Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

thanks D, I think the 2nd photo of the red dissected tree is ornatum..

The solid green one in front goes orange and then solid yellow in the autumn..any ideas what it is? I bought both off a table in Hampton court 7 years ago as tiny sticks but no name cards..the green one can be seen in the penultimate photo

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash, my thoughts are 'Viridis'. Here is a close up photo of mine.

Attached Files:

3. dicky5ash

thanks D, this is a November photo, same profile the green has turned fire orange to yellow

Attached Files:

AlainK, Nik, monicasanchez and 3 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, my thoughts are even more with Viridis now R. Orange and then bright yellow.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. dicky5ash

Thanks D

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Agreed. I love the last one especially. What is it? Also is that a Shigitatsu Sawa about half way down. How do you keep it looking so good? Lol

7. Luke’s Maples

That is incredible. Mine looks nothing like that lol

8. Acerholic

The thread has just gone past 40,000 views, a lot of people love all the amazing maples on here.

dicky5ash and Luke’s Maples like this.
  9. dicky5ash

The last photo is the lower and inner leaves on a Baldsmith I’ve shown on here before..the outermost leaves have now turned solid pink..but the lower and inner ones are two tone..(as were all of them a month ago)
    Yes the middle photo is Shigitatsu Sawa.. needs potting on into a huge 150ltr pot..not looking forward to the move

Attached Files:

10. Luke’s Maples

That Baldsmith is gorgeous. Yours in fact is reason I bought one. And now I have two lol

zfrittz and dicky5ash like this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

150ltr eh. Wow, I definitely don’t envy you taking that on. It is proper back breaking work too. It will be worth it in the end though because Shigitatsu Sawa is a very special tree IMO.

12. dicky5ash

I repotted mine last week into a 50cm pot, just gave it another 4cm around its circumference..the pot it was in was composite with a lip..took ages to dig gently around the circumference with the flat of my hand

13. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, that Baldsmith looks wonderful against the pale grey bricks R.

14. Acerholic

There has been a lot of discussions on this thread about Westonbirt, but there is another beautiful landscape with amazing colours.
    It is Stourhead in Wiltshire England. Over 2600 acres of walks that all the family would enjoy.
    I took these photos last year, sadly no visits this year YET.
    Photo 1 in the foreground is Acer palmatum 'red'. Photo 2 shows the same maple standing out from the opposite direction at the other end of the lake. Perfectly placed.
    I hope this has given a taster of Stourhead that you may feel you would want to visit one day. Recommendations are important on the forum and I thoroughly recommend a visit here.
    If not, then I hope you enjoy my photos.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Nik, BlackMaple and 4 others like this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

Beautiful. I will schedule a visit. Thanks for the recommendation.

16. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, you will not regret it Luke. Autumn is wonderful there and your children will enjoy the grottos etc etc. Glad I have recommended it to you.

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

When people say I have a large garden, I point to places like this. Now, that is a large garden!!

I took a few pictures of 'Mirte' but, having just upgraded my computer and operating system -- SSD drives are amazingly cheap now, really worth it -- I find that I can't load them from my phone anymore. No doubt I'll figure it out, but in the mean time let me say that mine is absolutely green, it's actually right next the 'Goshiki kaede' and gets only early morning and late evening sun. It hasn't suffered too much in the drought, but there are a few dead interior branches. Often I find when lower branches, that are well shaded, turn this early, it is because they are undergoing cladoptosis, the normal process of shedding interior branches.

@Acerholic there are some gorgeous paperbarks around, we like ours but it's not too much to write home about! :)

Well here are some pictures of the maple just behind the paperbark, which I took at the same time: A. japonicum 'Kujaku nishiki'. It was planted in 2010 and is now filling in (after quite a bit of training) the area as intended. On the left is a different 'Usugumo' than I posted recently: this one was planted in 2007 to replace an 'Autumn Moon' that was performing poorly in the spot. Behind them is a Trident maple, 'Hoshi yadori', and a good 'Silver Vein' that is not visible in these pictures.

'Kujaku nishiki' is truly spectacular in autumn, so that is when it's usually pictured, but this is the summer habit.

IMG_20200721_191158_1.jpg IMG_20200721_191230_1.jpg IMG_20200721_191249_1.jpg IMG_20200721_191319_1.jpg IMG_20200721_191326_1.jpg

AlainK, dicky5ash, Nik and 4 others like this.
  18. Acerholic

@emery, good morning Emery, you are right about size of gardens there are some massive estates out there. I was fortunate in a part of my career to be able to wander around some of the most spectacular gardens in the land. No photos I'm afraid, that would not have been the done thing, lol.
    But to the average person on this forum and I put myself in that bracket, your garden is what most dream of having. We are all fortunate that you share it with us all.
    Your A Japonicum 'Kujaku nishiki' is going to glow in the Autumn, I bet it lights up that area, I look forward to seeing it. But it's Summer green is rather nice as well.

Have a good day and I hope it rains soon for you.

19. Acerholic

Good morning, I try to keep things topical on this thread and after mentioning to Emery about rain, here are some photos this morning after rain.
    Also a photo of Oshu Shidare for @Luke’s Maples as he spoke about it yesterday.
    Red feather is keeping it's scarlet reds well this year.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Nik, dicky5ash and 5 others like this.
  20. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

I googled and went to a Wikipedia page

21. BlackMaple

BlackMaple Member

Truely amazing colorplay, especially with that brick background @dicky5ash
    I like the pot that the Baldsmith is in. You happen to have a reference for it?

22. dicky5ash

Thank you..I’m afraid that pot is not anything special just a black plastic Stewart’s 50cm tub, I prefer glazed pots but it was the perfect next size up. They are actually quite good for larger weeping form trees, when they grow out you can’t see the pot at all :)

BlackMaple likes this.
  23. dicky5ash

Beautiful trees D, all of them

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, thanks R. More rain tomorrow apparently.

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. dicky5ash

I must look out for them, I definitely want some ghosts