Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@GreenLarry, good morning Lary, another UK lover of all things Acer.
    Nice to have a Field maple on the thread from up North. In a few weeks they will look ablaze with colour, so look forward to seeing some wonderful Autumn photos.

2. Acerholic

Lisa Harry, clorgan and monicasanchez like this.
  3. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good morning J and welcome to the forum Louise.

4. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, the sun is shining here at last.
    Here are a few I've just taken. I have a few scorched leaves appearing due to the very strong winds a couple of weeks ago but nothing too bad.

Attached Files:

Lisa Harry, zfrittz and monicasanchez like this.
  5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks @monicasanchez i appreciate the suggestions. I do plan on getting more
    and want to be sure I get one that’s can survive my area. Have you ever purchase trees online and had them delivered? I’ve been going to local nurseries But some suggestions that have been made to me I think will be hard to find.
    cheers
    Lisa

monicasanchez likes this.
  6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi the best cultivar for dry conditions are (of course after two or three years in open soil ) Acer palmatum Fire Glow ,Acer palmatum Yadawara,Acer shirasawanum Sensu,Acer palmatum Wild goose -of course the champion are Acer pseudoplatanus cultivars!

7. Acerholic

@alex66, good afternoon Alex, I like your selection very much. If anybody should know what maples are best in hot conditions you should. 9b that's tough !!

Lisa Harry likes this.
  8. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Couple of photos of Sycamore (A.pseudoplatanus) taken today

Attached Files:

Lisa Harry, Nik, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, Crocodile Dundee might say "call that tree, this is a tree".
    What a beauty Larry.

GreenLarry likes this.
  10. Acerholic

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Please, send us some while it's tax-free ! ^_^

No rain here for about a month, and it's a new heat wave, 32° yesterday, around 28-30 degrees this coming week.

13. Acerholic

@AlainK, if I could I would Alain. Summers are going to get hotter and dryer according to scientific reports a few days ago. More shade trees needed !!!!!!

14. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hello, here it is hot.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  15. Acerholic

@zfrittz, good evening J and ouchhhhh. How you are keeping your maples alive in that heat is beyond me!!
    We will all wish for some cooler weather for you.

16. AlainK

What do you mean by "Alas barras", "Resistencia" ?

I don't speak Spanish, nor can I get jokes in Spanish, but this made me think of my teens and "A las Barricadas" - a time that has not been totally erased so far, neither for me or others maybe LOL

See how cultural differences can show, especially when "people" only know part of the story...

Acerholic and zfrittz like this.
  17. zfrittz

@AlainK, I have not noticed what the advertisement of the poster said, only in the temperature that marks.
    But I clarify that it is only an advertising poster for the Alhambra beer and the bars it refers to is that of the bars or pubs..
    It is like saying, that people resist in the bars of the bars or pubs drinking beer, all this is for the covid-19.

Also here there was resistance to the political regime that we had many years ago, especially in my town, Fuente Vaqueros, in the first free demonstration for amnesty, which was held in Spain, when the first tribute was paid to Federico Garcia Lorca, who those times and how old we are getting. LOL

@Acerholic, I loved Peaches and Cream and Reticulatum purple that you published.
    Which would you say is more beautiful Reticulatum purple or purple ghost?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

@zfrittz, Oh J you are asking a question I don't honestly know how to answer. They are both beautiful IMO, Reticulatum Purple holds it's brighter red a lot longer. Purple ghost is as the the name states, 'Purple'. It is a very much darker colouring than Reticulatum Purple and has those ghostly lobes that RP doesn't.
    It is the reason I have both, I could not chose, lol.

Sorry I wasn't more definite with my answer J.

Glad you liked Peaches and cream also.

zfrittz likes this.
  19. AlainK

I heard flamenco based on his poems. saw a documentary several years ago on TV with a woman singing his poems, it was so powerful -though I hardly understand the language. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to download the video and I can't find it again.

Memories flake off...

zfrittz likes this.
  20. emery

Such a great one, and such a loss of course, among the thousands. I love his work, though sadly I must read it in English.

If you haven't read it may I recommend the excellent surrealist novel, "The Ingenious Gentleman and Poet Fredrico Garcia Lorca Ascends to Hell", by Carlos Rojas. Available in English translation by Edith Grossman, for duffers like myself. (For non-native American speakers, a duffer is originally a bad golfer, so called because he whacks up clods of earth and grass with the club. Idiomatically a duffer is anyone who tries something but isn't very good at it.)

wind-borne likes this.
  21. zfrittz

Fabulous novel by Carlos Rojas, I read it many years ago, and I think I will read it again, "El ingenioso hidalgo y poeta Federico Garcia Lorca asciende a los infiernos"
    Since I have so many ties to my town and to Federico Garcia Lorca I invite you to a tour of his native house, a fascinating tour of his life and work, I would be delighted to accompany you and introduce you to my great friend Jose Montero who is the guide and caretaker from the house of such a great poet.

22. emery

That's excellent, on both counts, thanks so much! I would love to come, perhaps after the virus is well and truly finished. The Rojas really is fabulous, very little known in English unfortunately.

23. zfrittz

Some bonsai

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

@zfrittz, good morning J, lovely trees and well protected looking at the screens. Still amazed at how you do it in 44°.

25. zfrittz

The truth is that it has taken me years and many good trees that I lost until I got it.

monicasanchez likes this.