Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Not sure ATM D, will have to have a good look.

Now those massive pots..I have an 11 foot Katsura, a 8 foot Shigitatsu Sawa and a 10 ft Osakazuki, each have been in 120 litre pots for 5/6 years.. I pulled them out and pruned back the roots year before last and put some new soil in.. when would be best to do a proper root pruning job and report them into the new larger pots or would you just slip them straight into the big pots and leave the roots alone? Does root pruning improve trees’ health?

2. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic@LoverofMaples@Luke`s Maples
    all of you thanks for complimenting my acers, I will tell them as I cannot take any credit for their beauty, they did that all on your own.

D, yes, please move my the thread or parts of it where it belongs, I really am a greenhorn concerning forums... And I am very happy that you think I am in a good maple zone. I thought they prefer warmer climates with very high humidity.

Luke, I would be very curious to see your pink Filigree, especially a close up of its leaves. I googled Pink Filigree and some of the plants look very similar to mine other under the same name look muche more fine leaved.

LoverofMaple, yes that`s Echinacea "Leuchtstern"(=Shining Star in English). Last year we removed the complete left half of the hill which really was only gravel with very little soil in between and removed a 6 metres long tunnel made from concrete chutes which was nice to play in when the kids were young. We filled everything up with good compost soil and I planted a Japanese Cherry on it last November and this year in March I have planted Stipa grass, Verbene bonariensis Lollipop and in the middle Pennisetum Hameln (which you cannot see at the foto as it isn`t blooming yet and hides behind the Stipa). There is also a lot of Salvia nemerosa, but I just cut it back.

As I think the best time for pruning I think is allmost over (?) I wanted to ask you: Do you think I should prune Jordan as he has some very long branches that look a bit out of place. I am always afraid to cut branches as I am never sure what is right and what wrong, but if you give me an advice that is manageable for a layman I would do it.

The same is with the red Dissectum. He has one branch that grows more out of the rounded shape, I do not dare to cut it because it isn`t a young branch and I don`t want to risk an infection. I attach you a foto of the branch and also a foto from the side where some branches died because of scorch some years ago which was very unusual as it normally copes really well. I don`t know if there is a way to encourage it to grow branches to close the pit that has developped.

20200725_181617.jpg 20200725_181654.jpg 20200725_181724.jpg

and our hill:
    20200725_170033.jpg 20200725_170102.jpg
    I planted the shadier sides with Hakonechloa macra and Aureola and with Hosta Halcyon, but they are also fresh planted this year...

3. sun

sun Active Member

BTW, on the first picture of the hill you see an October Glory Maple, which is also one of my favourites, I love all the older trees that I have becaus the ones I didn`t loved were all kicked out last year :)

4. sun

sun Active Member

in my post
    @Luke`s Maples
    and
    @LoverOfMaples
    didn`t turn green...? Maybe now?

5. sun

sun Active Member

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash, I would not carry out root pruning until September at the earliest. Regarding if root pruning is necessary, IMO it does help the tree in loosening the root ball for better air circulation and trimming to encourage new finer roots to allow for a better take up of nutrients.

If slip potting then that can be safely done now. For the tree that is, that size might not be too safe for you to move !!!!

Let us know how you get on R.

dicky5ash likes this.
  7. dicky5ash

Thanks D, not looking forward to the Osakazuki or Shigitatsu Sawa, the trunks are really thick and I remember them being hernia Inducingly heavy 2 years ago

8. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, do go careful R. @ROEBUK has been saying his in the large pots are getting nearly too much for one person to move. Yours are very large. All joking aside a hernia is really quite dangerous. Been there done that and have the scars to prove it.

9. Acerholic

@sun, all your lovely maples on here now A.
    Regarding your question, yes it is fine to tidy your maples now, a small amount only though. No more than 20% is my rule of thumb.
    Major pruning I carry out in February/ March. It might be a touch later for you in zone 7b.
    Regarding your Pink Filigree lace or Red dissectum, you can cut it now or wait until just before Spring. IMO I think it looks nice and has some character. But in time it will fill in.
    Regarding why it got burnt, the chemicals in the water in your swimming pool might be the answer there if it was splashed.
    By the way my wife and I love your Stipa ( ponytail grasses) They must look wonderful in the breeze.
    I'm so glad you are enjoying the maples forum, the members are all a jolly lot on here and will give any help they can.
    Do update us with photos after your Summer maple tidy.

