Unhappy Hydrangea

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Alison.b, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Alison.b

Alison.b Member

My hydrangea in a large container on my balcony. The first year it was great, then it went from picture 1 to picture 2/3 in the last couple months... I’m not sure how to bring it back. I’ve had it for two years.

I’ve given it the miracle grow 12-4-8 fertilizer. As well as compost on top of the soil.

I live in a west facing building in Victoria , so it gets full sun from ~4-8 Pm

Any advice would be very welcome 94FECDBE-7D40-492E-A957-F13A22FF2C4C.jpeg BBF16B51-67E2-46DC-8028-12765DA87193.jpeg 152AFE04-5A66-4DE1-B3FF-0AA5BD285C34.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Alison, Hydrangea's require just the right amount of water, not too much and not too little. The soil should be kept moist but not excessively wet. They are thirsty plants but that does not mean they like sitting in water.
    You say it receives full sun in the evening, are you drenching it because of this? If too wet conditions Hydrangea's are prone to fungal diseases. You should also not water the leaves and try to keep these dry.
    Feeding a plant when it is struggling is also not a good idea, this often promotes more stress in the plant.
    My thoughts are that you should check below the surface of the compost to ascertain if the compost is soggy, my thoughts are that it is.
    If this is the case then remove some of the compost that you put on top of the original soil and allow the plants roots to dry until the compost is moist only. Check before watering every time and not just because you think it's the right day to do it.
    Any leaves that drop ensure you destroy. I would consider a fungacide spray as your Hydrangea has more than likely developed a fungal problem.
    This process has every chance of your Hydrangea recovering IMO.

Hope this is of help.

Alison.b likes this.
  3. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Did you make yourself fordrainage holes in the container and how many are there? The ideal soil for growing hydrangeas must be acid (the plant has diffuse chlorosis as for excess of limestone), light and draining, therefore capable of ensuring a good water retention but without stagnation (they also require irrigation with neutral pH water).

I fully agree with what Acerholic wrote, especially regarding the mistake that is usually made when you see a plant that begins to present problems. instead of observing it well inside and on the back of the leaves to identify the presernza the parasites or strange spots that may denote the onset of fungal or bacterial pathologies it gives him "food" which complicates the situation with an indigestion of three basic elements (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) and micro elements.
    I add that potted hydrangeas, at the moment of burial, since they can not go to search through the roots new nutrients in the soil such as the plants in the ground, in addition to the soil as indicated above they need a "supply" for their nourishment. A good product for this is Cornunghia (crumbled cattle hooves) in rather large size because it is pure Nitrogen which slowly transforms inside the substrate into Nitrogen available to plants for at least 24 months.

Alison.b likes this.
  4. Mekira

Mekira Member

Hydrangeas are shade loving plants. I have positioned my hydrangea plants that they receive morning sunlight and shade afterwards. Since it is kept west facing, the evening sun might be to9o harsh during these hot summer days.???
    Also the pine needles close by the plant makes the soil naturally acidic. The plants look happy. Try adding pine needles as mulch.

Arlette and Alison.b like this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Also keep in mind that those black plastic pots absorb a lot of heat which can damage roots. If possible it would be a good idea to place the plastic pot inside a larger pot or box that would protect it from the direct rays of the sun. Having said that, the fact that your hydrangea is in full sun only in the late afternoon would likely mitigate the hot pot problem.

6. Mekira

Mekira Member

Hi Alison
    Are the leaves browned at the edges?
    One website suggests
    the browning on edging of leaves may be due to the fertilizer application . Aluminium sulphate , changes the cir of flowers, but also can cause damage to roots if applied liberally.
    Did you see the browning after you have applied the fertilizer?
    Also to flush the chemicals, if applicable , please see the screenshot image.

Attached Files:

Alison.b likes this.