Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

There was talk of petioles and yellow leaves recently but already buried back a couple pages.
    Not enough overall sunlight for the classic Aureum color but surreal nonetheless.
    4 pics of the same shoot, 2 at dawn and 2 a couple hours later in bright shade though the day before. LOL
    No photo enhancing ever.
    06.23.20 06.06 AM.jpg 06.23.20 06.08 AM.jpg

06.22.20 08.37 AM.jpg 06.22.20 08.46 AM.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening G, it was me that mentioned the Petioles a couple of days ago, this thread does move on lol. Yours are standing out beautifully on your gorgeous Aureum. Tbh a lot of people ignore the colour of these, but I think they really make a maple look that bit special. I'm not including people on this forum btw in that comment.
    Amazing photos G.

3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi @Atap. Yes, i believe that is correct. You would think they would be commonly seen in garden centers and nurseries, nope!

4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thanks, I like this one since they keep stay in the dwarf form and round.

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Rhode Island Red today, two slightly different angles. I’ve had it for three years now, it has quadrupled in size, but still a ‘dwarf’. No watering this year whatsoever.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Re the Rhode Island Red, is it a true Bloodgood dwarf S @Atapi ? I see what you're saying also D @LoverOfMaples. Why is it not for sale where you live?
    Over here the maples with names like English Town, English Lace, Westonbirt Red and Orange and Spreading Star, Sherwood Flame, Wakehurst pink, Lionheart, etc etc etc are all good sellers in the UK, due initially because of the names IMO ( They are lovely as well tbh).

Just an observation.

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

LoverOfMaples, they have it every spring at Van Wilgen’s. That is where I got it from.

8. Acerholic

Good evening Nik, now I know where I've seen it before, Lol. It is perfect where you have it, looks like a seed has landed and just started growing. Such clever planting Nik.

Nik likes this.
  9. Nik

Nik Contributor

Spring last year, same tree..

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, dangerine49 and AlainK like this.
  10. Acerholic

This years photos are showing good healthy growth. It is obviously very happy in that position. I can see why you chose a dwarf, you would not want it any bigger IMHO.

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, very beautiful pictures of what you can't picture.

12. Mani

Mani Active Member

Never had the nerve to purchase a tree online before but that's a cracker!!!

Acerholic likes this.
  13. LoverOfMaples

@Acerholic I have no clue but I thought it would make sense to market it better. Well maybe because it's a dwarf. There are plenty of reds around. Like Bloodgood, Emperor 1, Crimson Queen, and Tamukeyama are pretty common.

@Nik I love Van Wilgen's. I still take a trip there 2 to 3 times a year for my pinebark mulch and pots for seedling. They are they only place that have my pinebark mulch chips in the NE. It was very convenient when I lived in CT. My first time seeing a RI Red was there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  14. Acerholic

Good morning Mani, there are some very good suppliers online for maple purchasing, just be wary of some chap on the internet selling trees.
    If you decide to buy online then this forum is the best at advice on where to purchase without a doubt.

Mani likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@Nik & @LoverOfMaples, I just love it when I see this thread where people can relate to another's posting, our maple hobby brings us all together in so many ways !! It does bring a smile to my face. 'Excellent'.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Good morning S, are you thinking of buying this one for your new potted theme garden?

17. Acerholic

Hi G @Harcuvar this is the posting re the container I use after our PM discussion this morning..
    D

Harcuvar likes this.
  18. Acerholic

I thought I would show how my ghosts are doing on day 3 of the heat above 27° C and tbh they are not doing too bad IMO. It is currently 30° C here at 1230 hrs. They are:- Purple, Amber, First, Sister, Grandma, Uncle and last but not least my baby Baby ghost being kept in a lot of shade.
    All their roots are moist and they will get a good misting tonight. Fingers crossed they will cope.

Attached Files:

19. LoverOfMaples

I ordered A. oliverianum 'Hot Blonde' and A. palmatum 'Firefly' yesterday.

I messaged Matt and Tim (2 very nice guys) @ Mr. Maple last week telling them how I love 'Hot Blonde'. I followed by asking if they had at lease one hiding in the greenhouse since they were showing sold out. After talking and checking they found one for!!!

emery and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

You are Soooooo lucky D, that is one to show on the thread when you get it. Firefly looks as though it will be interesting also with its lime green veining and reticulation. Two lovely aqusitions D. Yes Tim and Matt seem very nice and down to earth that I've seen on their YouTube videos, I do like that in a person.
    Keep us all updated. Exciting eh !!!!

21. LoverOfMaples

I will definitely do D.

22. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

They seem to be very happy indeed. You must be doing a great job!

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Luke’s Maples

Wow, Hot Blonde. Lovely. Did you know there is a tree called that? Lol

24. Luke’s Maples

Yes, I know, that jokes already been done lol

25. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi D., no I am not as a matter of fact, I bought one from Mr. Maples few years ago and it is doing fine. Sorry, for the misunderstanding.