Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

2. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

*@acerholic *May 2021 new *update from last year*** so below is my post from last year on my partners crimson queen it was its first ever underside pruning. Last week we did a ton of work on his property and I got to prune a couple maples. Here are some before and after pics of the crimson queen. Although this tree has always looks amazing I gotta say this year I think it looks the best yet, also confirmed by my partner. It has very little dead branches and I only took a bit out to basically finished what I wanted to do last year.. it’s growth this year was lots and it’s colour amazing I think it really benefitted from its pruning. As I’ve said I’m no gardener but I think it helped. The bottom 2 pics are from last year, the top four are last weeks before and after.

I think I figured out how to post here instead of replying to a specific person.. So thought I’d post a picture of my partners maple which I believe is a Crimson Queen. It’s what inspired my new found love of Japanese maples. This goes to show that sometimes all the fuss is for nothing, cause this tree has been treated like any other with water and shearing to prune/shape. (I know right unbelievable - shearing with electric shears!!!). It’s like he treats it like any other plant/ tree, no special attention - shocking really! Just a few weeks ago I did some cleaning up on it from the inside/ underside, which has never been done, it only gets water and periodically new soil/ mulch. I know it still needs some care which I politely reminded my partner of this afternoon, sadly his mother recently passed and many things have become a bit overwhelming. This tree has had the most basic care and it is truly beautiful. Hope you enjoy and hope my new additions can be this resilient on day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Lisa Harry, Wow that is a stunner Lisa , do congratulate your partner on a beautiful Crimson Queen.
    I have friends and two of my children who do the same, they run electric sheers over their maples and water if they remember and they look absolutely beautiful as your partners does.
    I do wonder if too much fussing is actually necessary or it's just what we enthusiats do.
    Looking at your photo though, I can see it has benefited from some careful pruning from underneath. That is always where pruning should be carried out. But your partners sheers have probably proved this theory totally wrong, lol.
    Great photos Lisa, love them.

4. Acerholic

As they have been requested, here are my two bright reds, still performing today on the 17th July. Skeeters broom and Atropurpureum.
    I've also added my Ariaki Nomura as the leaves are turning very fast ready for Autumn, so so strange. This maple has been in the same position for 30 years and has never changed like this at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

5. Luke’s Maples

The reds are amazing. My Skeeters Broom got well and truly battered by the winds we had over the last couple of months and doesn’t look anywhere near as nice as that. It shows how good a job you have done with your positioning.

Acerholic likes this.
  6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, they've released 2 of the 3 videos, and are apparently doing their ad campaign, hoping to get a few tourists through in August I suppose. The long one turns out to be about 6 minutes, I have to say that although I have since done so I hadn't yet managed to get a haircut! :) Luckily mostly Adele is featured, along with shots of the garden. Curiously they didn't use any of the indoor footage, (except her interview), so we cleaned up the house for nothing, but there are some nice garden and aceretum shots, as well as us walking around looking dreamy. Stuff to see even if you don't speak French (to my ear I sound strangely Canadian, where Adele just has the good old American accent). I feel like they showed more of the newly planted part of the aceretum than the more mature part, but it may have been easier to get with the drone.

Direct link to the full video:

The site, which also has the 2m video as well as, just a cut of the longer one, is S'installer dans l'Orne – Conseil départemental de l'orne

-E

BA006, wind-borne, wcutler and 6 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

After @Lisa Harry, Lisa's post this morning about her partner's Tamukeyama I went to my friends house and took a photo of their Tamukeyama. Today it is doing really well even though it is never watered or pruned correctly other than electric hedge cutters every Autumn.
    This maple IMO is bomb proof.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

Another Tamukeyama, of my neighbours this time. Again this one is not watered or pruned in any way including sheers etc.
    Looks pretty good to me.
    I know this maple is very common, but there is a very good reason for it. It is a 'survivor'.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

@emery, Two words only Emery ' ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL'.

10. Luke’s Maples

Amazing. Wonderful. If I lived there I would wander around looking dreamy too lol

Lisa Harry likes this.
  11. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks it is amazing, I’ll be so choked if mine dies. I think the tree is happier when pruned correctly. He says it has never looked so good since I pruned it. The tips burn when he shears it, he just brushes the burned tips off or waits for rain - like it’s all no big deal. the amount of new growth after I pruned it was wild. There is a lot more that could be done but I don’t think anymore this seasons I did quite a bit and it’s never been done. So funny but gorgeous either way.

12. Acerholic

OK, just got permission from my very elderly neighbour 2 doors from me to take this one and post it.
    It is an Acer palmatum 'Green'. 50 years old in position and I can validate the date. It was a 5 year old when placed btw, so 55 year old maple. I will post a photo in October now I have permission, it is stunning then.

Attached Files:

13. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Absolutely stunning, what a blessing to live in such a magnetic space! Thanks for sharing.

14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@Acerholic So gorgeous. I believe the one I posted is roughly 40 years my partner said his parents planted it when they built their house in 74? Not sure how old it would have been when they got it. We will look for pictures to try to determine age. Just amazing the older ones

15. Acerholic

@Lisa Harry, your partners tree was planted perfectly btw. On a mound so that water drains well. Do have a look around that thick trunk and make sure you can see the top roots. Do not allow anything to touch the trunk including soil.
    Looks like there will be some Maple competition between the two of you, Lol.

16. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@Acerholic No competition I want to transplant his to my home he can come eventually too! The tree looks like it has a 2nd trunk that has tried to grow that they must have always cut down. I’ll try to get a picture of it next time to show you.

17. Acerholic

@Lisa Harry, brilliant Lisa, the tree comes first, Lol.
    Re the second trunk, it may have been the graft that was removed.

18. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Yah really not sure. I’ll take a photo next time I’m there and show you.

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. A surprisingly stressful experience, glad it's over! -E

20. Acerholic

@emery, I can now put a face to the name. There is a saying 'if you've got it flaunt it' and you definitely have it !!!

Lisa Harry and Luke’s Maples like this.
  21. Luke’s Maples

Couldn’t agree more!

22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Yay, rain! The Moonfire and Tamuk are holding red pretty well. Harry finally got up off his butt to help me inspect the Garnet.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  23. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

wow all of those are gorgeous. so funny you have praying for rain we are dying for sun!!. We finally had like 3 days of nice weather now its overcast but at least its warm...

24. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good afternoon J. Beautiful contrasts of colours. It is definitely a Tamukeyama day !!!! Holding reds really well !!!
    Looks like you were taking photos in the rain, 'the intrepid photographer', me thinks.
    And Harry too, that's a happy set of pictures.

25. Acerholic

That's the beauty of this forum, so many climates with Maples at different stages of development and colours all over the world. Glad you are enjoying it all Lisa.

Lisa Harry likes this.