Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Luke’s Maples, thanks Luke. I agree, just when things are starting to look a little tired, along comes the second flush to brighten things up again.
    How exciting, another delivery, I'll will definatly look forward to seeing them later.
    Have a good day at work.

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

3. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good afternoon D, thanks, not a bad year tbh, much like the Shirasawanum's colours on this side of the pond.

4. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Garnet is greening up and the Autumn Moon and Ariadne are maintaining their green-ness!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good afternoon J, your Ariadne is still looking amazing and so green. Lovely selection of photos, even without Harry.

6. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks. Yeah I have to get Harry out for another photo shoot. He's so freaking lazy...

7. Acerholic

@dangerine49, Lol. And why not on a warm Summers afternoon.

8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

One of my 4 year old trees grown from seed. It's holds this color from spring to the being of fall.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D, that's a keeper, stands out beautifully in your immaculate looking garden. I must now do some weeding today !!!

10. Mani

Mani Active Member

Lovely, is it normal for Garnets to turn green?

11. Acerholic

@Mani, re Garnet, yes they do at this time of year, greens and bronzes on the Spring reds abound now.

12. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks- mine didnt do that last year, i suspect because the leaves were scorched and so was moved into shade?

I have noticed that mine is changing green now too but i thought it may have something to do with the fungus treatment :D

Good to know! An unexpected twist for this beautiful acer!

13. Acerholic

Good morning, after quite a few questions about maples turning earlier this year and @Mani has just asked about Garnet, I thought I would post these taken a few minutes ago.
    It is a strange year and as some have said it could be Covid related, ie lack of pollution levels alowing for increase in solar radiation reaching our trees!!!???? Perhaps a discussion for another thread?

Attached Files:

14. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Good morning, from the dissectums, which one would you say is redder and what better maintains the color throughout the season?

15. Mani

Mani Active Member

Great pic, D!

Exactly what is happening here too!

Hmm, my "Bloodgood" looks suspiciously like your Red Flash turning green like that!

16. Acerholic

@Mani, hmmm I was wondering about your Bloodgood. My Red flash is typical this year tbh. I hate to say it, but I don't think you have Bloodgood. Not to worry though, you are happy with what you have and that is all that matters. As a few have said before, try Hippopotering for a Bloodgood if you do still want it.

17. Acerholic

@zfrittz good morning J, here are my two dissectums that stay red the longest in my garden. Red Dragon and Crimson Queen. Photos taken moments ago for you.
    Hope it's not too hot today for you J.

Attached Files:

18. zfrittz

Thank you for taking the trouble to photograph them, they are very beautiful and have a great color.
    This is a picture of my Bloodgood, do you think it is a good Bloodgood?

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, monicasanchez and AlainK like this.
  19. Acerholic

@zfrittz, Hi again J, IMO it may not be a Bloodgood, I really hate saying this to people. Secondly, I know you keep yours in a lot of shade due to the intense heat, this may be the reason for not keeping its reds. They do need a good amount of sun to maintain the lovely red colours. It is a difficult decision for you I know with that heat.

Bloodgood starts in early Spring with green leaves then to a very deep red in late Spring to early Summer and vivid scarlet in the Autumn. That is what you should be looking for in a Bloodgood.

So, it could well be positioning of your tree.

Questions about what is a true Bloodgood will continue and continue I'm afraid.

Hope I have not said anything to upset your day J, that is far from what I want.

zfrittz likes this.
  20. zfrittz

It has been in the shade for a long time, but with the temperatures here it is impossible to put it in the sun.

21. Acerholic

@zfrittz, I totally understand J. I'm amazed at how well you are keeping it. May not be red but it looks very healthy indeed. 40°C is well and truly the outer limits of temperature for Japanese maples.
    'Keep it where it is'.

22. Mani

Mani Active Member

A bit like this then! Second pic shows it's still red ontop.

Attached Files:

23. Mani

Mani Active Member

As I was saying......

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and zfrittz like this.
  24. Acerholic

@Mani, re Garnet, yes that's how they go in Summer. Lovely specimen you have there.

25. Acerholic

@Mani, re your Bloodgood, yes suspiciously like my Red Flash. Is it in a lot of sun?