Advice please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by pphdam, Jun 24, 2020.

1. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Would anyone kindly give me advice on buying a red acer. I am looking a plant that displays bright red or redder colour (but not dark red) in summer with less chances turning green in full afternoon sun.

I come across these acers – Pixie, Skeeters Broom and Shaina while searching on internet, I would like to know which one has the best bright red colour of the three and meets the above requirements.

Thank you.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning and welcome to the maples forum, re your question, I have the three you are thinking about and IMO Skeeters broom has the best red and holds it all Summer. I will post a photo of mine to let you see. I have also added Shaina and Pixie from my garden as a comparison for you.
    One thing to remember is that the reds do need some good morning sunshine to keep their red colour longer.

Hope this is of help

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK and pphdam like this.
  3. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Good morning D, thank for the advice and photos. Your acers are lovely, I wish I have all three. I like the red colour in your first and second photo, so I have decided to order a Skeeter Broom and Shaina and will post the photos when they arrive in a few weeks. What other red dissectum acers that you would recommend for bright red colour? I have Garnet and Garnet Tower but their colours are not bright and turning green even though they get morning sun only. Thanks

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  4. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Also garnet tower photo

Attached Files:

zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  5. Acerholic

Hi I have several red Dissectum'sbut Crimson Queen, English Lace and Red Dragon are holding their red very well this year.
    I will add these three photos for you.
    Hope that's of help.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Can I just add, that all my Dissectum's lose their red to a deep burgandy and some greening through the Summer compared to my Palmatum, Amoneum leaf group.
    I will add one more of these for you it's the Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum '.
    This takes full sun all day every day and the red is glorious IMO. Even in the rain, lol

Hope that hasn't given to you a dilemma lol

Attached Files:

7. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Thanks D, love the photos. Both palmatum and dissectum plants are my favourite. I do have an Atropurpureum, it has a nice colour but it does not do well in my garden, its leaves have lots of dry spots. I don't know if it has disease, too much sun or too dry. By the way all my acers are planted in a pot, but they are watered regularly.
    P

Attached Files:

zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  8. Acerholic

Hi, this could well be a fungus called leaf spot that should be treated with a fungicide as soon as it is seen. Too late for this season now, but consider spraying early next Spring. This Autumn pick up all leaves it drops and destroy.
    To add, do you water with a hose from the top ? The spots can be the effect of water drying by strong sunlight causing the markings.

IMO, I would consider repotting your Atropurpureum in the Autumn, watering from below always unless misting at night during very hot weather in Summer and spraying it in the Spring with Fungus Fighter whether you see markings starting to appear or not.
    Hope that's of some help.

9. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Hi D, thanks again the advice. I usually water the plants from below with a watering can, so the markings are unlikely caused by watering. I will repot it in autumn and get some Fungus Fighters to spray the plants next spring. Can this Fungus Fighter also be used to treat fungus in acer nodes and branches?

10. Acerholic

Hi P, I spray trees that have shown signs of fungus the previous season thoroughly in 'very' early Spring (March) sometimes in February before buds start to open. This will not cure, but will prevent the fungus taking over the maple. It is systemic so is absorbed by the tree. Obviously if the tree is very large it becomes more difficult.

11. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Hi D, thanks again for the advice.

P

12. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

My Skeeters Broom arrived much quicker than I expected. It is a nice young plant about 90 cm tall.
    I was not able to get a Shaina as it was out of stock. I am now going to search for the dissectum acers recommended by D Acerholic.
    P

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

Good morning P, That looks a very nice healthy Skeeters Broom. It does need the sunlight to get the wonderful reds. You can see the hint of this on some of your leaves. As it's been in a box and transport etc etc and probably in a shaded position at the nursery, the colours will be a bit dull atm. 2021 you will have a WOW in your garden.

14. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

[QUOTE="pphdam, post: 386697, member: 70590 »] .../... I do have an Atropurpureum, it has a nice colour but it does not do well in my garden, its leaves have lots of dry spots. I don't know if it has disease, too much sun or too dry. By the way all my acers are planted in a pot, but they are watered regularly.
    P[/QUOTE]

On your photo, most of the dry spots are made by leaf miner (fly larva). Edit, larvae.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    zfrittz, AlainK, pphdam and 1 other person like this.
  15. Acerholic

I think @opusoculi has hit the nail onto head re 'leaf miner larvae'.
    There is a natural predator you can purchase, a small wasp that kills these. Diglyphus isaea. They can be purchased online.

16. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

@
    On your photo, most of the dry spots are made by leaf miner (fly larva). Edit, larvae.[/QUOTE]

Hi opusoculi, many thanks for the info, I will start the treatment as soon as possible.

17. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Hi D, I agree it needs more sun to show the red colour and I am sure it will be lovely next year.
    Just as I bought a green dissectum acer without an identity tag last year and didn't think it was red until this year, to my surprise it was red in spring and now turning dark red, hopefully it is not going to turn green again! The photos were taken in 7/2019, 4/2020 and 6/2020.

I will look into Diglyphus isaea, thanks.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

19. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hi opusoculi, many thanks for the info, I will start the treatment as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]

Not as soon as possible, because they are out and flying now ! But adults will return to lay their eggs, or not ... They normaly prefer new fresh leaves , of basil for instance .
    You have tu study the cycle of american leaf miner to be ready next year, probably ending april and begining may.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    pphdam likes this.
  20. Acerholic

21. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Hi opusoculi, many thanks again for the info.

22. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Hi D, many thanks again for the info.

Acerholic likes this.
  23. vbx

vbx Active Member

only red maple I have is bloodgood. looks great during first flush of leafing. especially when sunlight hits it.

Attached Files:

pphdam likes this.
  24. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Hi vbx, your plant is lovely. I went to a DIY store recently and saw a few Bloodgood on sale, was thinking to get one but then changed my mind because I might not get a pure Bloodgood.

25. Acerholic

A lot of people sell Bloodgood that are from seed and IMO these are not pure Bloodgood. You are right to be suspicious P. @pphdam. Always check for a grafting union.