Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. sun

sun Active Member

@dicky5ash , yes that's the post that I meant, I loved your pictures of the variegated ones, but I didn't know which ones they are. And I was looking for variegated ones that have nice colours and do not show reversion. Could you tell me which is which? Sorry I know it's unusual to ask about such an old post.

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

My phone ran out using the map to get there but my wife took a couple of pics. I will see if she can forward on to me.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

4. Acerholic

Good morning, not sure if this will go through as I'm not receiving any new messages on UBC.
    Some rain overnight here, so that will help before what they are calling flaming Friday. Possibly going to be the hottest day ever in the UK.
    Very very early photos.

Keep cool everybody!!

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, dangerine49 and 3 others like this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a fabulous selection of beautiful Japanese maples! Thank you so much for taking the time to assemble and share them.

Sounds ominous. Does it help to spray the leaves of your maples on hot days?

6. Acerholic

@Margot, thanks Margot, I enjoy sharing them. I do spray / mist in the evenings with rain water on very hot days. Will be doing it tonight. Forecast is a possible 39° C.

7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@sun In the same order as mentioned above, ON has white variegation, with some nice subtle pink new growth, Shiraz is pink and dark brown and Schichihenge is green and Pink/red but the pink goes cream as the summer goes on..Pheonix is also nice along with the Ghosts (of which I have none..yet!)

sun and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

dicky5ash likes this.
  9. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Just an ordinary A.palmatum spotted while waiting for a bus. Yet its such a beautiful thing.
    Are they easy to root from cuttings?

Attached Files:

10. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Apparently I have a new pet who likes one of my Butterflies. His name is Boris and I noticed that he sets up camp every night for the past three nights between a Butterfly and an Aucuba in my backyard. Probably longer since he is almost as big as Harry. Never noticed a web in the daytime. The web is almost 3 feet in diameter. Very impressive.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, they are never just ordinary. Great spot Larry.

GreenLarry likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@dangerine49, the cobwebs are appearing, great photos of the web and Boris J. We have a Boris in the UK, not so photogenic though !!!

13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Quite nice indeed.

Most Japanese maples are fairly easy to reproduce by summer cuttings : the year's growth, or the second year's growth, cutting out the soft top, removing the first two or three sets of leaves (leaving the stalks) and leaving a couple of leaves at the top. Cutting the top leaves avoids too much evaporation.

Soil mix : it depends on who does the cuttings ;°)

I like 60-70 % aquarium sand (3-4 mm) and composted pine bark, sometimes 80% "Akadama" and coarse compost, but any free-draing mix that you can keep moist but not soaking should work.

For the plain species (Acer palmatum palmatum), the rate of success is over 75%. For cultivars, it depends...

Although it's a bit late in the season, I'm going to try some in spite of the heat wave. I'l keep posting about it.

14. AlainK

I love spiders : the more mosquitoes they can eat, the better I feel ;°D

But I have this Vitex agnus-castus flowering now, and there are dozens of bees, bumblebees and other pollinators having a treat. I took a picture when the sun was going down, there was a late greedy gourmet sipping on the flowers :

vitex_200807a.jpg

monicasanchez and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

@AlainK, so good to see the bees Alain. Not too many over here these days sadly.

16. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

I often just root things in water, and I now have a softwood cutting in a jug of water

17. Acerholic

18. AlainK

I'm not sure this is the best way to root maple cuttings.Unless you just keep them in water + some kind of hormones for 6-12 hours before putting them in the right soil mix.

"Water cuttings" work with tropical species like some Ficus, I strongly doubt it will ever work for maples. It doesn't for most of the deciduous I know.

We'll see...

monicasanchez likes this.
  19. Acerholic

I have to say I have never succeeded with cuttings in water, that's why I'm fascinated by J @zfritz hydroponics and K @kbguess attempts atm.
    I know it's a different process, before anybody corrects me.
    My fingers are crossed for @GreenLarry that he has success.

20. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, that was a difficult nights sleep. Coffee sat in the garden at 0430hrs was quite nice though. Very peaceful !!!

These are not doing too bad after a few days of heat, some are showing signs of stress, but it is worth showing that IMO.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, dangerine49 and 5 others like this.
  21. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

‘Generally speaking’ and ‘in my experience’ . . . with these provisos I suggest that starting cuttings in water is not preferrable to starting them in a potting mix.

When I was a child, my mother and grandmother successfully started houseplants such as Tradescantia zabrina in glasses of water on the windowsill. For me, this was an educational opportunity to learn about roots that I would have missed if the cuttings had been placed directly in soil.

It is easy to propagate plants like T. zabrina or aroid family plants such as pothos or philodendrons in water because they are native to wet or boggy environments. That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be better off if put straight into a potting medium instead.

Otherwise, starting cuttings in water is discouraged ‘generally speaking’ because such cuttings are deprived of oxygen. While it is exciting to see roots emerge from a cutting in water, such roots are very fragile and may be easily damaged when transferred to a pot filled with potting mix.

(I know I wrote something a few days ago about how I have propagated many cuttings in a potting mix using rooting hormone and creating a tent over the pots with plastic bags – but I cannot find it.)

I want to acknowledge that the techniques used by @zfritz hydroponics and K @kbguess are over and beyond my generalizations about the pros and cons of starting most cuttings in water.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

@Margot, good morning Margot, I couldn't agree more. Good posting.

23. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, good morning Luke, how did the move into the shade go? Any photos??

24. sun

sun Active Member

@dicky5ash thank you, they are all beautiful! Sorry that I haven't replied earlier, we had a bithday party in our garden with a lot of cooking and baking....

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , In the meantime Dick van der Maat replied to my email with my wishlist. Unfortunately he only has 9 cm pots left and of many of my list he hasn't even them left. So I am planning a trip to the German nursery where I went in spring. I sent them my wishlist after calling them.