exposure. In your climate a southern exposure may be acceptable but with the lack of air circulation and the reflected heat I think your maple will languish. You could try it and if it gets adequate shade it may do well. If after a year or two and it is not performing, you can easily move it to a better location. There is a Japanese Maple cultivar called 'Wilson's Pink Dwarf' that was selected by James Wilson of Peters and Wilson Nursery of Milbrae, CA.. It seems like they were on Airport or Trousdale at El Camino? Too close to the airport. Talk about loud! I escaped the Bay Area in 86' and propagate Japanese Maple and Ginkgo cultivars here in the rural hills of North Alabama. Extremely quiet here. Here are some that I grafted last summer.

Attached Files:

3. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

hello;we live on an island just off coast of vancouver island where we have dry sunny summer days. My first planting was an acer p. , back in '97. It is in the sun most of the day, out in the open.Because we have poor sandy-rocky soil I dug a huge hole and filled it with a mixture of good top soil and peat moss and compost.The trick to getting this tree going, or any other japanese maple is,: to water after the hot sun begins to descend (after 6pm.) because the leaves are more easily burned during the day when they are full of water. I agree with your first replier. this tree would not be happy next to a hot wall. I also planted a split leaf red and had to move it to partial shade. (a spot where, at least, it does not get direct sun all day)-- those split leaves burn easily. Try a more heat tolerant shrub there, beside you house. good luck, pj.