2019 seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jun 3, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The two on the left are from the 2018 MS seeds exchange, I put those that didn't germinate in a pot in 2019 and I got these. The others were collected from various trees in a local arboretum but I couldn't label them, and anyway they don't look like the ones I saw there as far as I can remember :

acer-xix_200603a.jpg

Two more, UBC and local arboretum :

acer-xix_200603b.jpg

I have a couple of dozen more, A. tataricum - easy to identify, A. palmatum, more or less like the plain species, big-leaved ones that could be A. rufinerve.

Thunder and lightning outside, then pouring rain for half an hour, and I can still hear the rain outside. Good, no need to water the pots, more time to mop the kitchen floor. I mean, it's already "clean" to my standards (did that 3 days ago), but the more often you do it, the less time it takes.

I like when the weather allows me to forget about maple care and spend more time on my "social environment" ;-)

Nik, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Alain, Ahh Summer rain, it has a wonderful smell and I do like to watch it.
    They look strong seedlings, fingers crossed for you. Although a couple of dozen more can bring more headaches of where are they going to go lol.
    D

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hey Alain your second photo looks very much like A. takesimense (formerly A. pseudosieboldianum ssp takesimense).

AlainK likes this.
  4. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Some seedlings received from the 2019 MS seed exchange. One A. davidii, several A. sieboldianum, one A. japonicum, two A. fansipanense, several A. diabolicum, several A. longipes, and several A. tartaricum.

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  5. kgeezy20

A few more from the 2019 seed exchange and some Nyssa sylvatica collected from a family property.

Attached Files:

Nik and AlainK like this.
  6. Acerholic

Good morning K , great to see your seedlings. Looking healthy!!

kgeezy20 likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Hi again K, do you have them under a grow light ?

8. kgeezy20

The ones in the second picture are indeed under lights in my basement. They will be coming out into the “real world” either today or tomorrow tho, as well as being transplanted into a bigger tray.

9. Acerholic

Ahh the big moment K, out into the real world. Do update this thread on how they get on. It is 'wonderful'to watch. D @LoverOfMaples also has a great batch of seedlings this year that are looking strong.

10. kgeezy20

Will do. I have a few others I’ll post pictures of later today hopefully.

11. Acerholic

Look forward to it.

12. kgeezy20

Here is a better photo of the second set of seedlings I shared. And then a pot of some A. davidii seedlings and another pot of A. sikkimense.

Attached Files:

Nik, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

Wow Acer sikkimense, rather rare, fingers crossed that a lot make it K. Love the deep colour of the leaves in the Autumn on this one.
    All outside now for the rest of Summer?

14. kgeezy20

I have never been fortunate enough to see any A. sikkimense before now, so I am excited. Not yet, but hopefully they all will be by this time tomorrow.

15. Acerholic

Do protect those babies K. Great postings today. Thankyou

kgeezy20 likes this.
  16. kgeezy20

Here is about 7 A. pentaphyllum seedlings. I know I should probably get them out of the same pot, but I feel pretty confident after repotting some other pentaphyllum seedlings from another tray that their roots are still a long ways from being cramped at all.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

@kgeezy20, good evening Kyle, they look so good and no signs of overcrowding at all, very healthy indeed. I like your true gardeners workbench with tools and pen etc at hand. The photo says, 'I'm working on my plants' as I always do.

18. AlainK

I've just found back a bag of A. pentaphyllum that didn't germinate, so I brought them down in the garage to plant them anyway, but I forgot about them. I've found the packet again, and several have sprouted. I haven't opened the bag yet, but the ones that germinated show an elongated petiole with light green dicotyledons, I'll try to put them in compost but I'm afraid they'll just rot. The others are probably not viable. One of the inconvenients of being a messy, disorganised, forgetful person... ^^

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  19. Acerholic

So annoying when that happens, I've done the same finding a neatly folded brown paper bag in a kitchen drawer all written out nicely with lots of lovely but useless seeds enclosed. So your not alone Alain lol

20. kgeezy20

Same thing has happened to me with multiple Acer sp. and I planted them, then placed a semi-transparent grocery bag over the tray, and put the whole thing under some shop lights and most turn out okay if they aren’t too far gone to begin with.

Acerholic likes this.
  21. AlainK

Among those that look a bit different from anything I have, there's this one (maybe 2018 rather than 2019). The new shoots are bright red, a bit darker, but more luminous in real life :

acerp-div_200707a.jpg

maf, Nik, kgeezy20 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Acerholic

Good to hear Kyle. Nature always finds a way. Got that from Jurasic Park btw.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Like that one Alain. Do you know the parentage?

24. AlainK

No, it's either from a bag of "miscelaneous palmatum" seeds from the UBC, or samaras I pocketed in a park.

25. Acerholic

Lol, lucky dip then Alain, 'just as exciting'.