What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Yes, too bad one cannot upload a video. I have some good ones from this storm. Although, to be honest, this one is a minor one compared to many previous ones.

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Same here

Very true so far!

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

4. Acerholic

@Nik, thinking about you and D last night, hope you also got through unscathed N.

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thank you, D! We lost power early in the evening. Thankfully we have the generator.
    About 45% of the entire state is currently without power.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Wow, that means a lot of people. I hope everything will go back to normal quickly.

7. Acerholic

@Nik, sorry to hear that, but as long as everybody is safe, the power can wait.

8. AlainK

26° inside the house, something like 30 outside.

My best friend this afternoon, actually a real fan of mine. Cheap, but very efficient when you come inide the house sweating :

ventilo.jpg

I had a look at the stats for the month of July.

2020 : 2.0 mm
    1981-2010 average : 59.9 mm

Blimey! That's -97%

The link for those who live in France :
    Climatologie de l'année 2020 à Orléans - Bricy - Infoclimat

9. Acerholic

@AlainK, those are stats that cannot be ignored. If this is the future rather than a one of, then some new thinking about our gardens and maples will be required. Emery stated he is having a very bad year with his trees and he has two wells to make use of. Others are not so fortunate.
    Forecast here over the next 7 days is extreme heat, followed by thunderstorms next week.
    September's not far away Alain!!! and hopefully rain. I do wonder how this is going to affect the Autumn colour in a few weeks!!?
    WHAT A YEAR!!!!

10. AlainK

Some ten years ago, the ones that planted olive trees in their gardens would lose them here. Now, there's one (one of the many that are uprooted in Spain) that is thriving in my street.

The Montpellier maple is gaining ground up north while the beech are disappearing, even in the mountains.

I don't even think that the maple society could be renamed the "ficus society" because a lot of fig-tree species need a humid tropical climate. ^^

11. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Good afternoon D. Power outage also normal. I hope its not long. Most of my maples/trees are ok I think. I haven't had a lot of time to access the whole yard because of work. Lots of limbs down.

Thanks for checking in D!

12. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, hope all is OK D. Droughts , storms, black outs. This year is throwing whatever it can at so many and I haven't even mentioned Covid.
    Let the thread know how everything goes D. Thoughts are with you across the pond.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@AlainK, we are witnessing something I never thought I would in my lifetime. I can hear that song in my head again, Lol.
    Thank goodness for Monty Python !!!

14. Acerholic

Cant believe it, we have rain here, not complaining at all though. It is really needed. 33° C tomorrow.

15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was told it was the dryest July on record in Normandie. There will certainly be quite a bit of "cassse" (literally breakage, meaning damage). Already planning on taking out 3 dead A. davidii cultivars, A. henryii, Fagus longipetiolata, others. Quite a few sweet chestnuts and the hedges and elsewhere around, they can't survive without more water.

Today the bad period starts, going until mid-next week. Should be 33C, then 38C tomorrow and onwards. Cool compared to Alain, and it will stay cooler in the house: we've already started closing shutters.

16. Nik

Nik Contributor

Still no power, but I thought I would share a nice picture I stumbled upon in the Guardian.
    There are noticeable changes in weather patterns year over year everywhere. It is undeniable and (sadly) irreversible. Get used to warmer (and probably drier) weather.

Attached Files:

17. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here on the west coast of BC, we are enjoying a cooler, wetter summer than usual. Just last night there was an incredible downpour that lasted almost 2 hours (30mm accumulation). Only one week ago there was a 2-hour thunderstorm right overhead . . . our first electrical storm in 15 years living here. There were so many flashes you'd think the paparazzi were photographing a celebrity.

Funny, both storms began at 3am. Right now, at 3:30pm, the temperature is 18C; 6C less than the average here.

Of course, many would prefer the warmer, even hot, temperatures we usually get in August but I think this is great and my garden agrees.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  18. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I was sailing in such a storm with a pretty tiny yacht (a Nordic Folkboat - Wikipedia ) three weeks ago, delivering the yacht to the starting harbour of our largest annual regatta. We lost the main sail, and it was pretty close to loosing the yacht also. Somehow we managed to sail into the harbour with only mast working as a sail. That was pretty intense, the sailing speed without any sails was 4.6 knots. When the sail was still up, we got even 14.8 knots for a moment, although we let as much wind out of the sail as we could. Yacht this small usually stays below 8 knots even with all sails on.

In the harbour on the Pärnu river the largest yachts upwind the floating quai had to run their engines to keep the quai from floating downwind together with yachts mooring at the quai, although the quai was anchored to the bottom of the river.

19. Acerholic

Good morning, it is now 29° "C in my garden at 1100hrs and definatly getting hotter.
    This heat is forecast for around 6 days. This does take me back to 1976 when in the UK the heatwave went on for many months. We had standpipes at the end of our road to fill a bucket for drinking and cooking only.
    I was playing in a lot of tournaments at the time and all the golf courses was like playing on concrete. Just two long irons for par fives. Lol.

Anyway my point is we have been here before in the UK, but a lot lot worse.
    Not saying that people across the EU are not suffering, my thoughts are are with them and their gardens.
    Hopefully it is near the end, for this year at least.

20. AlainK

29° C, ah, "small player" as we say here ! 39° (in the shade) this afternoon.

On the news channels, there are pictures of a glacier on the Italian side of Mount Blanc. There's a big crack and they fear something like 500,000 m3 of ice will fall into the valley. I think a lot of people are waiting for the spectacular images of a coming disaster, you know like people stopping when there's an accident to see blood, or like watching the explosion in beirut. It's disturbing how things like that can be fascinating. A glimpse into apocalypse ?...

There's a video on France Info website :
    VIDEO. Climat : un glacier du massif du Mont-Blanc sur le point de s'effondrer en Italie

There are also places in other parts of the Alps where huge white tarpaulins are put to cover the surface of a glacier so as to prevent it from melting too quickly.

21. Acerholic

@AlainK , agreed Alain definatly light weight,Lol. Got to to 32°C here, but expected hotter tomorrow.
    39° C is so uncomfortable for anybody, but I bet you are quite used to it now.
    What a video!! As you say there is something about impending disasters that just draws peoples morbid interests.
    Where is all this going to end !!!?

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well Alain at least we're not in the "Red Zone"! Had to take Samantha to the vet for a booster shot this afternoon, it was 37.5 in Argentan, that's pretty darn hot for here. Only 35C at the farm though! Still holding at 20C inside though, bless those big stone walls. I was just out for a minute, it's actually bearable in the shade, but as soon as you hit the sun, watch out.

Saw the glacier story on BFM (one of our news channels) yesterday, funny how we all love an accident in slow motion. Much like the US elections: can't watch, yet can't turn away. (My son in NY just moved into his new apartment, the previous tenants left the AC units, bless them!)

Nik and AlainK like this.
  23. Nik

Nik Contributor

Still no power, our 15-year old Jack Russell terrier is fine with all of it, he sleeps most of the time these days.. He is not a ‘comfort’ dog, he ie a ‘comfortable’ dog.. Spoiled rotten. But adorable. Last photo is from few years ago, he does not have much color left at his current age.

Attached Files:

Margot and AlainK like this.
  24. Nik

Nik Contributor

8pm here, 74 F, 23 C, quite pleasant actually. 84% humidity. Humidity is climbing to 100% overnight, typical..

25. AlainK

The only Jack Russel I know is a 1 1/2 year old female, she jumps everywhere like crazy ! Her name's Nola.

The jumpy style of this piece really illustrate well what she's like LOL

Nik likes this.