Acer shirasawanum 'Yasemin'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mjh1676, May 30, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Yasemin'

A chance seedling noticed by Cor van Geldern at Firma C. Esveld and named after his Daughter Mirte Yasemin. To further qutoe the Vertrees 3rd edition:
    " Interestingly the original plant seems to display the influence of severy nearby trees-the color of 'Bloodgood', the habit of 'Trompenburg', and the leaf shape of Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'."

While I am not sure of the above, it makes a good story and does sufficiently describe the tree. A very similar cultivar would be Acer shirasawanum 'Gloria'. The validity of these trees as hybrids and how to classify them still needs consideration.

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Yasemin'

Michael,

As a matter of fact Cor Van Gelderen now classifies 'Yasemin' as an Acer Shirasawanum, you can see this if you go to his on-line catalog and look up Acer palmatum 'Yasemin'.
    The pictures are of a small grafted plant I bought from him this winter, planted in the ground, full sun in the afternoon. Very good colors.

Gomero

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are a couple of shots of summer growth: leaves and flowers from September 2005. These flowers showed up on only a couple of chutes on my by 2-3 year old plant.

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

The not-so-subtle over- and under-tones which change throughout the spring make this cultivar a real star. I usually photograph Yasemin each week just to catch the changes. This particular photo was taken Mary 5, 2007.

Attached Files:

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am starting to think that the plant sold in the USA as palmatum 'Yasemin' may be different from shirasawanum (or palmatum) 'Yasemin' introduced and propagated by Esveld. The Spring colors of the European tree are bright shiny red turning into shiny dark purple in the Summer, there is absolutely no green as seen in picture of Mapledia.
    The first pic is from april this year and the other two from April, May 2006.

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Gomero, you have raised some very interesting points. It's impossible to know if your Yasemin and my Yasemin are the same plant. But I studied your 2006 photos and then looked at mine from 2006 and find they are almost identical for that year and month. These photos downloaded here are of my Yasemin, taken April 23, 2006 and May 7, 2006. Like your cultivar, mine is in full sun in the afternoon, but mine is relatively small and therefore is still in a pot on my deck. (I have to protect my smallish trees from my very large Italian dog.)

My Yasemin, as you pointed out, does show green on the leaves, especially in the areas immediately adjacent to the main veins and sub-veins. These green areas are not at all subtle.

As an aside, I've been impressed with the quality of your photos and wonder if you would reveal what sort of photographic equipment you use to photograph your maples. I personally use a Sony digital SLR camera with a Minolta 24mm lens and find that's worked fairly well for me.

Best regards, mapledia

Attached Files:

7. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Acer shirasawanum 'Yasemin'

Attached Files:

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

multicoulor cultivar by Esveld

Attached Files:

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: acer Shirasawanum Yasemin

I seem to think this is now generally recognized as a cross between A. palmatum 'Bloodgood' and A. shirasawanum.

In such a case should we be calling it A. shirasawanum?

-E

10. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I was looking at these two (Acer shirasawanum 'Gloria' and 'Yasemin') in Maples for Gardens and wondered if they were available in the U.S. My search led me here. Are they available here?
    Kay

11. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Yasemin is on US soil, but I'm not sure about Gloria. You can possibly get a larger Yasemin from a retailer that sells Iseli nursery plants, but it would likely have to be special ordered. I haven't seen it for sail on any online nurseries recently but quite frankly I haven't looked very hard as it isn't all that different from trompenburgh to me (although the color might hold a little better in certain lighting).

12. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Well, yes, Yasemin and Trompenburg are similar, but they are not the same. In Vertrees/Gregory's third edition of Japanese Maples, it says Yasemin is a plant from Esveld in the Netherlands and "has large, deeply cut, shiny, red leaves and, like the similar 'Trompenburg', is thought to be a cross between Acer palmatum and A. shirasawanum. It has very attractive deep red foliage and red fruits. The leaves are a darker color and have slightly flatter and wider lobes with larger teeth than those of 'Trompenburg'. The leaves hold their color well into the summer, slowly becoming a bronze green on the upper surface." ..."It originated as a chance seedling in a batch of seedlings, and was noticed by Cor van Gelderen at Firma C. Esveld and named after his daughter Mirte Yasemin. Interestingly, the original plant seems to display the influence of several nearby trees -- the color of 'Bloodgood', the habit of 'Trompenburg', and the leaf shape of Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'.

Isn't it nice that Vertrees and Peter Gregory have provided such wonderful insights?

Mapledia

13. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

This is my Acer Shirasawanum "Yasmin" from Esveld ,second year.Use the zoom for better view on leafs.

Attached Files:

14. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Autumn colour of 'Yasemin'. Westonbirt 2009. Couldn't really comment on the possible hybrid status.
    Yasemin.jpg Yasemin2.jpg

15. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

In the sun it had very dark solid purple leaves, but in shade they've taken on a two-tone effect I like very much:

Attached Files:

16. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Fall color was extraordinary. Probably the brightest red in the yard:

Attached Files:

Romain01 and emery like this.
  17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My first entry for Yasemin, the deep greens of this Shirasawanum are a delight. I know it has wonderful Autumn colours, but I do like to celebrate all the seasons with my maples. A black background gives the leaves more depth and vibrancy.
    Kept in a shady part of my garden, very early sun only for this one.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    I'm certainly not unhappy with my Yasemin. Those deep greens are wonderful. Little bit of scorch on the tips to some of the lobes, but IMO it's fine.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

31st May 2021 and my first posting for this year as it's been so slow to get going, but now I'm loving how my Yasemin is looking.
    Yasemin 246.JPG

D97x7 likes this.