Identification: Houseplant fungus ID

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Gaby53, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Gaby53

Gaby53 New Member

These guys have been popping up recently in my Lady Clivia houseplant. The plant itself is healthy and doesn't seem to be bothered by them, but I'm no expert in fungi, so I want to make sure they're harmless.

I'm honestly not sure if this is one fungus or multiple; there are brown stalks with caps, white dots or squiggles, and also some orange stuff around the edges (see picture).

Any help with IDing this and any insight into whether or not I need to worry about it would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi this is quite common if a plant does not have enough circulating air or light and is being over watered. Your photos do appear to have very wet soil. Fungus spores do very well in these conditions, but as a whole it is not dangerous, simply a saprophytic fungus.
    You can remove the layer of fungus from the top, but wear a mask if you are allergic to such things.
    But I would consider replenishing the soil in the pot completely with good quality sterile house plant compost.
    Move it to a better light with free flowing air and water only if it needs it. A finger test into the top of the soil will show if it actually needs to be watered. If it feels dry then water, if not then don't.
    Hope that's of help.

Gaby53 likes this.
  3. Gaby53

Gaby53 New Member

That's very helpful, thank you for your response! I was suspicious it was being over-watered - thank you for the clarification!

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Gaby53, you are very welcome.