Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Heard that before Lol

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@Acerholic here is a pic of my Dancing Peacock. I'm getting jealous because y'all are getting some amazing color over there.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, monicasanchez and 6 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, D no need to be jealous when you have greens like that. They are stunning.

4. Castor

Castor Active Member

0EB63F14-FF6E-4975-981D-3F93925F6C51.jpeg

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, monicasanchez and 6 others like this.
  5. Castor

Castor Active Member

Here’s a pic of my dancing peacock.

6. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Not only me that can't keep up, plants too are lagging.
    I was only 8 pages behind which translates to a couple days.
    @Acerholic, 'Aureum' is about 3 weeks behind yours in developing red tips.
    DSCN1615.jpg DSCN1601.jpg DSCN1618.jpg

AlainK, monicasanchez, emery and 3 others like this.
  7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@Luke’s Maples it’s funny what catches the eye of a maple lover..see below pics I took in the autumn at Westonbirt..same trees..same angle..my photo then your photo..spooky! Beautiful in both seasons

Attached Files:

8. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

How interesting. Yes I agree, they are beautiful at any time of the year. Autumn is most spectacular but it gets very busy. There were a few people there yesterday but it felt very peaceful. I spot different trees each time I go.

dicky5ash likes this.
  9. Acerholic

@Castor good morning, what a beautiful and very healthy Dancing peacock. It's not just about Spring and Autumn!! I myself like to get close to the leaves in the Summer as they are so interesting.
    Great photos.

10. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, good morning R, just compared yours and Luke's photos, as you say quite spooky !!!!!

11. Acerholic

@wind-borne, good morning G, the beauty of this forum is seeing all the differences between our maples from time zones and environmental influence. Really makes it so interesting.
    Your Aureum photos are my first to see along with R @dicky5ash on waking this morning. Nice way to start the day. Still got in my mind Luke's @Luke's Maples visit to Westonbirt yesterday as well. A happy start to the day !!!!

12. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, that's an early start to the thread Luke. Lol. Happy thoughts at work of your lovely day out ???

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  13. Luke’s Maples

Swim training actually but yes lol

14. Luke’s Maples

Working on hand entry and catch

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, brilliant Luke, technique,technique,technique. Groove this before anything else and it stays forever. Muscle memory!!
    Btw I've been researching Westonbirt records office re your question last night. Unfortunately it is not open to the public. But I found this link I think you will find interesting.
    So how does our Collections Policy relate to our plants? | PlantNetwork
    I'm still wracking my brain to name that maple though lol.

16. Luke’s Maples

Next time I go I will take a closer look. It was very pretty. I recall seeing the name tag on a Yubae but not sure if it was that one or not.

17. Luke’s Maples

Yes it is so important. He is so competitive though and even in training he looks around trying to finish drills before his mates. It’s drives me nuts. Using this endless pool is great as there are no distractions, apart from an annoying dad who thinks he knows everything lol.

18. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, hmmm dads, and getting involved, can be quite a problem with coaches, lol. Do try and convince him that technique is king. Competitiveness is OK, as long as it does not interfere with technique.
    Hope you found the Westonbirt link informative, I do think there should be better signage regarding names there. I did contact them several years ago about this but nothing was done. Costs I suppose !!
    Have a good day.

19. Luke’s Maples

Thanks D. I’m out atm getting my daughters hair cut. Busy busy. I will have a look at the link in a bit. I took a couple of pics of Mystic Jewel earlier, and I must say it’s actually very pretty. So different from anything else I have. I was sceptical at first regarding the colours and although the photos online have almost certainly been enhanced, it has really surprised me. What do you think?

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Totally agree Luke , this one 'is' turning out to be a jewel. Next year with the kind of care we all give our maples this may turn out to be very special indeed. Lovely pics you have taken on a busy family morning, well done !!

21. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, OK I just took these of mine, 'Mystic Jewel'.
    This is very useful for comparison at similar stage in development. Good idea Luke.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz and monicasanchez like this.
  22. Acerholic

Last night G @wind-borne posted photos of his Aureum showing that his colour is behind that of ours in the UK. Thought I would take a photo of mine to compare the difference a few thousand miles makes in the development of the Shirasawanum's this season.

Attached Files:

dangerine49, AlainK, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

As I was taking a photo of one Shirasawanum, thought 'well why not take a few more', lol. So pleased with these this year, even Jordan with it's problems from the drying winds.

Attached Files:

24. Luke’s Maples

Just had a look at this. Thanks for taking the time to dig this out. Brilliant.

I’d love to take a tour around the arboretum with Mark Ballard and Dan Crowley. That would be epic! I wonder whether either of them are members of this forum?

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Don't think so Luke, but perhaps the MS could do another organised vist there in the future with a guide !!!??