Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon P, your Red Pygmy is really red. The contrasts of the dark and light give it a strange but lovely look. Can see why its your favourite. Enkan is such a busy maple, never seems to know quite what it is. A firm favourite everywhere.
    Hope you have some protection for the pots tomorrow, very strong winds forecast.
    Enjoyed your photos P.

2. vbx

vbx Active Member

Speaking of watering, how often do you water trees planted in ground in the summer?

I've been watering every 2-3 days in summer. using the drip system.

Also, there seems to be some soil buildup around the base of the trees due to mulch. Do you guys remove the soil building and remulch?

3. Acerholic

Good evening @vbx, I water when it's required and not regimented, otherwise over watering can occur. I will pull away some mulch around a few trees to feel how the soil is. If dry then water, if moist no water. It does them no harm to allow drying in between watering and in fact it is better for them. This is for my ground and pots.
    If you have earth build up around the trunks then do remove this otherwise rotting will occur. I like to see a little of the root flare, then you know you have it right. I then re apply the mulch only a little near the trunk but no touching.
    Hope that's of help.

4. Acerholic

Goodness me, is this July or October !!!! Heavy rain, trees bending over sideways. It's time for that Monty Python song again, lol. Always loo......

Cjart and monicasanchez like this.
  5. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hello, today I present you some grafts that I made on Friday, as soon as I received two twigs, one from Shaina and the other from Skeeters Broom, it took almost a week to arrive and they had very little sap, even so I managed to graft 2 of Skeeters broom and 3 of shaina, I hope that one sprouts, and you can see how it grows.
    From here I want to thank the companion of the forum who has selflessly sent them to me. Thank you.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, AlainK, emery and 2 others like this.
  6. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    We live in a wonderful world. In some places it rains frequently, in others the drought lasts too long ... It's fascinating how maples adapt.

And speaking of maples planted in the ground. I've been thinking about building a basic "planter" in the garden (in the fall) for some time. A few blocks, and shade mesh inside. The soil is alkaline and therefore is not suitable, but that is why it will be filled with coconut fiber since they do not fare badly with that substrate.

The depth will be about 50 centimeters, and the width of one or two meters. The idea is to plant the Seyriu there.

Time and weather will tell if it's a good idea, or an absolute failure.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  7. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Grafts look great. Good luck!!

8. Acerholic

There is a lot of kindness on this forum as you say J. The person who sent these to you shows that. Who ever it was, 'well done'. And good luck with the grafts J.

9. Acerholic

Good morning Monica, you are so right about weather conditions around the world, it is highlighted a lot on these forums.
    Please do a photo diary of your new planter starting in the Autumn, I would love to see how it progresses. Good choice Seiryu.

monicasanchez likes this.
  10. zfrittz

They have not been bad, although as I said before they came a little dry, since they came from the US, to see if they are lucky with them and we can see the growth
    Thanks Monica and Acerholic for your encouragement

11. zfrittz

@monica, if the bottom soil is very alkaline do not forget to put a good handful of sulfur in the bottom mixed with the alkaline soil, to acidify it.

12. Acerholic

Good advice from J @zfrittz, I use it due to a very high clay substrate.
    It is also good for equine use, I used to add a little in Spring and Summer to my horses feed for sweet itch. Worked brilliantly.

I've added a photo of mine that I use.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and AlainK like this.
  13. zfrittz

It is very good and it is also a good fungicide.
    I always put him on the ground

14. Acerholic

Totally agree J, even in neutral soils I would reccomend it. I always make sure I put it down on a calm day though. It blows everywhere, Lol.

15. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Good afternoon D, I got the Red Pygmy about two months ago, it is now about 20cm tall and has a very nice red colour on new leaves. Hope it can keep the red colour until autumn. Enkan is an interesting plant, its leaves are not as narrow as Red Pygmy and holds the red colour very well into summer. The wind is still very strong here.
    P

16. Acerholic

Good afternoon P, yes it's strong here as well. An interesting Summer and Autumn for you with a new tree. Look forward to seeing how yours looks in a few months.

17. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Ariadne is showing a little pink plus some other interesting stuff...

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  18. Acerholic

Good evening J, your Ariadne is just so green. Amazes me each time I see it. But it's definitely on the turn now. Lovely to see some photos of trees not being bent double today. I have never seen the wind so strong here in July in all my life.
    How is it there in Long Island ?

dangerine49 likes this.
  19. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The last two photos are a cultivar of "Sugi", Cryptomeria japonica, right ?...

Here, the summers are too dry, and hot - now. They survive, but tend to lose bottom branches, like Sequoiadendron giganteum.

20. AlainK

What type of graft are they ? I was planning to try a few, maybe after July 14th, so I'm interested in the method you used : T-shaped cut on the root stock, than a slice of the scion bearing one or two buds (chip budding), or else ?...

21. zfrittz

Now in summer the one I use is the one I put on the graph

Attached Files:

22. AlainK

Seedlings : dozens from 'Sango Kaku', dozens from 'O sakazuki', dozens of 'Ryusen' (I've already repoted some in individual pots), a dozen from 'Atro. dissect.', others :

Semis20_200705a.jpg

All the 'Atro. dissect.' were red except one, the one in the top-right corner. They're all turning to a different colour now, but all these "eleven brothers" are a different colour. Like the horses in the Wizzard of Oz.

;0)

Semis20_200705b.jpg

If they survive, I'll give away most of them - stay tuned !

But I'll keep the "Atro. dissect.", which means I'll have to repot them in bigger pots to see how they evolve, which means more space for them. I've got a big cherry tree in the back of my garden, I think I'll have to cut it down if I carry on reproducing maples... ^^

23. AlainK

Oh, I see. It's a very unusual type of graft. Thanks for the info, I must try it.

24. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@zfrittz I was also wondering if that's some kind of "buddy tape".

Little bit soggy here today (but not real rain) and occasional bits of sun, I was inspired by the posting on the thread to show some of the summer colors.

Aconitifolium
    IMG_20200705_161424_1.jpg

A. tenuifolium 'Keikan zan'
    IMG_20200705_161528_1.jpg IMG_20200705_161546_1.jpg IMG_20200705_161602_1.jpg

Shin Chishio
    IMG_20200705_161714_1.jpg IMG_20200705_161734_1.jpg IMG_20200705_161700_1.jpg

A. circinatum 'Sunglow'
    IMG_20200705_161805_1.jpg IMG_20200705_161846_1.jpg

A. sterculiaceum ssp thompsonii
    IMG_20200705_162007_1.jpg

'Shigitatsu sawa'
    IMG_20200705_162201_1.jpg IMG_20200705_162221_1.jpg IMG_20200705_162249_1.jpg

A. negundo 'Variegatum' (much less pink than Flamingo')
    IMG_20200705_162353_1.jpg

Just because it's so good in sun without burning, and such a good red, 'Pixie'
    IMG_20200705_162507_1.jpg

'Emmett's Pumpkin', really turning red
    IMG_20200705_162606_1.jpg IMG_20200705_162634_1.jpg

'Autumn Moon'
    IMG_20200705_162819_1.jpg IMG_20200705_162840_1.jpg

-E

25. Acerholic

What a seedling day !!! So many growing that you never think will, then the problem, 'where to put them'. Osakasuki does do well everywhere = lots of brilliant scarlets in the Autumn. Our gardens are just too small.
    Trays of seedlings though makes me so happy. Love your photos Alain.