soil purchase

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bet mac, Jun 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bet mac

bet mac New Member

Soil I purchased in bulk from a nursery which comes from outside lower mainland looks like mostly sand. what is the composition of 'manufactured' soil? It looks dead. Are there any micronutrients in it? What ammendments should I add aside from my lovely compost.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi bet mac, you need to go back to the supplier firstly and obtain some history of where the top soil came from. All top soils purchased are different, it all depends where it was sourced.
    If you have purchased soil that is less than suitable for your needs, it will be a matter of negotiating with the supplier to collect it and ask for a refund, less the transport costs.
    If you do find another supplier, do visit them first and inspect the soil. 'Do not buy blind'. This is something I do every time ( inspect). But when I receive my soil I always add nutrients in the way of home made compost that is suitable to what I'm growing, (maples mainly).
    Your compost will have everything in it, ie micronutrients, including worms etc etc to give the soil all the help it needs.

3. bet mac

bet mac New Member

Thank you for yr reply. I always check the soil at the nursery but that isnt always what is delivered. I live on the Sunshine Coast so it is trucked in. Of course, I complain which goes nowhere & I never use that nursery again. As a Master Gardener I am curious as to what is the usual content in this 'manufactured soil'. I use a mason jar, add water & then a handful of soil, when it settles it is nearly always all sand.

4. Acerholic

The trouble with manufactured soil is that is it is from recycled products. But they should always tell you what it is made up from. If it is made up of that much sand, I would consider not using it. Not easy I know as you have had it bulk delivered, but if not suitable you could pay the price long term in your garden. Only advatantage is that it is very free draining, if that is what is required.

5. bet mac

bet mac New Member

6. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Bet mac, what are you planning on using the soil for? If we add that info to the what you're going to learn by asking the supplier about what it contains (Acerholic is right they should always tell you if asked), then we could help with some ideas about how to amend it. Compost is always a great start!

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@bet mac, any updates on your purchased soil? As @Tom Hulse has said, ideas of what to add for the plants you are using it for can then be suggested.