Holly tree pruning

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by PaulFishman, Jul 27, 2020.

1. PaulFishman

PaulFishman Member

Hi,
    I have a holly tree in a pot. It was losing some leaves so I put it in a bigger pot and it seems to be OK. It is getting quite tall and thin. Is there a way to prune it so it gets bushier and not so tall?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@PaulFishman, good evening Paul and welcome to the forum. I have a varigated Holly in a pot and have kept it small by pruning.
    IMO I would prune and take the top off to the height you require, 'but not now ' as you do not want new young shoots forming that can be damaged from Autumn frosts.
    Next year between April and beginning of July is the best time to shape your Holly.
    It will thicken once you carry out the pruning of the tip and side branches.
    Hope this is of help

3. PaulFishman

PaulFishman Member

It does help, thanks. Does it matter how tall I prune it? I mean how much I chop off? It is about 6’ tall now. I would like it about 4’

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@PaulFishman, not a problem at all Paul, it is a very hardy shrub. I would still wait until April at the earliest though.

PaulFishman likes this.