British Columbia: Growing sea holly from seed in the lower mainland

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by NorthShoregardener, Aug 4, 2020.

1. NorthShoregardener

NorthShoregardener New Member

As I understand this plant has a long taproot system that dislikes wet feet, I wonder if anyone has had success with growing this plant from seed in a sunny spot in your garden. Thanks! seaholly.jpg

2. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

In our climate, Eryngium is indicated for exposure in full sun even if the climatic variations in progress, with the increased intensity of solar radiation, are pushing us more and more to repair the plants that have always loved the sun in the hottest periods (is what I now do regularly with my Hibiscus and even with Geraniums). Every year (since I managed to succeed with sowing), however, I still have my seed Eryngium amethystinum in a sunny part of my garden where, however, it attracts a large amount of pollinating insects which is always an index of air quality.
    It is absolutely true that it fears water stagnation so much that when I plant the plant in addition to inserting expanded clay on the bottom of the planting hole and adding river sand to the covering soil, I pay attention to inserting it a little raised compared to the soil so that watering the water does not stagnate at the collar. I anticipate that germination can take several days and the seeds sprout at different times. It is necessary to be patient and not to throw the jars too early where the seeds seem not to have sprouted.

Ametistino.jpg ametistinum 2.jpg ametistinum 3.jpg

ametistinum 4.jpg

3. NorthShoregardener

Thanks so much for your reply and terrific pictures of your sea holly. Love to see the bees. Hopefully I will have some nice plants and pictures next year to share with you and the forum!

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

What about other plants you're growing this year? We have a great thread you can reply to and show off what else is in your garden. It's under What's Growing:
    Virtual Garden Tour

5. NorthShoregardener

Thanks! Rehabilitating garden from the 70's with six elevated beds and beautiful stone walls going up to the Power line trail in North Van. Will keep you posted and add some pics.