bugs attacking cactus sprouts

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by globalist1789, Mar 3, 2006.

1. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hi all,

I’m trying to grow cacti from seed; you know, one of the mixed seed packs. I have 5 that have grown to seedlings. I noticed a couple of days ago that there where little white bugs attacking a new sprout. Not good! Any one who has done cacti from seeds knows how long I have been waiting.

These are not fungus gnat larva, that I know for sure. Perhaps aphids? I would need a magnifier to see them better. They are very white and very round. That is all I can make out. I gave them a dose of nicotine tea today, but I don’t know how long that takes to get them. Does anyone know what these things are and how to stop them? I REALLY want all this waiting to pay off.

Thankyou
    Michael

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I understand how long you've waited, as I am growing cacti as well. It isn't a good idea to spray toxic stuff on really young plants.How many are there, can you pick and squish?

3. tyrone

tyrone Member

meally bugs perhaps soft cottony looking or maybe some type of scale insect. try cue-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol works great on both

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

No, it’s neither of those. They seem to be little free walking bugs that only attack the fuzzy little roots that first sprout out. I don’t know what they were, but I used some spray that really affected my germination rate. The established seedlings seem unbothered by these critters.