Urgent help for dracena

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jadetricolor, Jun 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

I give it water every 3 days and it's indoors and in low light
    However the temperature is 45-55 Celsius on a normal bases and I fear the temperature is the reason it's leaves are turning yellow and flopping
    Weirdly the one on it's lower end seems fine. I really don't know what to do
    Yesterday brought it into the ac room where temperatures are around 22 Celsius.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, Jadetricolor. Why is the soil white? When was the last time it was repotted? Is the soil actually dry when you water it?
    I think most of us have no idea what plants (and omg, people!) require in temperatures of 45 C degrees but low light. I would never water a dracaena like that every three days, but I have never grown one in those conditions.
    For this plant, I would cut it off near the base, and cut the top so it has about 10cm below the leaves, and push that cutting into the soil. Unless it's rootbound, in which case I would repot it, and still add the new cutting to the pot, or into another pot.

Jadetricolor likes this.
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Since 'Tricolor' is a variegated variety it needs more light than the species. I suspect it's yellowing from a lack of light. (The shorter one is NOT doing fine.) Try moving it to a location with bright, indirect light.

Jadetricolor likes this.
  4. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

I haven't repotted yet
    Got it as it is from the nursery two weeks ago
    The soil is garden soil
    So is it because of low light and should I repot

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2020
  5. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

Just repotted it wcutler. It really was way too big for its pot. Hopefully it'll get better >_<

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2020
  6. Junglekeeper

Was it healthy and quite different looking two weeks ago when you bought this? If that is the case, a lack of light would not account for the quick decline.

7. wcutler

I don't really want to say things to make you or your plant feel bad, but I am surprised that a nursery would sell a plant in this condition. Or was it in a rescue area? Did the long bare stems particularly appeal to you? I don't think they are helping the situation.

8. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

Yes, but the only difference may be that the temperature increased drastically after I bought it

9. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

Yes you could say it was a nursery of that sort. I do infact like the look, that's why I bought it like that. Reported and next to the window, will update. Now aiming to water every 5 days(is that ok?) Plus keeping it in cooler place and in a bigger pot

10. wcutler

I can't answer on the watering (ha-ha, but I just read what I wrote, seems that didn't stop me). Cooler and larger pot and so few leaves should require less water, closer to the window would require more water. You will have to feel how heavy the pot is after you water it, and then see how long it takes for it to feel dry a little under the surface and to feel lighter. See if you can figure out when the leaves look a little more droopy - that's when you can tell it needs water. It's hard to tell with this one.

11. Junglekeeper

It's still unclear to me what the condition of the plant was at time of purchase. Let's assume it was healthy:
    • The original soil should be acceptable if it hadn't been changed recently.
    • The water being used should be all right as long as the pH is neither too basic or acidic. Take care to not over- or under-water. Water not on a schedule but rather when the plant needs it.
    • Depriving the plant of light for two weeks would not cause it to decline as it has.
    • The high temperature may be a problem but then this a tropical plant. It is native to Madagascar which is much closer to the equator than Pakistan. The blog below documents it growing outdoors in Malaysia. You may find some useful information there. Perhaps you can grow it outdoors in a location protected from direct sun.
    You may want to check with your friends and neighbours to see if they're growing this plant and the level of success they've had.

References:

12. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

Thankfully so much! I'm so glad this forum exists!

13. Jadetricolor

Jadetricolor New Member

Thankyou! I'll read the article