10. dicky5ash

Noted..Thanks D..my back is playing up ATM with all this working from home malarkey..I must stop sitting on my 1960s low back Ercol sofa with my lap top..no good at all. I have one ornate pot that’s made from a brick like material, it’s 40” across with a Cornus controversa in it..I’d like to move that round the front Of the house but, it was a 3 man lift with no soil and no tree in it, id safely say it weighs a ton lol

11. dicky5ash

There was a lovely Acer palmatum 'Mikawa Yatsubusa at that nursery but it was a standard high graft about 6 foot tall, very reasonably priced at £125 For such a large tree but this cultivar has such a nice form it’s a real shame it was high grafted on a tall standard.

12. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, oh the Joy's of working from home. Our son has been doing that for the last few months and he has put on a lot of weight. Sofa, coffee, biscuits. Not a good recipe for a six pack, lol.
    Re your Cornus, might be better left where it is !!? Or hire a hydraulic hand fork lift.
    Enjoy the rest of your Saturday evening R. Enjoyed your postings today.

dicky5ash likes this.
  13. dicky5ash

Thanks..Same here no gym, more sedentary lifestyle, more wine, more snacks, a recipe for only one thing.

Regarding the Cornus..it will have to stay put for the time being. I was just thinking of thinning out the jungle a bit of the garden..to improve lower branch growth and moving sun tolerant trees to the front of my house.

Have a lovely evening D and all on here :)

Acerholic likes this.
  14. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , I will first read a bit in the forum about pruning and then decide if I do some pruning.
    The splashing from the pool is really a good explanation as it was a year with a lot of pool parties with a lot of kids ;)

I also love the ponytail grasses, they make a very peaceful atmosphere.

Do you think I can just let Jordan grow or is it important to cut his branches a bit to give him a more compact shape?

Another question: Can you maybe recommend other Dissectums (or also other Japanese maples) that are as bright as the one on my fotos? I would like to add another one that also stays like this from spring to fall... Luke said his Pink Filigree is darker than mine.

15. Acerholic

@sun, good evening A, of course you can let Jordan grow, people only tidy if they outgrow a position, need dead, diseased or dying wood to be removed or become unruly in their behaviour.
    The natural look is best if you have the room to allow it to grow.
    Regarding dissectums to choose. Have a look at mine I posted today. There are about 17 on there and all are today's photos so show Summer colours. If you want a really bright red then Red Dragon looks very nice Spring, Summer and Autumn. It is one if the red dissectums that does hold its crimson reds all the time.
    Luke's Red filigree is darker than your maple you wanted ID for, that is why he suggested Pink Filigree that we both agreed on.
    If you want a palmatum that holds its reds brilliantly through the Summer then Atropurpureum and Skeeters broom are excellent.
    I will attach both for you to see. (Close ups and further back).
    Hope that's of help.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK and monicasanchez like this.
  16. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic Wow, that`s exactly the colour I am looking for. I have seen @Lisa Harry `s beautiful Red Dragon in this thread. I think I will also get one next year. And I now consider buying an Atropurpureum for a place where I need a bit of visual protection. Thank you! But for this year the maples budget is fully consumpted. :(

17. Acerholic

@sun, you are welcome A. Something to look forward to next year then. At least you have an idea what you want.

18. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Like your self i have four very large trees to come up this year, this will be done in October/November as soon as leaf the drop is finished, have been doing this now for years now and never had any problems. All will be lifted root pruned then re potted in new growing medium ready for the following years of growing.You will definitely see a vast difference in your trees once they have had some work done on them.

dicky5ash likes this.
  19. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Steady now !!!! Large Omureyama getting a bit in front of itself.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, amazing M, the strangest year ever, but the colours are not unwelcome. What will October look like though?

21. Acerholic

Good morning, well what a night of heavy rain. No watering to do today at least !!
    Took these before breakfast today as the light was nice. If I had a camera that could get closer macro shots I would, as it's the individual beauty of the leaf that fascinates me the most with JM.

Have added a few that have been asked for. Hope they are OK.

Attached Files:

22. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Whatever camera and lens you're using, I'm always impressed with the quality of your photos - a feast for the eyes!

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

@Margot, how very kind Margot. Thankyou.

24. dicky5ash

@ROEBUK thanks much appreciated, I’ll defer till then. I saw improvements when I got them out 2years ago and chopped back some of the root mass but I was a little cautious.. if the root mass is a firm 2foot across, how much of this would you cut back?

25. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, just reading about a tornado in your neck of the woods yesterday R. Everything OK ?