Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Acerholic

Good morning D, you do have some wonderful suppliers in the US. Makes it all the more difficult to say No. Lol

3. Acerholic

OK, this is silly, its 30°C in my garden at 1000hrs. Took a few photos of how some are doing, a couple not so good (Peaches) and the measures I take to shelter my young ones in the garden. Lol
    More to do with wind breaks next.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

In between dodging the sun and getting more shade for my maples, I took this one of my Aureum. What a year for Shirasawanum's !!!! Just glowing in the hot sun. Next year maybe a totally different story !! So I'm enjoying them while I can and taking lots of photos, just in case Lol

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Just about to sit down under my parasol for the afternoon ,when I saw my Autumn Moon glowing at me. Thought I would share it with you before I melt, 32° C now in my garden , Lol.
    You were right M @ROEBUK hot in Hampshire today. Now you can take pleasure in being in cooler Yorkshire.

Attached Files:

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@Acerholic are your shirasawanum in full sun? I'm loving the colors.

7. Acerholic

Good afternoon D, yes full sun, can you believe it !!! I'm making the most of them now, as its 33° C here right now.
    Thankyou for loving the colours

8. LoverOfMaples

@Acerholic no problem. I hope mine color up like your this year.

9. Acerholic

Btw D, did you order Usigumo?

10. Acerholic

It will be
    It will be interesting to see !!!! Seems to happen every few years, then a year or two looking a bit drab.

11. LoverOfMaples

They were sold out by the time I got ready to checkout. But they are going to see if any is left for me.

12. Acerholic

Fingers crossed for you D this side of the warm pond.

13. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D. I need it.

I just decided to look at temp conversions and yall are getting some heat over there. Those are the temps I grow up in down south US. We are up and down in the 80s here in RI (NE US). Keep those maples watered.

14. Acerholic

Just hit 35°C on my patio and 33° in the shade where my babies are kept. 'Lots of misting tonight'. I bet @Mani in London is really melting today.

15. Mani

Mani Active Member

Lol, I kinda like it! :D Accuweather is saying it's "only" 31 where I am now and 29 in the shade.

Put my rubber plant outside, thought it'd like the tropical weather and it began to wilt!!!

I have two acers which are in mostly full sun - hoping their leaves are not too damaged! They've held up well so far!

This fantastic weather makes a change!! I go into spasms of thinking I'm in another country because it's soooo unusual :DDD

16. Acerholic

In my heavily shadiest area 2 minutes ago.

Attached Files:

17. Mani

Mani Active Member

Hot, hot, hot!!!

18. Acerholic

Lol, Do give them a drink tonight when the sun goes down if you haven't already, it is surprising the amount of evaporation in this heat and consider misting with rain water if you have it at hand.

19. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hello D. & D., Iro Iro is same family like Hygasayama, Alpenweiss. Mine is a bit slow growing first but this year it adds another foot so far ̣(same as my Alpenweiss).
    D (Acer) here is my RIR in spring. Cheers all!

Attached Files:

zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 3 others like this.
  20. Acerholic

Yes I will be interested to hear from others in the UK today how their maples are faring and what they have put in place to protect them. @Luke’s Maples and @dicky5ash might be struggling ?? But I expect @ROEBUK to say "heat what heat", lol

21. Mani

Mani Active Member

I don't have rain water - what's your set up for storing it?

22. Acerholic

Good afternoon S, great to hear from you, Your photos are wonderful they are very happy maples. RIR is looking perfect, must be the position and great care it receives.
    You are right Iro Iro is like my Higasayama, so I can cross that one off my list lol

23. Acerholic

I have large water butts that collects all the rain water during Spring and supplies all I need unless we get a drought. I do always keep some back for misting as I do not want this hard tap water on my maple leaves.
    I would reccomend getting at least one to everybody on this forum.

24. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hello D. et al, recently I have a few people acquired my maples and most of them asked me how many cultivars out there just for Red dissectum (lace leaf) and I thought it was 30 to 40 the most until I started to put together the list. Guess how many are there so far? ... over 70 and more ... lol
    BTW, unless one is into JMs else all one knows is the red lace leaf Japanese Maples on people front yard like Tamukeyama, Crimson queen, Red Garnet... until they see your collection then they realized there are a whole lot more than just a few red dissectum out there that most people are known.

So I wonder is there a site or page some where incl. our JM society that keeps up to date all the different cultivars/species i.e red dissectum that we can refer to?.

I took sometimes to build this list starting with my red diss. then add more from various large growers out there in US incl. Mr. Vertrees latest edition...
    So please feel free to add/substract those that belong to the Red Dissectum family if you wish to help building the list that we can refer to from here on.
    Many thanks to you all.

Acer Palmatum - Red Dissectum:

Ash’s Scarlet Princess

Baby lace

Baldsmith

Barrie Bergman

Beni Kumo No Su

Beni Shidare

Beni Tsumagaki Shidare

Beni Tsukasa shidare

Berrima Bridge

Bewley’s red

Black Dragon

Brocade

Bronzewing

Chantilly Lace

Crimson Princess

Crimson Queen

Dad’s Best

Dark Straw

Dissectum Atropurpureum

Dissectum Nigrum

Dr. Baker

Dr. Brown

Dragon Fire

Ebony

Elmwood Spreader

Emma

Ever Red

Felice

Fire cracker

Garnet

Garnet tower

Hana Matoi

Hatsu Shigure

Hanzell

Heartbeat

Inaba Shidare

Jedeloh Orange

Kim

Lil Anne jewels

Lion heart

Manyo no sato

Mioun

Mr. T

Octopus

Ornatum

Orangeola

Pendulum Julian

Pink Filligree

Raraflora

Red Autumn Lace

Red dragon

Red feathers

Red garnet

Red Filligree

Red Spider webb

Red web

Rila’s Red (Rials?)

Rosemaries Ornatum

Rubifrolium

Ruby Lace

Shojo Shidare

Stella Rossa

Sunset

Tamuke yama

Toyama

Van Den Akker

Watnong

dangerine49 and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

This thread is still going strong, but I have had it pointed out to me that there are some wonderful photos of your trees that may get lost in all the pages of the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread and I do agree with the comment. So when you post a photo of a single maple, do also consider placing it in the maples photo gallery under the cultivar heading. This will ensure that when any of us might want to return to have a look at a particular maple, it is easy to find.

Acerholic

LoverOfMaples likes this.