Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hippo are great and their plants are top quality, there is no doubt. But, there are a few other nurseries out there that are well worth exploring. The nursery I recommended last time was actually Acers Direct, who I believe you ordered Mikazuki from? They are good. John Billinger, who works for them called me a few weeks ago with a huge list of new plants they had grown. I ordered about 6 and he said he’d bring them over to me (as it’s you, he said) next time he’s in Oxford. What a legend!

Acers Online, who I think used to be called Budlake Nursery I haven’t used before. I’m impressed. Well worth a look. They sell lots of plants in 3 sizes. 3, 5 and 10ltr.

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Personal service Luke, now that's special customer care indeed. Even VIP treatment Lol.
    I am pleased with my Mikazuki, so will consider them again no doubt.
    Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at Acers online.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

No worries. If you message me your email address I can forward on their current stock list that they sent to me.

4. Luke’s Maples

I don’t want to sound like a show off but I also had a really good chat with Guy Maillot about variegated maples. I ordered a Peaches and Cream and he messaged me to say that the one he had had been over fertilised and had lost some of its colour. He sent it out advising that the second flush would be normal. Who am I to argue with him lol. He said he wanted to talk to me because I previously ordered Taimin Nishiki which he referred to as interesting and rare. He explained the importance of pruning out the reverting branches etc. I felt a bit star struck lol.

AlainK likes this.
  5. Acerholic

From the man himself, that is an honour. That is a really good contact to have if he has new cultivars. You will be one of the first he will contact. Excellent that he spent time explaining care to you.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

He has a very good reputation here in France too.

7. Acerholic

Is he your main supplier Alain?

8. AlainK

No.
    I'm one of the very few that got maples with "black spots" on the bark. When I realized a few days later that it was more than a benign symptom, I mailed him, but the conversation we had was... say, a bit difficult.

Since then, when I order a plant, or a tree online, I take photos of the package and when unwrapping several photos of the tree.

I maintain that the 3 maples I got at that time were already sick when I opened the package - maybe 3 in 3,000, but what I didn't like was his denial. He (or his staff) took days to reply.

Well that was years ago, so it must have been an unusual accident, from the many people who ordered from him, he's a very reliable supplier.

9. Acerholic

Good to hear positive and negative reports, that's why this forum is so useful. Thanks Alain.

10. AlainK

That's 1 vs 999.9, and I've got a very bad reputation here, so just take it for what it is - was.

11. Acerholic

Lol, I'm sure not Alain.

Cjart likes this.
  12. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

OK I have a non-maple question since you folks seem knowledgeable in all things green. My wife and I love hydrangeas but I have one lace cap that is a curiosity. It's very healthy but doesn't flower. It did the first year. Last year maybe one or two, and this year no visible buds. I fertilized it every year. The first two pics show it. What's the deal?

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and zfrittz like this.
  13. Acerholic

Good morning J, to answer your question about your Hydrangea. You have given the answer in your posting and your photos have confirmed it. IMO stop feeding and trim a third of the older stems in late Winter to ground level. Do not prune it all. Your Hydrangea has put on a lot of lush green growth from probably over fertilising IMO.
    Do make sure you also dead head the flowers once you get them next year to two leaves below the flower head.

Hope that's helped J

14. Acerholic

Did anybody see Mr Maple Acer Japonicum 'Dancing Peacock' video last night?
    I have a baby Acer japonicum 'Fairy Lights' with good Autumn foliage colour that I think is very similar, and will add a photo of mine here.

Does anybody have Dancing Peacock yet?

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Good morning Alain @AlainK. I've just noticed you have been made a Generous Contributor, a very well deserved title alongside Emery.
    Both of you put so much into the maple forums, it is a title next to your names that is very well suited to both of your UBC profiles.

' THANKYOU '

Cjart and Luke’s Maples like this.
  16. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

@Acerholic, what a beautiful red maple collection, and how well they keep the leaves and the color, just great, when I grow up I want a collection like this, in my house.
    And the latter, the Dancing Peacock, is very striking.
    Regards

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Thankyou J, it has taken over 42 years to collect though. I agree, the Dancing Peacock is striking.

18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Gm @dangerine49. I had the same problem with my lace cap. I stop pruning it. I let it leaf out in the spring, then prune back dead stems. Now it blooms like a champ.

Gm D. I saw it yesterday. I'm thinking about ordering one. It's been on my list for a bit now. I've been trying to increase my japonicum and shirasawanum inventory. I hate there are cultivars I will never probably be able to get my hands on.

19. Acerholic

Good afternoon D, time zones eh !!. So many people ignore the Japonicums as they say they are just green in the Summer. But IMO they are brighter and more diverse in colours than any of the palmatums in the Autumn. So I think everybody should have at least one.
    I couldn't agree more D, there are just so many out there that I would love to have but never will. On that note it's, time to buy a lottery ticket !!!!!!!!

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  20. Luke’s Maples

Hi. Yes I have it. It is also known as Aconitifolium. It is new to me this year so haven’t seen the autumn colours yet but I think they are going to be spectacular. The pictures I have seen show so many different colours all on one leaf. Purple, yellow, red, orange, pink...

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Luke’s Maples

Question. How do you have different levels of ‘status’ attributed to you here? Acerholic I see you are a forum moderator for example. Is this something you volunteer to be or...?

22. Luke’s Maples

Yes indeed, thank you!

23. Acerholic

Hi Luke, thanks for that info, I too have Aconitifolium and did not know it was also called Dancing Peacock. You learn something every day on this forum. Mine is new for 2020 so something to look forward to as you say.

24. Luke’s Maples

Lol, I thought it was strange you not having it. Mine was really nice in spring actually with lots of very pretty flowers.

25. Acerholic

It's all down to Trophy points and that gives different titles for members over the years from New Member to Paragon of plants. I rather like the title 'Generous Contributor' out of all of them tbh, it's quite special IMO. ( it's that word 'Generous') and what it implies.
    Regarding moderator. I did volunteer for it as I am retired and can devote a lot more time to something I really enjoy. If I was still at work I really would not have had the time at all tbh.
    Hope that's cleared that up for you.
    PS , watch those pots these next few days with this wind.