Shrub to be identified

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Arlette, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Hi!
    I am at my first message (a greeting to all !!!) and I hope it is inserted correctly and understandable.
    We are trying to identify this shrub or small tree with tetrastic decussate leaves already dying and "saved" with a short pruning. Various hypotheses have been made but none proved correct.
    Does anyone recognize it? Thank you!!

Id 2 (2).jpg Id. (2).jpeg IMG_20200624_171203_copy_600x800 (2).jpg

2. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

I know that recognition is not the easiest so I will add more information in order to make it less unlikely.
    The plant was run down and a nursery was throwing it away. A "savior" of plants of mine took her home last year and pruned her short and the one in the picture is the regrowth (about 80 cm). The leaves are 10-12 cm long.
    Among the various hypotheses made I also thought it could be some kind of Osmanthus (O. fragrans aurantiacus, O. yunnanensis........) also taking into account the characteristic of Heterophyllia of the plant, the arrangement of the leaves on the branch (which, I repeat, are opposite- decussate-tetrastic) and the appearance of the apex.
    Only an hour ago I was told that it is deciduous so all my construction comes, however, to fall.
    I begin to despair and look forward to a possible flowering.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Flowering, or second year growth perhaps. I'm suspicious that these are suckering leaves and not their normal form.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'm suspicious that these are suckering leaves and not their normal form

Yes: the buds are like that of an oak, maybe the leaves also. Yet the paired and opposite leaf arrangement is not.

5. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Thanks to both!!!!
    Your answers have a little comforted me in this search !!!
    In fact, the plant is to be understood as a young plant and can have "growing changes".
    However I have a hard head and there are topics for which my curiosity is endless so I will continue to search in light of your indications (I will try to investigate seedlings , young plants.........) and the news of the loss of the leaves in winter!
    Bye bye!!!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's not quite the same as being a young plant. If it is a sucker, then it may indeed have irregular growth due hormonal disruption. These aren't often photographed...

7. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

It 's right but ........................ it doesn't hurt to try !!
    Also because often in research it can happen that you can meet something that can give you an idea about the family the plant belongs to. Sometimes, at least, it happened to me.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Would that actually be a hard head or instead a hardwood head? (You know, as in a head for hardwoods).

9. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

We say: when I put something in my head I take it to the station !!!