Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thanks that makes sense yes.

2. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    There a very young maples. Amazing. So you see them grow hehe

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that kind of maple. I love it. But as you say, I have not yet met any maple that I did not like.

3. monicasanchez

Summer is here, for good and for bad.

Today I show some photos of the damage that some maples are having, in particular the palmatum and the Beni Maiko.

The Atropurpureum is in the same area and yet it is intact. The Seyriu is more protected.

Temperatures of 30 degrees Celsius maximum, about 20 degrees minimum, and an environmental humidity of at least 50%.

20200703_175753.jpg 20200703_175801.jpg 20200703_175834.jpg 20200703_175858.jpg

pphdam, wind-borne and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Monica, it is so difficult for them to take up the water in that constant heat. Are you watering a lot at the moment? When we had 34°C a couple of weeks ago, I misted the leaves every evening with rain water to help absorption.. Perhaps this is something for you to consider !!
    I do find Atropurpureum performs really well and is very hardy in all conditions, this is why I reccomend it so much.
    Your Seiryu is looking good, you have chosen and placed well.

monicasanchez likes this.
  5. monicasanchez

Good evening Acerholic.

Yes, I am watering 3-4 times a week. I put a plate under them too, so that they could take better advantage of the water (the substrate dries quickly).

Thanks for the suggestion. The truth is that I did not wet the leaves because I was worried that they would be damaged, but if an expert recommends it, it will have to be tried.

Atropurpureum is a really interesting species. Recommended for beginners, without a doubt.

6. Acerholic

Hi again Monica, if you do mist the leaves, do not do it until very late in the evening and ensure they get no sun on the leaves after, as it will cause scorch. I always wait until the sun has dropped, after 9pm here.
    I was told by a very good old gardener a long long time ago who had beautiful plants and trees, that nature gives them water from above, so why are we always scared to give them what nature does so well.
    'It must be rain water though'.
    Keep us all posted.

7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi @Luke’s Maples. So Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium' is the same as Acer japonicum 'Mai Kujaku'?

Acer japonicum 'Mai kujaku' Dancing Peacock Japanese Maple

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  8. monicasanchez

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Now that is a study and a half, it will take some reading. More suitable for one of my scientist children, lol. But I will have a go later. Thankyou for putting a scientific spin on this Monica.

10. Acerholic

As I asked earlier about Dancing Peacock and I was put right by Luke @Luke’s Maples, I thought I would attach photos of my Acer japonicum ' Aconitifolium '. It is a lovely green atm and I am hoping for a kaleidoscope of colours in the Autumn.
    So if D @LoverOfMaples already has this one, you can cross Dancing Peacock off your list !! ? Or not !!!!!! Lol.

Attached Files:

11. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

12. LoverOfMaples

Just verifying that they were the same. 'Aconitifolium' pretty common here in the US as well. My first time seeing it called 'Mai Kujaku' was yesterday. Thanks for the heads up. I don't need 3 of the same tree, one with a different name. I guess I'm all set @Acerholic

13. Acerholic

Good evening D, well that's saved some money !! Or all ready for another new one..........

14. LoverOfMaples

Correct D. I will try to post a pic of my Dancing Peacocks if it not too dark once I get off.

15. Acerholic

We are all so alike, lol

16. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Had a tinge of nostalgia seeing Monica's green Seiryu as mine is changing so rapidly.
    My last pictures of Seiryu were only last Saturday yet the colors have moved on considerably on the outer exposed leaves.
    DSCN1281.jpg DSCN1284.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg DSCN1315.jpg

sun, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  17. Acerholic

18. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Stayed green the first summer in a pot in same location, since planting in ground moves through colors from end of spring on out.
    Still time for a lot of changes before November. LOL
    DSCN7138.jpg

Nik, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  19. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thank you for the advice. My gardener who cuts the grass and trims the yews, hollies and boxwoods usually trims all the hydrangeas pretty close to ground every fall. I'll skip the fertilizer and take care of them myself this year.

20. Acerholic

Do hope you get that lovely red this Autumn, this forum is going to be ablaze with colour.

21. Acerholic

Probably a good idea J.

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Monica, your maples look great for that heat!

Re 'Aconitifolium', that is the "real" registered cultivar name. The Japanese however have always called the maple 'Mai kujaku', and I guess it's pretty understandable that they might want us to call the maple that, given that they named it first! The Japanese name translates to "Dancing Peacock" which is a nice commercial name for us westerners! (I call mine Aconitifolium, my wife calls it "the peacock", so I guess she's right as usual.)

My experience with Guy Maillot is positive but not that extensive. I had a wrongly named maple, he offered either a replacement or money back, and at my request sent a check, which most nurseries simply wont do. I have had some mixed quality, maples that took a long time to get their feet under them, but that's not unusual from any source.

Thanks for the shout out on contributing! And go, Alain! :P I think this forum is the best for maples on the web, and am chuffed to see it getting so much traffic. For which D. deserves much due credit, too.

Well it's been a long day and a hard week, but thankfully over. Our department (county) asked us to represent them (along with 3 others people) in a publicity campaign to get people to move here. They're making some films and the production co was here all day filming, interviewing, drones, etc. Our great neighbors helped us get the place together, so it looked OK (I thought). We'll see what the films (30s, 2m, and 5-10m) look like in the fall! I took a panoramic shot of some of the Aceretum at sunset, and an interior shot, too. Interested to see if the panorama works, you may need to open it in a separate tab to see it.

Good night! -E

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, Nik, ROEBUK and 8 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

Good morning Emery, sounds like it was quite an experience having the cameras there in your garden. I wonder if it's possible in the Autumn to share on the forum the short film. I for one and I'm sure others would love to see it.
    Thankyou for the comment about traffic on the maples forum, very kind of you to say this.
    Lovely panoramic photo of your garden, makes me a teeny bit jealous lol. So glad you share it on the forum.
    Have a restful weekend.

24. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, on a wet day in Hampshire. Strong winds expected tomorrow, so took these a few minutes ago before they get blown away. I've added my Little Snowflake and Flavescens for the first time this season as they are starting to look quite nice. Ukigumo and Aureum, I'm just amazed at these this Summer. I've added 2 of Coral Magic as I just didn't know which one to post (so pretty). Anne Irene is turning so quickly, but enjoying the cooler weather.
    All of my maples are starting to show a little of what they are going to give me in just a couple of months time. But I mustn't wish the Summer away, lol.
    Would like your thoughts on my Little Snowflake or Ko Yuki.

Attached Files:

25. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

My favorite little red pygmy.
    Hi D, like your red acers.
    Here are my linearilobum acers, I don't think they do very well under full sun.
    The little red pygmy is one of my favourites.
    P

Attached Files: