Philodendron Xanadu

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by AlexA, Jul 20, 2020.

1. AlexA

AlexA New Member

Helpful tips on how to grow and care for a xanadu? Mine seems to be dying bit by bit

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlexA, good morning and welcome to the forums. Some photos of your Philodenron Xanadu and where it is positioned watering process etc, would help members to reply if you have any particular concerns.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. AlexA

AlexA New Member

Placed in a shaded EAST facing window. At first it was over watered so i slowly cut down on the watering. I just water it now when it is dry or 85% dry. 3/4 of its leaves have fallen and is still continuing to lose some leaves without any new growth. So it already feels hopeless at this point but i’m hoping that there is a way for me to turn it around.

I am new to the houseplant world. I bought other philodendrons the same time as this xanadu and they all are doing well in said spot. Just having a problem with this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2020
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

For suffering from overwatering, it doesn't look too bad. It looks like it's the oldest leaves you're losing. It's going to have to hang in there until it gets some new roots, and as long as there is one leaf, it could do it.
    Is there a drainage hole in the bottom of this pot? Did you repot it? I'm wondering if it was planted too deep, with soil coming up over some of the leaf nodes. Can you check to make sure there are not stones or rocks in the bottom of this pot?

AlexA likes this.
  6. AlexA

AlexA New Member

Once i realized i was overwatering i stopped and watered only when almost dry
    Yes there are about 6 drainage holes
    Yes I repotted it because I panicked when leaves where dying one by one thinking that it would solve the initial problem of overwatering.
    There are a few stones covering the bottom of the pot.

what should i do regarding the soil coming up over some leaf nodes? How would i remedy the same if i planted it too deep?
    Should i transfer to a smaller pot? Since the plant is now smaller maybe there is too much soil?

however i am afraid that repotting again would cause more harm than good. Thank you very much for helping me.

7. AlexA

AlexA New Member

Just for comparison
    This is what it looked like when i first got it. After a few days the leaves started falling of one by one.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Maybe someone else can answer about going back to a smaller pot. I would at least take it out of the pot to remove the stones at the bottom (people did used to recommend doing that - now there is a lot written saying it's not good for drainage), and take the soil on the top back to the original level. It's a bit of a balancing act with the watering - you don't want it to get too dry either. When you water it, make sure it really is completely watered with water coming out the bottom, but not just running through - all the soil does need to be wet. It should feel a lot heavier after you water it. Wait to water it again until it feels quite a bit lighter, but not so that it is completely dry. Something I read said it should get around half dry. Don't use any fertilizer for a while. I don't know if it's a good idea to give it better light until it is doing better, but I think these like good light? You could check that.

9. AlexA

AlexA New Member

It was previously faced in a south and west facing window getting indirect bright light all day but it didnt make much of a difference. But thanks! I will try to remove the stones carefully.