Maples Reference Books

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Daniel Mosquin, Apr 15, 2004.

1. nelran

nelran Active Member

Hi, Spookie, as Texan, for sure you know what hurricane winds means!
    Fortunately, the area were I live (about 30 miles west of Houston) didn't have most of damage reported on Galveston island; Houston's downtown and the surrounding neigborhoods. Certainly we lost some trees and experimented power & water outages for a few hours, but as you said a large part of the Houston's areas still don't have power.

My backyard took direct impact of the strongest winds, however, most of the youngest trees kept in place. Only some of my Queen palms suffered a little. Surprisily the planted maples did excellent with no damage at all (just most of the old scorched leaves were gone!). Most of my JM collection is actually in pots so I moved them inside the garage so they missed the storm force. I hope that soon most of the power damages will be solved, so people will get back to normal conditions. Galveston and some of the coastal neighbors however, will take a while to recover.

Best Regards

Nelran

2. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Sorry katie for the delay,
    I am now able to get online, and we have power. I think I had it easy to the southern American coast-namely Texas your home territory.
    No Mr. Beasley was not specific, but I have his email, so I will write to him and ask again hoping he will be more specific about the availability and where to buy from.
    I will let you know as soon as I can in due course.
    Kindest wishes,
    P

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

AlainK likes this.
  4. BA006

BA006 Active Member Maple Society

I’m not sure if this thread is still active as there was no new comment after 2010. Anyway, I am looking for the book “Book for Maples” by Mr Masayoshi Yano. The paperback version is no longer available. If anyone has a copy that they don’t need, please PM me.
    Thank you.

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning H, you and me also, I've been looking for this one for some years now with no luck. It will reappear !!!?? Hopefully.
    I do love the Authors mantra in saying maples should be viewed close in the Spring and from afar in the Autumn.

maf likes this.
  6. BA006

Good afternoon D, it's sold on Japanese secondhand book website recently but the price was too high for me so I didn't purchase it. Hopefully someday! I will let you know if there are any information.
    I agree with him that the maple colour in spring (of course in Autumn), it's fabulous.

7. Acerholic

Thankyou H , me likewise, if I see one for sale I will remember to let you know. Rare books are so very expensive these days. Perhaps a re print might happen !!!?

BA006 likes this.
  8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'm afraid there is no reprint planned at this time. The issue was discussed in Japan but they decided to do a release in digital format on a DVD. It can only be purchased directly from the World Maple Park in Nara Prefecture. I don't have the link but a determined search will probably find it.

It is too bad, since it's a great book and the print run was not large enough to supply all that wanted it. Personally I wish I had it in hardback, the boards have not stood up all that well, but grateful to have a copy as the occasionally available used copies are hideously expensive.

BA006 likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Good afternoon Emery, It's amazing that it also cost him $100,000 of his own money to publish as well.
    But as you say, now hideously expensive on the rare book market.

PS how is the garden tidying coming along? All ready to be viewed??

BA006 likes this.
  10. BA006

Thank you Emery for the information. I might consider the digital version if I cannot obtain the paperback book.

Wow, it cost him $100k to publish? I admire his passion. I love to visit his Maple park in Nara someday

11. Acerholic

I think that's what is called total dedication. Do let everyone know if you find a digital version in English?

12. Acerholic

@BA006 btw H, do prop up your trees tomorrow or move to sheltered area. The wind looks rather bad.

13. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

"Japanese secondhand book website " hi which is the link?

14. BA006

Hi D, the DVD language is in Japanese. I have asked one of the DVD sellers if they are going to translate it into english. He said the person (professor?) who translated the original book has sadly passed away so maybe not but I will inform you if I hear any news.

>>btw H, do prop up your trees tomorrow or move to sheltered area. The wind looks rather bad.

Oh, thank you for letting me know. I will move them in shattered area.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Thankyou H. Much appreciated.

16. BA006

Hi Ale66, the below is the website however this website is really for someone who understands Japanese and most of the shops will only send the books to Japanese addresses. A month ago, the book was available but the price was 13,500yen. I thought it's too expensive for me so I didn't purchase it.
    日本の古本屋 / About “Nihon no Furuhon-ya”

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  17. Acerholic

Just looked on the website from P @BA006 13,500 yen £100 for a paperback, silly money !!! As it's no longer in print I don't think it will come down in price sadly.

18. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There is no more dedicated maple person than the great Yano-san. @alex66 (another very dedicated maple lover, with a spectacular collection -- Alex you need to get me costs for Rome!) and I are friends with Yano on FB, he is tireless in his development and upkeep of the World Maple Park. I haven't yet been there but will certainly plan a visit for my next trip to Japan, assuming we can ever do that again.

There is no English translation planned of the Japanese DVD, probably a question of funding. I wonder how much it would cost, or if we could find a volunteer.

Although the book has paper boards, it is a full-sized glossy book and reasonably well made. 100 pound is quite reasonable compared to some of the prices I've seen, and I'm sure there are many who would gladly pay that... It is an indispensable reference. Many new reference books (like "New Trees", or genus specific works from the Kew group) are more expensive. Sadly in our times books are printed in smaller quantities, which drives up the prices.

-E

BA006 likes this.
  19. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I used the contact form at East Nara Nabari Tourism Marketing (enntourism.com) to ask what I should say on our Maples Resources page about ordering the book or DVD (because I used the form, I can't check to see how exactly I asked my question). Akiko Hayashi replied:
    Currently the DVDs are not sold at World Maple Park either online or offline, but you can order a copy on this site by Nakano House Art Museum (or Nakano-tei Museum of Art) in Niigata Prefecture.
    中野邸記念館:矢野正善氏監修 カエデの本(電子書籍版) (only in Japanese)

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me anytime.​
    Her email is akiko.hayashi at the website I mentioned.

BA006, Acerholic and emery like this.
  20. Acerholic

@wcutler, good afternoon Wendy, what a helpful and friendly reply you received from Akiko Hayashi. So nice in this day and age to see such courtesy.
    Excellent informative posting from you also. We will now have to wait and see!!!

BA006 likes this.
  21. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi Emery in this moment the cost is variable for the lockdown ,Rome is one desert city :( i hope in autumn return the normality-many thanks for info ,i not found the correct page with the price ! :)

22. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

I have a few books on maples I've found online.
    Would it be illegal to put them here, for download?

23. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would say generally that you would have to consider it illegal unless you can confirm on the site where you obtained them that they were posted legally and are offered legally for download (or can somehow otherwise confirm that). And if you can do that, why not just post the link? The place on the forums to do that is this thread:
    Maple Resources Discussion Thread

Acerholic likes this.
  24. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

ok, the problem is that I have downloaded them over the years and I would not know where to download them, since many sites no longer exist.

25. Acerholic

I think that is OK J. You are not selling them or advertising to sell. People copy links all the time to read on other sites. ie Wikipedia newspaper articles etc etc.
    The only thing would be copyright, do you have permission from the author to reproduce? That can be a minefield with litigation etc.

If it were me I would not do it. Being helpful to others can sometimes lead a person unwittingly into the courts. I speak from experience on this. On the right side of the law I must add, Lol.

Very nice gesture though J.