Appreciation: The impulse to garden in hard times has deep roots

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Junglekeeper, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon @Junglekeeper, during these times of fear and stress it is comforting to know that so many have found comfort in their gardens.
    I myself had a stressful career and would return home after days away to find great comfort from tending my plants and lawn. It is by far IMO the best way to unwind for anybody and never so important to people around the world as it is now.
    Another good thread Junglekeeper.

3. Junglekeeper

4. Acerholic

Thanks @Junglekeeper, the problem we have these days with a vastly overcrowded planet of 8 billion, is that the young can only afford apartments with no gardens to relax in. A problem that is only going to get worse until major powers target population growth. But as most are supported by big business who believe that more people means more customers, it maybe a losing battle.
    I know this is a botanical forum, but threads like yours today is so very important, even if just to get members from all over the world to think and discuss these problems a little more.
    So your related article is very appropriate if you actually have a garden.
    I consider myself very fortunate in that regard.

5. Junglekeeper

Even so, one can bring a bit of the outdoors inside through container gardening. I myself have such a jungle. It's not as extensive but you can still benefit from getting your hands dirty.

6. Acerholic

Couldn't agree more, I am pleased that a gardening program in the UK called 'The Beechgrove Garden' is now including this in their weekly shows. It is the best gardening program in the UK IMO. More information and less about smiling at the camera as others do.