Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

when a few days pass the damage will be seen, I hope it will not be many.

monicasanchez likes this.
  2. sun

sun Active Member

@wind-borne , wow, I love the Aureum pictures. I wanted to ask you if your Aureum gets scorched at the top. I consider one for a place where it would get sun from about 8 in the morning to 1 p.m., it is quite wind-protected too. Do you think it might be okay without scorches?
    20200727_163312.jpg

It would be right in front of the chicken coop in the shade.
    But I would remove all the bushes along the fence first and replace them with an evergreen hedge first, so that there is a good contrast...

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@zfrittz, our fingers are crossed for you J. Let us all know how they get on.
    Take care.

4. Acerholic

@sun, Aureum in morning sun to 2pm, then afternoon shade and protected from wind. This photo after 34° C heat for a week.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, dicky5ash and sun like this.
  5. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic Wow that`s very good news. So it should also work on my plant location. I am surprised that your and wind-borne`s Aureums are so colourful at this time of the year. I have heard some people say that Aureums are not good concerning fall colour and that they mostly get brownish-yellow leaves before they fall.

6. Acerholic

@sun re your last about Aureum, this is an exceptional year of colour for the Shirasawanum's. When this happens the Autumn colour may not be very good as you have mentioned. Time will tell and I'm sure good or bad we will all post photos in a couple of months.
    That's the great thing about this forum, people are not worried about showing the downs as well as the ups. It helps us all !!!

7. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic D,I understand and I will stay tuned ...

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just knock 30 off the 45 and you have what we have in the north of england , but we also have rain by the bucket (see pic) and strong winds just to make it more fun !!

Attached Files:

9. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Yea, I missed my favorite part of the bark show which is usually the first day with a pea green.
    last year
    07.22.19 02.21 PM.jpg

and by early August
    08.05.19 08.12 AM.jpg

back to maples...

10. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @Acerholic here are some more pics from my partners maple where I thought it has two trunks maybe at one time. It has had so much growth since I pruned it see the pics I think it’s happy we also removed a tree that was next to it so it gets more airflow and room to grow. I’ll include two more on his property that are larger.

Attached Files:

11. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

12. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

13. Acerholic

@Lisa Harry, good evening Lisa, that is an amazing shape you have created. The branch structure is magical. Just an observation if that's OK, I would remove as much soil as possible from around the trunk and prune out the new shoots from the cut trunk.
    Very creative indeed Lisa.

14. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Thanks D @Acerholic for chiming in as my climate is so different with few days above 70˚.

@sun, every year my leaves have turned brown after just beginning to color up in fall. The leaves stay firmly attached though and the plant looks dead rather than bare. After a couple months I end up pulling them off as the curly brown look is far less nice than bare. Could be because I don't get cold soon enough as most winters I've been here are 9B though rated 9A.

15. sun

sun Active Member

@wind-borne, thanks for this information. I am hoping that you post updates from time to time?

16. ROEBUK

Again i find you get far better colours when they are in containers and well protected from the sun , yes if you can get them in the ground with excellent shade in the afternoon you will lesser the chances of leaf scorch but i always find containers work better to the stage where i have a large one in the ground at present and this is coming up after the leaf drop into a large container and will be placed in a very shady spot in the garden for next year, yes i am seeing great spring colours but come late summer i can see the leaf scorching begining to start and will only see reasonable amounts of colour change at the rear of the tree where the sun is blocked . Added a picture of one from about four years back well protected and with stunning fall colours , again with certain maple cultivars it's not how you grow them it's where you place them for the correct amount of light and shade.

Attached Files:

17. sun

sun Active Member

@ROEBUK , thank you for this useful information and the beautiful picture!

18. Acerholic

@ROEBUK , just had to put my sunglasses on to look at this one M. 'Very nice'.

19. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I’m just building my chicken hotel lol

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  20. ROEBUK

Thanks D , this is whats coming up for next year and will be replaced with a lovely Amber ghost , one up one in :) See what i mean about good spring colours and rubbish fall colours , very poor showing.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, envious here R. I'm not allowed in my deeds.

22. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Ohh that’s a shame..it’s double bed sized..going to keep 6..my son talked me into it..he wanted a hamster lol

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, I'm happy if I get the wonderful colours at least in one season. Think we may suffer for the amazing Shirasawanum Spring and Summer come October. We will see M.

ROEBUK likes this.
  24. ROEBUK

A few pics from today just managed to dodge the rain for 10 minutes before it started again. The ground Amagi shigure's are really holding their colours well this year so are the Purple ghost's and then summer gold which looks like it's going to be really red this year.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, sun, emery and 6 others like this.
  25. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@ROEBUK what is it called I just love it