Cloning of maple cuttings in hydroponics

Discussion in 'Maples' started by zfrittz, May 10, 2020.

1. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

My cuttings are a little slow, but because they were very small twigs, some less than a mm. and too soft wood because I had nothing else and I wanted to show how they are done before the heat arrives, that here with 35º or 40º it is very difficult to root, I prefer to do the cuttings when the temperature is below 24º.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  2. zfrittz

Here are a few

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Mani, this is the thread if you are interested in going down this route. A very good step by step guide by @zfrittz

D

Mani likes this.
  4. Mani

Mani Active Member

Super! Thanks - I will take a look!

5. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

From the weekend:

leaves.JPEG
    Cuttings

rooting hormone.JPEG
    Post trimming getting a soak in rooting hormone

in cloner.JPEG
    In the cloner

with growlight.JPEG
    with LED grow light

I forgot the wax that day. I put wax yesterday

kgeezy20 and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

7. Skip Tyson

Skip Tyson New Member

The waxing is a new one for me. Do you apply roofing gel before you dip the cuttings in wax? Do you apply more after the wax hardens? Above the wax?

8. Acerholic

Good morning Skip., first of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, I have deleted your first posting as there was nothing in it. I presume you pressed the send button by mistake. Next if you want to make contact on a posting with someone directly on a thread, put @ before their name, for example @zfrittz in this case in a new post. This will ensure your reply is directed to the correct person. Your reply was directed to me which I am sure is not what you intended, as zfritz is the expert here on this subject IMO. Hope that helps.

9. kbguess

This is day 8. Many of the cuttings starting to form "bumps" which I presume is the location for the roots to emerge

rooting1.jpeg rooting2.jpeg

10. Acerholic

Amazing science K. This is fascinating stuff indeed. Without a doubt DO keep the postings coming.

11. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

That's correct @kbguess. I can't wait to see more of your updates.

12. zfrittz

@kbguess.
    Keep doing this you are doing well, you can already see the protuberances where the roots will come out, and there are no signs of rot.
    Be sure to update.

kbguess likes this.
  13. Mani

Mani Active Member

@kbguess what was your success rate in the end? Did you follow all of zfrittz's instructions?

14. kbguess

@Mani I have no rooting yet. Most still look fine and lots have the "bubbles." A few got fungus on leaves and I removed and then started spraying remaining cutting foliage with dilute hydrogen peroxide.

Since they look okay I am not giving up on them yet. Probably too hot in my garage. Next year I will put in the basement where temperatures are moderate.

Things that I did not d0 were put in an aeration device (my system has a fan) and did not use anything to heat the water. I will do those both next summer

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  15. Mani

Mani Active Member

@kbguess Thanks for the update! We can all learn from this. I wouldn't give up hope either! I hope some successes follow shortly! Good luck!

16. Acerholic

@kbgues, good evening K, we are all hoping you have success. It is amazing science !!

17. zfrittz

@kbguess , how are the cuttings going? Update the thread when you can. We are looking forward to seeing how it goes.

18. kbguess

@zfrittz I got a lot of callus but never any roots. After about 6 weeks I started to get black stems so I turned off the system. I have started getting a spot ready in the basement for next year. The temperature in my garage was probably too high. Basement should be perfect
    Thanks again for the instruction. I am confident next year will be successful.

19. Acerholic

@kbguess, just read your post Keith, such a shame. The experience will mean success next time.

20. scilover

scilover Member

WOW! That's look good :)

21. zfrittz

@kbguess, I feel that the cuttings turn black and do not root after having the calluses.

At the beginning the same thing happened to me, if they rot, you must reduce the spraying of the cloner and control the temperatures very well, both in the aerial part and where the roots will be born.
    You also have to have everything very disinfected, so that the cuttings are not contaminated and add bleach to the water and change it every 3 or 4 days.
    The cuttings must root between 10 and 15 days, if the time lengthens the problems with the rot begin.
    Go over the entire process and don't forget anything, everything you comment on is very important, you can't skip a single step, no matter how silly it may seem.

It took me a few years, and I learned it all through trial and error, and many lost cuttings.

Anj, kbguess and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

@zfrittz, so informative as always J.

23. Anj

Anj New Member

Amazingly informative thread, thank you guys for putting this in here.

I am trying to root multiple cuttings with the standard soil method and I came across this.

Has anyone had success in between this post and now?

Hope you're doing well @zfrittz

I'll have to find a hydroponics system that works well for acers.

I wanted to experiment a bit if I can do this and find a way to have a good success rate to do this for multiple years to share my findings as well.