Understory plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Bobs, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

A correspondent is trying to identify this understory plant growing in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area in rich clay soil among box elders, oaks, basswood and maples. Although it resembles Acer spicatum, that plant would be unusual here and leaf texture, venation and petiole color and probably other characteristics do not match.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm not certain, but have a read through this: Viburnum edule (Squashberry): Minnesota Wildflowers and note that the leaves on the young plants are different from older plants. I would like to see a good photo of the buds.

I spent a summer doing a riparian plant survey in Manitoba, I see some things I recognize in the background, like wild grape.

3. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

We took a look (online) at some viburnums including V. acerifolium but the leaves appear to be finely toothed while those in the above photos are not. So how much license does genetic diversity allow when it comes to such characteristics? Thanks a lot.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like Viburnum opulus.

5. Bobs

Bobs Active Member