Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Wow, what a deal there. Unbelievable discount. Is the tree getting too big to sale esp. shipping so they just want to get rid off?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi S, 'what a list', IMO it would be worth creating a thread all of it's own entitled something like Japanese Maples Lace leaf Varieties or something similar.
    Also I would suggest you place individual photos of each cultivar in the maples photo gallery if you have photos that is and not already done. I have actually just referred to it in my previous posting.
    Hope that's of help.

3. Acerholic

The trouble is it looks toooo good to pass up lol

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very good advice. I think that most pictures and comments are posted either in the Spring or in Autumn to share the beauty of our trees. The number of messages tend to get lower in Summer, and even lower in winter when the branches are bare. It's like a sinusoid, but the maple craze can de dormant, it never dies ! ;-)

Acerholic likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I have Alpenweiss, Higasayama, and Abigail Rose. I was wondering if Iro Iro is worth growing as well. I like the two different leaf on one tree. Yours look nice btw! Matt and Tim told me it's an old japanese cultivar. I'm think I will add it to the collection.

6. Mani

Mani Active Member

Is there a particular reason to wait for the evening to water other than saving water through evaporation?

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Selection of trees from this evening, phew it's been a hot one today but we have had a nice breeze to make it more bearable? Two leaves on the Baldsmith getting way ahead of themselves and the shigure batu never seen this pattern/colour before?

Attached Files:

sun, emery, zfrittz and 8 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

You are right that evaporation is the reason. Watering in this heat often evaporates before getting to the roots, which is what you are trying to achieve. Water when it is cool and you use less water and help the trees.

9. Acerholic

Absolutely wonderful M, and the Shigure Bato is just weired but beautiful as well. Wouldn't mind seeing a tree that colour all the time. I would buy it lol.
    The wet Winter and early Spring is certainly making some exciting trees this year.
    It's still 29° C here, must be a bit cooler now up North with the breeze. Rain on Saturday forecast so our trees can recover a bit.
    Enjoyed the photos a lot M.

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Glad you liked them, yes the shigure batu is very strange this year, never seen this before reminds me of the 'Milligan' mind you i am seeing some very interesting colours this year in lots of cultivars. Nice weather but couldn't do with this every day especially with all the container trees i have to water.

11. Acerholic

Yes totally agree M, it's one of those strange years, but enjoyable to see the amazing colours and especially the Shirasawanum's. Im getting some strange second flush on my old green dissectum and Emerald Lace also. Still loving the colours on your Red Wine btw. Yes watering and misting is taking forever.
    Hope you get a good nights sleep in this heat, 21° at midnight tonight, might sleep with my trees Lol

12. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

When you said two different leaf on one tree I thought one of them is reverted from the root stock that we normally want to get rid off. I got mine from a grower in Oregon few years ago.
    Yes, very nice photos eps. the Shigure Batu is indeed having a strange pattern. Is it a green dissectum like Viridis?.

13. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

So D., do you know any site or place that has this type of list categorizes by red/green dissectum, ghost family, red/green palmatum, ...?. I guess we can always go back to Vertrees book then.

14. Acerholic

Hi S, no I don't tbh, I do use Vertrees like a bible though and look through it almost daily. But if you were to start a new thread on this topic, I'm sure it will be followed keenly and added to by members with comments etc. Your posting today will probably get lost in the 88 pages and counting of 'cheering ourselves up with maples'. It will still be there, but how many people will go back through that many pages.
    I'm a bit of a muppet and actually do, but don't tell anyone lol.

15. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@Atapi I think there was talk about Higasayama reverting but not 100% sure. I will have to go into the thread to check. My Abigail Rose is prone to mildew.

Here is a link to Mr.Maple showing the pics and description of Iro Iro.

Acer palmatum 'Iro iro' Japanese Maple

I ask them about reverting and they said no, its the growth habit.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  16. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi D (Acer), I think I will start a new thread per your rec.
    Hi D (Lover), wow i didn't know they come in two different leaves like that. I should have keet mine going as is w/o taking out the other leaves off. So I think you should let Matt & Tim find you one.

17. Acerholic

18. Acerholic

Well it's only 24° C today with a gentle breeze and rain forecast tonight and tomorrow. I've checked everything and atm all looks OK. I was misting until 11pm last night, so think it has helped for this mini heatwave. Quite a lot of bronzing going on, but it's the cultivars that do this every year at this time.
    How has everyone else fared?

19. Acerholic

Just took this of my Iijima sunago as an example of bronzing of older leaves and second flush occurring now. The heat has not affected this one at all and it's in full sun all day.

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK, Nik and 2 others like this.
  20. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

32c last 2 days and it doesn’t seem much cooler today..the 80% chance of rain last night did not happen.. All under control though

21. Acerholic

Good afternoon R, glad to hear yours are doing well. Let's hope we get that rain tonight with cooler temps tomorrow.

dicky5ash likes this.
  22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

It's been pretty warm here too and very dry. No rain for over a week. I went out to do some watering today and took a few shots. My beautiful chartreuse Autumn Moons are so different from their British cousins. Most of my JM's are doing OK, but a couple are looking stressed. Hopefully we get some rain tomorrow.

Attached Files:

sun, monicasanchez, AlainK and 5 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

Good evening J, what a wonderful group of photos, those lime greens are gorgeous. Yes isn't it strange your Autmn Moons and ours over here are so different this year, or yours are a little behind due to our very hot May. Who knows tbh with maples.
    Is that a June bug btw?

24. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

25. Acerholic

Thanks for the link J , interesting. As you say 'huge'.