Any tips on improving a garden bed to look more like a "Japanese Garden".

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by vbx, Jul 27, 2020.

1. vbx

vbx Active Member

Is there anything I can add or do to this to make it look more like a Japanese Garden. I'm stuck on what plants to add and the shape of the overall bed.

So far I have 3 maples placed in a straight line. That might be problem 1. Doesn't look "natural" as tree don't grow like this in nature.

Maybe I can add some boulders and some complimentary plants?

20200518_154712.jpg 20200518_154629.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@vbx, boulders and water are always a must in the Japanese style garden. But in your circumstances less is more IMO.
    Three or five carefully placed LARGE rocks would be enough for that area to give the look you are looking for. Remember odd numbers is the way with this.
    I have also copied a link for you to watch, which I think maybe useful to you.

Hope this is of help.

vbx likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm posting some photos of a (maybe co-op) building in my densely populated neighbourhood with a garden that I always think was designed to suggest a Japanese garden. Here is what it looked like in May, with an "island" of Ajuga around some boulders, with a few ferns, a Hinoki cypress - Chamaecyparis obtusa (I think), I think an azalea, with a Magnolia seyboldii and a rhododendron in the background.
    LagoonDrHaro_Cutler_20200520_144500.jpg Ajuga_LagoonDrHaro_Cutler_20200520_144636.jpg Adiantum-pedatum_LagoonDrHaro_Cutler_20200520_144525.jpg LagoonDrHaro_Cutler_20200520_144639.jpg

Here is what it looks like today, with all the colour gone (except for the purple Ajuga leaves, and the Astilbe in the next little island, but the texture is still very nice.
    LagoonDrHaro_Cutler_20200730_150708.jpg

vbx likes this.
  4. vbx

vbx Active Member

Awesome. Thank you. Will try to find large boulders. Gonna have to hire a crew to do this.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. vbx

vbx Active Member

Beautiful colors. wow. Love the large boulder too. Thanks for the photos and the names of all those plants. Very helpful!

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@vbx, do post photos of what you eventually decide. I would love to see how it turns out.