bio question, red beet inside anomaly

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by vicarious1, Jun 27, 2020.

?

Have you come across this

1. often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. never

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    I cook veggie soup every week end for breakfast noodles etc. I always add a sliced beet for colour and platelet benefit. This one looked perfect from the outside. So I peel and slice and nothing looked out of the ordinary. But I hand a SO who likes to be right and tell me I never check properly. What can this be? He said it was already rotten. I say no way it was hard like stone. The dark part is actually still hard and not softer like the rest that has skow cooked two hours.
    Anyone can give me a bio scientific answer to put the SO back in the chair?
    I am an artist and avid gardener. I always do my best for healthy food. To me this looks like a cancer of the veggie or else?

I have been cooking for us nineteen years and we are proportionate and not overweight.

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It's either Pythium ultimum or Rhizoctonia solani. A fungal disease of beetroots, often associated with cold and wet growing conditions at the first half of the growing season.

3. vicarious1

Hello thank you very much. My help requested is to make a point to my SO
    Is this visible to the eye when chopping the this beet or not?
    I am and experienced vegetable chopper with a Chinese cleaver or knives for smaller greens. Naturally once I picked, peel, cut and then I don't look at each slice in detail as they are they are in Julienne slices on a cutting board and I just slide then into the soup like any cook would do. Thanks for you reply. Much appreciated.

4. vicarious1

Following your name I have found this Root Rot of Table Beets fact sheet

But no one tells us if it's visiblev to eye
    BEFORE cooking in the red beets. Naturally I expect in the Golden yellow ones I may obvious. You may found these details ulr interesting Thank you

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It can be felt when slicing. There is slight difference how the knife slides through the beet root, if the infection is present.