Showy Milkweed Feeding

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Yo_Jo, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

We bought this Showy Milkweed a few years ago to feed the butterflies but the only ones we have been seeing are the totally white ones. This afternoon the wife found this fuzzy moth sampling the goods. It didn’t even care that we were up close with the iPhone snapping some pictures.

Anyone know what type moth this is?

D6D4D903-C7F0-44BD-AEB6-656999FEE9E2.jpeg 441A5381-EC59-4547-8DA3-691D5393A88B.jpeg
    27595DAD-9187-46ED-BF48-F2F79E10E751.jpeg

Margot likes this.
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If no reply here, try bugguide.net . Glad to see it was so patient with you!

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The colour pattern on the wings is hard to make out, but it reminds me of the cutworm moths that I see regularly. There are many species.

4. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Thanks for the information. I do see the likeness to the cutworm moth.

5. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

I tried to increase the brightness on the third photo and the moth would appear to be a multitone gray that would not match well with photos 1-2. Are my eyes making a bad joke?

6. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Yeah, I am not the best photographer. The first two pictures with the moth in mid flight was taken by the wife. She does have some exceptional skills taking images on her iPhone 7 Plus. The dark stationary image was mine.