Should I move dwarf acer to a sunnier position.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Stuart McKenna, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Stuart McKenna

Stuart McKenna Active Member

Hi all, I have a dwarf acer not sure which cultivar it is. I planted it about 8 years ago and it has been fine.
    It is however hidden away in a very shady spot where it gets basically no sun at all and as such is not very colourful.
    Would it be a good idea to move it to a sunnier spot where it may fare a little better, or would it be best left alone after all this time ?
    I assume the rootball would not be that big as it is a very small plant.
    If I move it I believe it is best done whilst dormant ?
    I have attached some pictures, any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Stuart, first of all it looks really good to me. But if you want to move it, then definitely wait until it is dormant. I presume you are hoping for brighter reds. It looks very much like 'Shaina' IMO so the darker reds will go that way even if you move it to a sunnier position.
    If it were me I think I would leave it where it is. Just my thoughts.

3. Stuart McKenna

@Acerholic thank you very much for the reply. The reason I was thinking of moving it was because it always looks kind of half red half green if that makes sense. I though some sun might make it red.
    I will probably leave it where it is as it seems to be healthy.

4. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I thought of 'Shaina' too @Acerholic. I like the two tone @Stuart McKenna. More sun will give you the red you are thinking of.

Just a thought, you could pot it up to find the best spot for it (can't go wrong with morning sun/afternoon shade). Once that's accomplished, put it back in the ground.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Stuart McKenna

@LoverOfMaples Thank you for this, I like this idea I will give it some thought as to where it could go to achieve morning sun/afternoon shade and then maybe try it in a pot.