Damage to trunk ?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Stuart McKenna, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Stuart McKenna

Stuart McKenna Active Member

Taking a closer look at a dwarf acer I am thinking of moving and have noticed what appears to be damage to the trunk. Is this a major concern or something fairly normal. The tree seems otherwise healthy and has probably been like this a while as it is hidden away behind a pond.
    Is there anything I can do to this or just leave it to hopefully repair itself.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Stuart McKenna, this is something that occurs a lot and is discolouration more than damage. Have you felt it and ascertained whether there is a ridge. If not, then IMO all will be fine.
    Here is my Sangu Kaku with the same mark. Been there for many years with no adverse effect.
    Hope that's of some help Stuart.

Attached Files:

3. Stuart McKenna

@Acerholic thank you for the informative reply, I just went and felt it and there does seem to be a ridge. It certainly seems like it has been like that for sometime. I plan to move this in the winter so will get a better look at it then.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Stuart McKenna, OK Stuart, best to monitor it. It could well have been scuffed or caught accidentally with a gardening tool when clearing around it. It's easily done!!!
    If it is healthy do not worry, it will heal over. Some might recommend a paste, but I prefer to let them repair themselves naturally.
    All adds character IMO.
    Do update the thread when you investigate when moving it.

Stuart McKenna likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

To me, it must just be the difference between the rootstock and the scion :

Cultivars are most of the time grafted on the plain species, that keeps a green bark longer than many cultivars. The "dwarf acer" (do you know its name?) has a bark that probably turn to grey sooner than the rootstock.

For instance, this 'Starfish' I bought recently. It's probably grafted on the Acer palmatum plain species and is rather young. Yet, you can see that the bark of the scion is already a darker green :

gref-starfish_200810b.jpg gref-starfsh_200810a.jpg

It's even more evident with a species, a variety or a cultivar that naturally has a greyish bark even when young. This is an Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' I bought not so long ago :

gref-shir_200810a.jpg

To me, there's nothing at all to worry about. It looks like a very well done graft, the rootstock and the scion are the same strength and will become invisible as soon as the bark of the rootstock gets older.

Another graft ('Jerre Schwartz') that would be considered a "bad graft" for bonsai enthusiasts : the colour of the bark of the scion and that of the rootstock are identical, but the rootstock seems weaker, hence, a kind of buldge. But it's OK with me, it's just a potted tree, a "patio tree" as some would call it :

gref-jerre_200810a.jpg

Depending on what you want to achieve, the choice of the rootstock has some importance when you graft Acers. For instance, I've heard that red-leaf maples keep their colours better when grafted on rootstock from red-leaf seeds.

Stuart McKenna and Acerholic like this.
  6. Stuart McKenna

Thank you very informative

7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I thought it look a low graft union as well.

AlainK likes this.
  8. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I completely agree with the above. I have a number of grafted Acers with similar characteristics. It is the graft union with the scion actually growing more vigorously than the original rootstock. Funnily enough I also have Jerre Schwartz with a thicker trunk than the rootstock. Looks a bit odd but in time it should become less visible. Come to think of it I have a Skeeters Broom with the same. I’ll go and take a couple of pics. Definitely nothing to be concerned about IMO.

AlainK and Stuart McKenna like this.
  9. Luke’s Maples

Jerre Schwartz
    Skeeters Broom

Not very pretty, but both trees seem very happy and appear healthy.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Stuart McKenna like this.
  10. Luke’s Maples

Shin Deshojo with a slightly stronger rootstock

Attached Files:

11. Stuart McKenna

Thanks for sharing, very good to know