Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@sun, good afternoon A, hmm that has been a problem this year, a lot of nurseries have been selling out due to Covid and more people staying at home working on the garden. Hopefully the German nursery has the trees you want. As you have used them before you at least know the quality of their maples. 'No shocks'.
    9cm pots are OK, but I would want them at the beginning of the year rather than the latter, especially in your gardening zone. They are great fun though seeing them grow and you feel that you have had a real hand in their development.
    Let us all know how you get on?

sun likes this.
  2. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, yes, I will keep you updated, and I know already that they have enough of my wishlist to make my trip worthwhile, and I hope that they can organise some of the things they don't have..

I just stumbled over Aka shigatsu sawa, there seem to be many maple fans that love it. What do you think about this cultivar?

3. sun

sun Active Member

Shigitatsu...

4. Acerholic

@sun, it really is a lovely cultivar. Beautiful reticulation. Needs a little bit of protection from afternoon sun though, like a lot of the reticulates.

sun likes this.
  5. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, it is so difficult to remove something from my list and so easy to add something.

If I look at my list, I think there are too few summergreen maples and also too few with a yellow (or green?) fall colour. Can you tell some of yours that are really yellow in fall?

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@sun, haha, we all have that problem A.
    Green dissectum, Autumn gold, Ko yuki, Scolopendrifolium, Viridis, Waterfall, Going green. These are a few to think on and a mixture of palmate and dissectums. The last one 'Going green' is my recommendation for a lovely Summer green and wonderful Autumn yellows. It is a hardy variety and can take the sun well.

sun likes this.
  7. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , thank you I will look them all up especially Going green.

Another question: Do you think Shirazz has a better effect from afar or from up close?

By the way, Baumschule Nielsen also has Mr. Sun.
    I just wanted to tell you becaus I know that it is on your list...

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

@sun, re Shirazz, up close and from a distance, place it near a Jordan for example and it really stands out.

Mr Sun is a special one, there are a few who would like it after seeing D @LoverOfMaples tree.
    Thanks for letting the thread know A.

9. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Ok, I'm addiction got the best of me today. Im posting because I know my AA pals would understand. So here it is:

Acer palmatum 'Kagiri Nishiki'
    20200808_135015.jpg
    20200808_135022.jpg

Acer shirasawanum 'Red Dawn'
    20200808_135048.jpg

Acer shirasawanum 'Yasmin'
    20200808_134957.jpg

Nik, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  10. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Ha, Boris is a nickname that was given to me years ago because I loved spiders, and at the time there was a board game called Boris the Spider

Acerholic likes this.
  11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Boris is back again tonight.

I know Boris the Spider from a 1966 song by The Who.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D, but what a wonderful addiction !!! The Red dawn has some interesting growth, what are your plans for it?
    Think your going to love Yasmin !! the colours are wonderful all year and the Kagiri Nishiki has the shape and vigour of something that is going to look really good, sooner rather than later IMO.
    Three very good purchases D you must be pleased.

13. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good morning J, I had totally forgotten about the Who track. Not a good ending for Boris on stage Lol.
    Your Boris is looking amazing. Only a few weeks and the cobwebs in our gardens are very photogenic. Think there maybe some more being posted after you have started it off J !!!?

14. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, good morning Larry or should we now say Boris. It might just stick!!!!! Lol.

15. Acerholic

Well after not a lot of sleep due to house being 25°C overnight , I eventually took some morning photos. The gardens are starting to look a little tired now. But it is August. My Jordan has suffered a lot this last few days. I have put the best bit on here.

Attached Files:

Nik, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 7 others like this.
  16. LoverOfMaples

Good morning D. I think im going to put it between 'Peridot Flame' and 'Peaches and Cream'. But im not 100% sure yet. Im still trying to figure out how I want to design this little spot. I will definitely be moving the trees as they grow in a few years.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, what an ideal area to plan some new additions. That does look good there D. The colour and height difference will work very well. Planting in the Autumn???

18. LoverOfMaples

I think i am D. I will slip pot for now because it really root bound.

1596990084466212551646503042978.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  19. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, ooh yes it is. Good idea though slip potting. Always a difficult decision when planting in the ground is so close.
    Hope you will post photos when they are all placed D. Will look forward to seeing it.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  20. LoverOfMaples

This is pretty much it until I mulch @Acerholic

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, you have been busy D. Looks really good. Next Spring to look forward to with this border!!!!

22. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D. It was hard work on this hot day. I'll be sure to post updates.

23. Acerholic

A very muggy start to the day, was a clear blue sky but now a patchwork of clouds. Will the thunderstorms come!!?
    Took these as they are still, holding on quite well. Quite pleased tbh as the heat for the past 5 days has been rather intense. Another 5 days of heat according to forecasts.

Attached Files:

Nik, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

OK, I took rather a lot so here are the next ones that would not load. Have split them up a little more balanced.

Attached Files:

Nik, monicasanchez, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  25. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Photos taken yesterday evening or this morning :

'Koto-no-Ito' beginning to suffer a bit, 'Gwen's Rose Delight', 'Beni Hagoromo', 'Sango Kaku', 'Butterfly' and 'Deshojo' :

acerp-kotonoito_200809a.jpg acerp-gwensro_200809a.jpg acerp-benihag02_200809a.jpg acerp_sangok02_200809a.jpg acerp_but01_200809a.jpg acerp_but01_200809b.jpg acerp-deshojo_200809a.jpg

New leaves on the 'Jerre Schwartz' that had lost its leaves. The new ones are not red, and not all the twigs have budded out, but it has largely recovered. First photo yesterday evening, second one in this morning's sun :

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200809a.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200809b.jpg

Three Acer palmatum from seeds. The first one from one of a dissectums by a road side, with some lobes slightly tuned aside. The second one looks like one from the amoenum group, and the 3rd one was also from dissectums from a roadside plantation :

acerp-div_200809b.jpg acerp-div_200809a.jpg acerp-div_200809c.jpg

Nik, monicasanchez, dicky5ash and 5 others like this.