Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hydrangea pinculata? Possibly 'limelight'

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Gm D. I see you are on it as well.

D, I'm also ready to see what color changes you have today.

4. Acerholic

Just taken these before the heat builds today. I cannot believe how fast they are changing this year. Really hope it doesn't mean a bad Autumn colour!!!

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Cjart, Nik and 4 others like this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Phoenix' :
    acerph02m01_200803a.jpg

New shoot on 'Katsura':
    acerpkat02_200803a.jpg

'O-sakazuki':
    acerp-o-sakazuki_200803a.jpg

'Bihoo':
    acerp-bihoo_200803a.jpg

Acer discolor:
    acer-discolor_200803a.jpg

Acer buergerianum:
    acerb00_200803a.jpg

6. Acerholic

@AlainK, are you sure you have had 40° C ??? Lol. Your trees are looking amazing Alain.

7. AlainK

Yes, all the trees above are in the shade, except the 'O-sakazuki' that gets the sun in the late afternoon and the Acer discolor that gets the sun from 11 to 1PM, then from 6 to 7 PM.

8. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks, D. Yeah, I guess it's stressed like all of us these days. I already removed a lot of dead wood. Just have to finish the job.

We're a whole family of rabid Yankee fans. My daughter married into another one!

9. Acerholic

@dangerine49, it will be fine next Spring, you'll see. So son in law is not invited over to watch the games then !!!!!! Lol.

10. AlainK

'Beni Hagoromo' in the sun from about 9AM to 3PM:

acerp-benihag02_200803a.jpg

'Beni Hagoromo' in the shade :

acerp-benihag01_200803a.jpg

monicasanchez, Nik, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks!

Oh no, he's welcome. When I said another, I meant another rabid Yankee family. My daughter would never marry a Mets or Red Sox fan. Heaven forbid!!! :)

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@AlainK, your Beni Hagoromo is making some impressive growth Alain. More than you expect this year? Or a normal year? Tbh I dont know if 2020 is a normal year in every garden.

13. Acerholic

Good morning, the heat is increasing. Here are a few that are doing well, I also thought about A @sun when choosing these to photograph this morning, as some are on her list. The sun was shining through my Aridane, so could not resist an extra couple of shots.

Attached Files:

14. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic, thank you D , they are great!I am really looking forward to have some of them on my own.

I am just reading on page 42 of this thread when you had the day of the variegated and there is one post of @dangerine49 with great fotos of variegated where I do not know which cultivars they are. I tried to quote the message including the pictures to ask but it just copies thetext. It is post nr. 1033. Can you help me there?

15. sun

sun Active Member

16. Acerholic

Good morning R, @sun would like to know the names of the dissectums on this post, can you help her please.

sun likes this.
  17. Acerholic

@sun, good morning A, message sent to R @dicky5ash for you quoting the post.

sun likes this.
  18. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic Thank you, so in future I will just quote the text and that leads him to the posted fotos...

19. Acerholic

@sun, that's it A.

20. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , in the beginning of the thread you had a lot of days where you posted different types of acers, like Reds or Dissectums. I wondered if you would also like to do one of different growth habits of maples when they are young for example and then when they are older...? I am always struggling with imagining how different cultivars are going to look like, it is easier to find good leaf pictures than pictures of the whole tree.

21. Acerholic

@sun, a good idea A. Everybody has trees of different sizes and age etc. Most do keep them small though due to garden sizes. I have a 44 year old maple that you have seen ( red dissectum) but it's no bigger now than it was 35 years ago. If they are kept in pots for example, they need a root prune and new growing medium every couple of years, imagine a 20ft tree and the weight that involves.
    The eventual heights of the trees grown are shown in the book I suggested to you (JD Vertrees & Peter Gregory ). Arboretum's are very often the only way to see a fully mature full size maple, unless you have the acres of land to play with.
    For me it is all about the leaf, I love the differences that you can only see close up. The intricate patterns of every single cultivar is what makes Japanese maples so very special.
    A point to make though is that if a maple is a known dwarf variety or a dissectum it will keep fairly small and under 12ft, others are going to grow above 12ft in 10 years. Although I have seen some named as dwarfes well above the height they are stated they will attain.
    If you watch YouTube, have a look at Amazing Maples, Charlie has many mature specimens that gives you the chance to see final sizes. It's very good.
    Hope that's pointed you in the right direction A.

LoverOfMaples and sun like this.
  22. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , thank you D , yes and I will look up Amazing Maples right away.

23. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Sorry sun, but page 42 post #1033 was by dicky5ash

24. Acerholic

25. Acerholic

Good morning, very overcast here in Southern England, I don't mind though as it gives my maples a bit of respite. Here are a few just taken.
    A new bud on my Aconitifolium looked nice, so added that as well.

Attached Files: