Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening M , you can't beat Yorkshire humor !!!!
    Glad everything is calm up there again. Let's see what this strange year throws at us next !!!?

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Alain can actually see quite a few of my trees which are already starting to get pronounced colour changes/hues already in the leaf at such an early point in the year, where normally i wouldn't expect to see this for at least a few more months yet very strange.

3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

A
    Mine are all pretty normal colour..If anything Moonrise is not as coloured as it has been previously at this point..very strange. Not sure if you saw my post about wind protection.

ROEBUK likes this.
  4. ROEBUK

My Flavscens last year coming along nicely , and what it looks like now after falling on it earlier this year, just hoping to see a little bit of back budding somewhere on the main branching where i had to cut two of the main branches off, time will tell. I Am always telling my mother to be very careful when walking in the back garden, and if she falls try and land on something non maple!!! which she then replied well you fell on one so what's the difference, ahh was my reply i know which one's to land on though !!! you don't.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, monicasanchez and dicky5ash like this.
  5. Acerholic

Now that's one to watch over the next few years M.
    Did she give you a clip round the ear for that comment, we are never too old for mums to know how to keep us in check, lol

6. ROEBUK

Yes i did read your post , i always find with the Shirasawnum family i always get better results ie fall colours when i keep them in containers in better protected areas, only have aureum , jordan and autumn moon have thinned out a few over the years now. The jordan i have in a container and this throws out interesting colours if i root prune this i can guarantee the following year the fall colours will be a beautiful mauve/purple and yellow, then the following years later it will be a stunning red. The other two cultivars are both in the ground and the colours are ok but would be a lot nicer if they were in containers. I am actually thinking of moving my large aureum into a container for next year ?? for better fall colouring and less leaf scorching as well , then comes the problem of where to situate for minimum sun exposure.

7. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I think it will recover well and be looking great again in perhaps 3 or 4 years? I was a great shape though and in a very nicely planted position with the rocks/bricks etc. I can imagine how blue the air turned as you heard the snap when it broke your fall. Ouch.

8. Luke’s Maples

Has anyone ever used Larch Cottage Nurseries? They have a great selection of Japanese Maples in different sizes. I just stumbled on to their site whilst searching for Mon Papa.

My basket Now has 14 items in it. Obviously I don’t intend on pressing the button, but it’s nice to have a little list on the go...

9. ROEBUK

Luke only moved this a couple of years ago, it was in a spot where i couldn't get a good view in the fall, so moved it and it actually had taken very nicely , bought this years ago as a small 5ltr and it throws out lovely fall colours yellow/orange very pretty tree.

10. Acerholic

I've seen them online but not used them, I do tend to keep to tried and trusted. Or recommendation. !!!
    Hope the 14 stays in the basket Luke, press the button next year as you said earlier.

11. ROEBUK

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, very interesting M that you get better Autumn colours with your Shirasawanum's in pots. I've found the opposite down here in the South.

13. ROEBUK

Just gives you the look only mothers can give then you know !!!!

14. Acerholic

And what a look it can be lol.

ROEBUK likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Now that's a good recommendation M. That's what I like to go by.

16. Luke’s Maples

Thanks. That is good to know! I agree regarding sticking with what works and using recommendations etc. I quite like exploring different nurseries and seeing how they differ. I usually just buy one that I really want to start with and if I’m satisfied with the quality and if priced reasonably then I will go back. And then that leads to recommending to others.

17. Luke’s Maples

I just had a quick look and I think Neil is the owner of Larchfield Trees in Coventry rather than Larch Cottage Nurseries up in Cumbria.

18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Random snake bark maple growing I don't remember planting.

Attached Files:

19. Luke’s Maples

That is a great pic from underneath. Such a vivid green. I like it.

20. ROEBUK

Yes you are right there , but i know he does have some nice trees, all depends what you are looking for at the end of the day , keeping telling you about Packhorse farm only thing is you have to go there yourself no mail order, think you going there though would be a bad thing , as to quote from the film jaws 'think we need a bigger boat' you will definitely need a bigger car/van that i can guarantee you :)

21. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great !

But using scientific names would be appreciated.

Are these "Acer davidii" ? In French, we call them "érable du père David".

"snake bark maple", "érable à peau de serpent" can refer to several species. a bit like when people in the US use the term "cedar" that can refer to so many different, non-related species...

I must be on the grumpy side tonight, sorry but "snake bark maple" is too vague. For many people it doesn't mean a thing if you don't use the real name.

22. Luke’s Maples

Lol.. one of the best quotes from one of the best films. And so very relative. I will definitely arrange a trip up there I think. Perhaps leave my card at home and just take £100 in my wallet, just avoid any compulsive behaviour lol.

23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Sorry. If I knew I would have put it. I didn't plant it. So snake bark it is.

There is nothing wrong with being grumpy or not meaning a thing to whomever. Just enjoy the pic or not. I enjoy looking at a random tree that randomly showed up on my property.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  24. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@ROEBUK Interesting...I’ve got all 80 of my trees in glazed terracotta or composite stone pots..from 30lts to 200ltrs..I find I can move them around better for shelter and shade..And play till it’s right..not all gardens are suited to pots admittedly..my only issue is slowly the pot sizes I need are getting bigger and bigger and the largest are rather expensive.. I have 3 trees now that are in refuse bin size 130ltr pots that really need to be moved on..£ouch

I need to learn about root pruning, that would help a bit

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  25. Acerholic

Good morning Luke, @Luke’s Maples that's a very good plan re buying just the one and then seeing how it goes. I just am so wary these days about new sellers I haven't bought from before and then losing another maple.