Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hey D. I looked at it the other day and some of the inner leaves were starting to green up. I will check tomorrow and post a few pics.

sun likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

3. Acerholic

Just took these two of my Beni Otaki, it is kept in the shade atm hence the greens. But you can see hints of red. It will be moved to a sunnier position in September so 2021 should see the scarlet colour well known for this cultivar.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

I've just had my morning coffee and the sun was shining through my Sangu Kaku, I remembered A @sun asking about it, so photos had to be taken !!! Please ignore the small piece of die back . Made me think of the ELO song 'Mr Blue Sky'.
    Then got carried away taking more photos, as I'm seeing lots more new growth, so that is what I've tried to capture today.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, Nik, emery and 7 others like this.
  5. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , thank you D, I have begun to write a list of all maples I think I would like to have while I continue to read through the forum. Sangukako is on it too now. In the end I plan to make fotos of all the available spots and write the names of the maples I would like to put there and then ask for the members to give their opinions on that.

@all members of this forum
    By the way, the forum is really great, I have learnt so much in the last couple of days since I have joined.
    Thank you to all of you!

6. Acerholic

@sun, good afternoon A, an excellent idea, I'm certain many will give their opinions on what might be best.

sun likes this.
  7. LoverOfMaples

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, Nik, emery and 5 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, as I said earlier D, 'Stunning '. Was worth waiting overnight to see.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  9. sun

sun Active Member

@LoverOfMaples, thank you, it is beautiful. Is the Hub of willow (is that the correct name?) the same red in summer? Could you maybe tell me if they are growing fast? Sorry, so many questions...​

10. LoverOfMaples

'Hubbs Red Willow' is a different cultivar. It's also known as Willow Leaf. I wouldn't say 'Beni Otake' is a fast grower but grows nice once established.

sun likes this.
  11. sun

sun Active Member

12. Acerholic

@sun, A, if you want more info on Acer palmatum ' Hubbs Red Willow ' I have linked this in for G @wind-borne. He has a beautiful specimen and can tell you what you need to know.

sun likes this.
  13. sun

sun Active Member

14. Acerholic

Good morning, well its 22° C at 8 am, so took these before the heat arrives. My favourite today is Crimson Queen. It was enjoying the early sun. My Ukigumo is doing fine in the shade and Orido Nishiki is coping very well this Summer. Two photos of a very colourful Shirazz to start off with.
    Have a lovely day everyone.

Attached Files:

15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Wow so beautiful thanks for the picture!

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

After all this time I'm still getting confused over Hubb's or Hupp's Red Willow. I'm pretty sure I had an (offline) discussion with Matt Nichols, who authoritatively said Hubb's, and I saw he has it that way on his site, mrmaple.com. On UBC Ed Shinn says Hubb's also, so I'm sure that's right; but in Vertrees/Gregory 4th ed, Peter says Hubb's is a misspelling for Hupp's. He lists it that way in the Checklist also. In Vertrees 3rd ed., Hubb's is referenced in the appendix, no sign of Hupp's yet.

Ah well. Hubb's as you guys are saying, but interesting that the V/G seemingly have it wrong in the primary reference.

Here are a couple of trees, young and quite recently planted but getting some shade and doing fine. Have only watered them once this year.

Acer oliverianum (Oliver's Maple):
    IMG_20200721_180016_1.jpg IMG_20200721_180028_1.jpg IMG_20200721_180056_1.jpg

Acer caudatifolium (Kawakami's Maple). I've planted 3 in a group, it's a very tender maple and a bit rare as hard to grow. One of them has some black on the bark at the base, probably from spring freezing; they leaf out very early, in February usually. Also any sunburn on the bark makes them incredibly sensitive to pseudomonas.
    IMG_20200721_180111_1.jpg IMG_20200721_180125_1.jpg IMG_20200721_180135_1.jpg

-E

18. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Here in Oregon a few reputable nurseries (such as Buchholz & Buchholz and Whitman Farms) refer to 'Hubbs Red Willow' as were the tags on both of mine, not Hubb's though I bought elsewhere. It ain't over, LOL
    DSCN3444.jpg

emery and Lisa Harry like this.
  19. Acerholic

Good morning, well after record temperatures yesterday and yet more depressing news about Covid, I thought some colour was needed today.
    Looking at the news about West Yorkshire I also hope these cheer up M @ROEBUK.
    August 1st and still lots of new growth!!!

Favourite this morning is the last photo, my 'Olsons frosted strawberry'.

Attached Files:

Margot, Cjart, AlainK and 6 others like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good morning, cooler today and there are many of my maples turning fast. Together with lots of new growth it is a strange August.
    I have added my Musashino which is getting eaten, but it is still a delicate deep red with green appearing at the centre that deserves a showing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Cjart, Nik, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  21. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi. How about summer?

It is a joy to see your maples.

Mine are not very good. The Seyriu and some palmatum are the only ones that keep all their leaves green, without damage. The rest of the maples have some or all of the tips of the leaves dry as a result of the heat.

We had 39-40 degrees Celsius this week here in Mallorca. About 6 degrees more than usual.

Yesterday I added a "new" fertilizer. Let's see if it suits them and they can grow a little until autumn arrives. There is little left for the long-awaited rains to arrive. If everything goes as usual, sometime between August 20 and September 15 it will rain, and temperatures will start to drop a bit. Hopefully.

Lisa Harry and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, good evening Monica, I have been watching the weather you have been having and as J @zfrittz said, he felt like he was melting when outside in the heat.
    Looks like it is heading my way next week, so perhaps you might have some respite.
    I will keep posting my maples as long as I can, they are changing colour daily now, so they are really interesting everytime I wake up and go to check them. Cooler at 0500hrs, so that suits me well, as I'm an early morning person.
    Just to mention if that's OK, I never feed any of mine after May as it can produce too much soft growth when the frosts hit. But tbh frosts are probably the very last thing on your mind where you live. Lol.
    Keep safe and cool Monica.

zfrittz, Lisa Harry and monicasanchez like this.
  23. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Maples are wonderful, and even more so when they feel comfortable.

It is interesting that you do not fertilize yours after May. Here, as you say, we don't think about frost, at least not until February haha

It will be very interesting to see how your maples are reacting to the heat. :)

Take care!

Lisa Harry likes this.
  24. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

It may not be as hot as Spain here, but it's been pretty steamy here for the past month with not a lot of rain. Most of my maples are doing OK except for a couple, but I'm most concerned about my new Grandma Ghost. It looked healthy when it arrived but pretty soon after I planted it it started losing leaves. At least 25% just completely dried up. Those that are left look pretty stressed, but there are a lot of branches with buds on them. I took a bunch of shots but its hard to focus on the branch ends. Any prognosis?

Was in New Jersey to visit my daughter
    today at my son-in-law's mother's house and she has a very impressive hydrangea tree. No maples though.

Oh, and Harry says "Cheers!"

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  25. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good morning J and Harry. Looking at your Grandma ghost IMO, it is suffering from the stress of the move and location change. I wonder what the watering regime was like in the Spring before you received it !! I also find that it takes a whole year for a new maple to settle.
    Looking at the branches, it does have some good budding, so that is positive, but I think you will have to wait until 2021 for a good show, there appears to be some dead wood that needs taking out. I would do this now. No panick yet IMO.
    Lovely Hydrangea paniculata, wonderful condition and shape.

I see Harry is a Yankees fan...... or is it Dad!!!!!!